1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bonnet flutter.

hopeless wanderer Aug 9, 2017

1. hopeless wanderer

hopeless wanderer Well-Known Member I am in england

Map
    After giving it some beans down the A1 today I noticed something a little unnerving.
    My bonnet is lifting a little at motorway speed, it's only a few MM but it's a bit off putting as I'm always worried I haven't closed it properly and it's gonna come up to meet the windscreen.
    I've taken the brace out prepping for my front mount intercooler but it's not that flexing. If I try to lift the bonnet when it's shut it comes up 7-8 MM. Is their an adjustment or is it a new catch that's needed?
    My Subaru had a worn catch where the pin strikes but it looks fine on Brenda.

2. fbnss

fbnss Well-Known Member Supporter I am in england

Map
    Mine does it too but i've not looked into it.

3. karl webster

karl webster Land Cruiser Club sponsor Promoted Company Land Cruiser Club Promoted Company

Map
    Mine does.
    On each side of the inner wings/ slam pannel there's a rubber thing each side that can be adjusted. It's something to do with setting those up.
    That's what it is with mine anyway. I expect the locking mech could be adjust a little as well.

4. goodoldboy

goodoldboy Well-Known Member

Map
    Yep had the same problem on my 95 & as Karl said it was the rubber things just unscrew em a bit....

5. Dave_S

Dave_S Well-Known Member

Map
    Ours does it too - worrying as hell when you first notice it, then you kind of ignore it. at 80 mph its very "active".... not killed me yet, though ;-)

I've got some bonnet pins in the garage I keep forgetting to fit....

hopeless wanderer likes this.
  6. Gary820

Gary820 Well-Known Member I am in great_britain

Garage:
    Map
    I've never noticed it but will have to take it for a blast and see what it does.
    They're a big old bonnet so not surprised move a bit.

7. StarCruiser

StarCruiser Well-Known Member Guru I am in uk

Garage:
    Map
    With the secondary catch you'd have to be really unlucky for it to fly up. As said, just adjust the rubber mushroom shaped thingies either side to take up the slack. I can't imagine anything on an 80 being anything less than solid.

8. clivehorridge

clivehorridge Well-Known Member Supporter Guru I am in romania

Garage:
    Map
    I've raised my rubber stops too, to stop the flutter.

I suppose it depends on how out of alignment the bonnet is after raising them.

Something will be wrong with the alignment of the final catch, if it only becomes solid when some 7 or 8 mm above the line of the wings.

9. Shayne

Shayne Well-Known Member Supporter Guru

Map
    Yeah its a bit unnerving but the the rubber bonnet stops are threaded allowing you to adjust how solid the bonnet is when shut .

I did contemplate building up the catch again with weld but never bothered .

10. Chas

Chas Well-Known Member I am in england

Garage:
    Map
    Mine 'flutters' too but I've got used to it now, obviously I checked the bonnet catch when I first noticed it. I didn't know the rubber buffers could be adjusted, I shall check them later.

11. nick_the_fish

nick_the_fish Member I am in great_britain

Map
    Yeah i get this too, it got much worse after i hit a camel and deformed the bonet slightly........ But after a while it became normal to see and after checking 200 times i.m assured its not going anywhere. Might have a look at these rubber thingys later

12. clivehorridge

Garage:
    Map
    ....and the camel? :think:

13. Chas

Chas Well-Known Member I am in england

Garage:
    Map
    Well I bet it had the hump. :laughing-rolling:

14. chapel gate

chapel gate Well-Known Member Supporter I am in england

Map
    i was thinking the same clive, if you have to raise the bonnet noticeable above the line of the wings the latch or latch keep must be worn.

15. clivehorridge

Garage:
    Map
    Is the latch adjustable?

I'm guessing it's bolt/ screwed on, maybe it has ovalised mountings like the door pillar slam-catches do... :think:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  16. chapel gate

Map
    Never noticed tbh. Will have a look tomorrow out if curiosity.

17. hopeless wanderer

Map
    I have images of a Japanese chap fastidiously checking panel gaps and the like so I think the bonnet being proud of the wings would be a big no no.

clivehorridge and chapel gate like this.
  18. Beau

Beau Well-Known Member I am in guyana

Map
    I get this too but if I raise the rubber stops the bonnet ends up a couple mm above the wing which I don't like, so I think the best option is to lower the catch itself by a few mm. My cause is due to a front incident a few years back.

19. hopeless wanderer

Map
    Popped the bonnet lock mechanism off just now. The holes are indeed oval and before dropping the catch I could lift the bonnet a good few mil when locked. I've pushed it down as low as it goes (Mr T left enough adjustment) and that play is now gone. I am still going to fit bonnet pins/locks to secure against anyone going for one of the alarm sirens in and effort to pinch the car. I'll road test it tomorrow.

clivehorridge and chapel gate like this.
  20. chapel gate

Map
    So they are adjustable. Worth noting.

clivehorridge likes this.
Don't like the adverts? Become a supporter