Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Blue Smoke

2toyotas

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Hi, im having a intermittent issue with my 120 D4D Land cruiser, so ive had injectors replaced, air mass sensor replaced, seals replaced, but for some reason its burning oil and a misfire on start up, can't drive it cold or massive knocking, but the oil cloud on start up is only when it isnt used often, i may use it all weekend and only shows Saturday when i first start it, all day Saturday, all day sunday, nothing after its been used, leave it a few days and boom big oil cloud, im stumped

As Flint said....sounds like valve guide oil seals ... oil running down valves burning off on start up .

Maybe worth lifting the rocker cover and seeing if one seal has lifted off it's seat on the head .

Interesting replies there chaps, i didn't think stem seals was an issue with these engines, thought that it was usually neglected and abused petrol engines that hadn't seen fresh oil in years where the seals became brittle and useless.

Would neglect of routine servicing be a contributory factor for stem seal issues on our Diesels too?

Any error codes? Has the scv valve been changed?

Yes.... these modern diesels breath a lot of recycled gases and are prone to sludge build up as we all know ...

Modern diesels are forced to run in much less than ideal configurations..... I would love to see a modern diesel built to run at it's most efficient for power and economy....not what comes out the exhaust .... the resulting engine would be stunning as far as power and toque are concerned and probably very fuel efficient and able to go long hrs or miles between services due to not rebreathing it's own exhaust .

It's a shame the bigger picture isn't taken into account by those dictating engine emissions ..... fuel useage and long oil change intervals would more than make up for increased NOX output .

An example - When I worked for a major AG manufacturer our engines could run 100% Bio fuel .... but to do so reduced oil change intervals from 600 hrs to every 100 hrs ...also fuel filter change interval was similarly affected .... so as this engine took 20litres of engine oil per change it was now needing 1oo litres more of valuable oil and an additional 5 oil filters and 10 fuel filters all requiring production and having a carbon foot print just to run on bio ..... you don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure what the most environmental friendly engine was .

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi thanks for the replies and support, i believe it could be injectors, even though I had them changed, i have the so called death rattle, also have the misfire when cold, i think the blue smoke could be oil leaking from an injector, im going to these checked as its still on warranty

Back