Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Boost setting?

See that's so much easier and to be honest I would have nether for that one
so what are you boosting at?? I'm at 12 ATM plenty for me really my mate is at 1bar

Brand new turbo hasn't done 150 miles yet so i haven't messed with boost but the turbosmart controller i have must have 14psi as it lowest setting because that's where i'm at as far as i can tell . 14 is supposed to be max before the ecu cuts fuel on the 1kz-te but of course i will have to find out for myself if that's true or not at some point . If its not true a bigger airbox might become necessary :icon-biggrin:

I'll take a pic tomorrow of how mine sits for you then not sure how much room you have to spare tho lol

Ben have you looked at opening the airbox up as much as poss increasing air flow? High flow filter Evan?
Also a while back about a mate hu had a kzj right off the engine went in the same as ours moving engine mounts back. Just thought I'd let you know
cheers

No mate.

Its running the standard hose from the engine to airbox and the standard KZJ70 airbox with the re-usable/cleanable 80 series filter in it. :icon-biggrin:

Cant imagine I'd have to give the engine more air. :?

What wrote your mates 1KZ engine off?

What are you boosting at Ben ?

If Craig's fix tells us anything its that the turbo light comes on when the engine is struggling to breathe .

Its boosting at 12.

Once I've fitted an intercooler I will wind the boost up to 14. Don't want to do it yet as I'm worried about EGT's. :icon-twisted:

As I mentioned above I cant see how/why it would be struggling to breathe? :think:

Hi Ben i have been mulling this over since you posted and Umar's boost gauge thread has just sort of nudged me to suggest a leak in post turbo might illuminate the warning light . My thinking is that Craig wasn't getting enough air so lit up because the turbo couldn't keep up . A leak would cause the same problem as far as electrickery is concerned . Just a suggestion because that light would drive me mad .

Thanks Shayne, that seems a logical reason for it to be doing it! I will have a look! [emoji106]

I can always just disconnect the hoses from the sensor and then I would have no lights, that's how it was for the last couple of years until Craig told me where the sensor is, hiding in the wing. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi all well my dad just brought a kzj70 and I'm puzzled again as my engine is the same but yet after driving his which is totally stock not been touched atall, well it pulls like a train compared to mine and I can't figure out why?? Mine lacks loads mid range compared to his and I hope someone can shed a bit of light maybe?? Cheers lads

My guess is yours is running lean . This is what i meant about my electric pump balancing fuel and air better than i could .

But I don't understand tho as today I wound my fuel screw in and it was smoking like a chimney and still not as quick so I measured my dads on his engine then measured mine and set the same but no joy atall all difference I can see is the turbo pressure switch and the pcs actuator...

That's the evil of it . Turn the fuel up and you get clouds of black smoke at idle but a better fuel air ratio when on the move . I have sensors to tell the pump how much air is going in so the ecu can alter fueling accordingly . There must be a way to do the same on yours but i wouldn't know how . If it were me i would get the engine up to temperature turn it off , turn the fuel up and start her up to judge by smoke how far i can go . It all depends on how much of a black cloud you can accept .

It doesn't bother me black smoke shayne just the egts as not got gauge yet

As i said earlier max things out and things will go pear shaped , your fuel screw is now matched to your fathers stock truck so its more than safe its not enough . You have a better exhaust and more air going in than him so you need more fuel to keep the balance . But to much fuel won't do you any favours so turn it up a tiny smidgen and see how much smoke you get on start up when the engine is already warm . The measure i used before moving sensors was if i could see it but nobody nearby noticed it that was enough . You don't need to worry about EGT's at idle and your fuel leans out when on the move .

So how do I know if there is too much fuel?? The smoke means that is in burnt fuel yea?

No if its coming out black its only burnt some of it so you want a puff of black on start up which clears if you knock the revs up a little .

Ok then I'll have another mess about tomorrow then shayne
also if I up the fuel that stupid light comes back on Aswell ....

Can't sleep so done a little reading about the 2LT , i hope that's what the original engine was ?

Most of what i read relates to Surf's with that engine but it seem's the light is a common fault and smack the dash is the most common fix . A wiring fault in the dash so they say .

I also read that the red light will come on if your boosting beyond 0.8bar (11.5psi or thereabouts)

If your problem is heat , and this seems most likely if turning up the fuel lights it up , perhaps you should be looking at the turbo's cooling lines . I don't know but i imagine you have the same turbo as me so both engine coolant and oil pass through the turbo to keep the heat down .

The light would annoy me but i'm not sure how far i would go trying to fix the problem while knowing full well that the light is warning me that a completely different engine shouldn't be doing what my new engine is doing :think: maybe you should just leave things alone until you get an egt gauge .

When i turn up the fuel i do like a tenth of a full turn and leave it that way until tomorrow , it takes 2 minutes so it doesn't matter if it takes a month to get it right because one day you will be nipping down the shop not even thinking about it and you will suddenly think wow shes running like a dream , and that's it mission accomplished .

Don't touch again or it will take you another month to get it right ..... don't ask me how i know that :shifty::oops:

Haha ok then yea light comes on when boost is at 11 ok then I'll have a go today then maybe can sort it out !! Lol I've inly got allll day

Back