Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Book Club

goodoldboy

I thought a thread abut books would be interesting , not that I'm bored but i do have more time on my hands & have been catching up on the pile alongside my bed.Biography , history , politics & technical books are my personal choice but as is the way with these things it will find it's own way.My hope is that it will mostly remain on topic , a bit like on this day in history thread , a concise commentary sticking mainly to the point.
The idea is a short review so that we can discuss the book if others have read it & as a recommendation for further reading.
so to kick things off i'v just finished Clapton by of course Eric Clapton.
I wouldn't say i'm a big fan of Clapton , in fact i don't own any of his records but 60s & 70s rock and the Blues is something i'm into & the stories about his collaborations & friendship with others were rewarding enough.I had never realised how far gone he had been with the drugs , booze & general bad behaviour having had an image of him as a serious , studious bluseman.
from humble beginnings to buying Ferraris for cash it was quite a journey and although the "Clapton is god " graffiti appeared early in his career his later collaboration with blues and rock greats reveals a quite humility in contrast to others he played with - Ginger Baker for example.Worth a read if you like rock , the blues & stories of excess from the 60s/70s
7/10

sounds like a good read - times rating out of 5?

sorry to say not a book worm but do enjoy audio books a lot

Also have a very very large film library to get to see when i get time

A heads up really because it always miffed me that 1145 pages of a book called Sarum made 806 pages of Pillars of the earth seem like a short story even if they both tell the same tale . Historical fiction is my preference , fictional players in and around factual places and events .

I've read all sorts and i never really made note of the author , with the exception of Wilbur Smith , but Harold Robbins and Graham Masterton come to mind . I remember being disappointed to learn Masterton was known for horror stories having read , Railroad , Rich , Solitaire and a few others of his historical fiction and becoming quite a fan .

One flew over the cuckoo's nest remains my all time fav book even if it is a short story . I had never seen the movie and was hugely disappointed that the actors did not even remotely fit with those i had imagined while reading the book .

Last edited:
sorry to say not a book worm but do enjoy audio books a lot

Also have a very very large film library to get to see when i get time
Audio books have kept me awake on many long road trips , a great way of enjoying good literature.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Historical fiction is my preference , fictional players in and around factual places and events .
I thought Pillars of the earth was a great read , a really well structured story , gripping with interesting characters ,good plot.Have you ever read any James Ellroy ? A series of books about real events with fictional characters.?

Probably , i couldn't even tell you the author of the book i'm reading now unless i go upstairs to check . I rarely ever buy a new book as i figure old ones read just as good ad i won't live long enough to read them all . Whenever i lived near a charity shop they liked that i'd return what i read and buy more .

I edited my last post

and to edit this one i'm currently reading smoke and ashes by Abir Mukherjee .

Last edited:
I rarely ever buy a new book as i figure old ones read just as good ad i won't live long enough to read them all . Whenever i lived near a charity shop they liked that i'd return what i read and buy more .
My philosophy as well.Thats the one shop i really miss from the UK.On holiday is Andalucia last year we went to a second hand bookshop in Nerja & spent about 50 euros , came away with a big bag of books. Amongst the ex pats here we also pass around books , something i've been doing for years.

I'm only 70 pages into it but Gandhi is being a bitch British authority in Calcutta is severely undermined and a misfit cop is trying to work out why a murder appears to have been covered up by both sides of the regime . Easy reading it flows very well .

Back