Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Brake issues

Howmanygoes

Country Flag
england
Noticed a recent strange development with my brakes and looking for advice on where to start (I am planning on new front, rear pads, new shoes and fluid change next week but I don’t think this will help)

so, you know when you start the car up the brake peddle stiffens and moves out, well my brake peddle feel like this sometimes when I am driving. I can’t see any leaks and get no funny noises??

any ideas?

Noticed a recent strange development with my brakes and looking for advice on where to start (I am planning on new front, rear pads, new shoes and fluid change next week but I don’t think this will help)

so, you know when you start the car up the brake peddle stiffens and moves out, well my brake peddle feel like this sometimes when I am driving. I can’t see any leaks and get no funny noises??

any ideas?
Might be your brake booster pump motor, when you put your ignition on, you don’t need to start the engine, the booster pump should run for about 20 seconds (I think )

There are some good threads on the brake booster pump on LCC, search and you’ll find them.

Hope this helps, good luck.

any ideas?
There you go, search for...

cathastrophic brake failure

https://www.landcruiserclub.net/community/threads/cathastrophic-brake-failure.152246/#post-1512293

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yeah I used your link but nope no search... and I am struggling to upload a screenshot. Stupid photo restrictions
Just tried it on my iPad, works fine. Oh well you'll have to wait until you can use a desk top, but everything you need to know about the brake booster is there in that post.

Last edited by a moderator:
On my phone i used to have to turn it sideways and the search button would appear on the wider screen, it doesn't do it anymore though so now have to change it to desktop mode to get the search function

Last edited:
On my phone i used to have to turn it sideways and the sarch button would appear on the wider screen, it doesn't do it anymore though so now have to change it to desktop mode to get the search function
That might be an option, I'll try that on my iPhone. :thumbup:

Weird, if I turn the iPad, zoom in and out it appears... any how

lifted the bonnet and turned the key, I can hear the pump and the peddle stiffens. No iffy sounds, vibrations or leaks, fluid level is full and fluid is clean.

what may cause it to depressurise?

as I said, it’s an intermittent issue just feels odd having the peddle push back at you when you press it.

Have you ever read the instructions on top of the lid of you brake master cylinder, if so, depress the pedal that many times then turn ign on and time how long the noise takes before it stops.

Weird, if I turn the iPad, zoom in and out it appears... any how

lifted the bonnet and turned the key, I can hear the pump and the peddle stiffens. No iffy sounds, vibrations or leaks, fluid level is full and fluid is clean.

what may cause it to depressurise?

as I said, it’s an intermittent issue just feels odd having the peddle push back at you when you press it.
Have you managed to look at the link I sent you earlier? you need to read it and all will be revealed with regard to the brake boster pump motor.

The pedals not pushing back it's just hard to push because it's not got the help it needs when you apply the brakes.

It depressuries naturally after the car has stood for a while.

Have you managed to look at the link I sent you earlier? you need to read it and all will be revealed with regard to the brake boster pump motor.
Yes I read it, all of it. But a lot of that appears not to be applicable. The cylinder rebuild maybe applicable but I would expect it to be more frequent/stabilised.

Yes I read it, all of it. But a lot of that appears not to be applicable. The cylinder rebuild maybe applicable but I would expect it to be more frequent/stabilised.
I'm not talking about a cylinder rebuild, it's the motor I'm talking about, the symptoms you've got could be due to lack of pressure in the brake booster, and what supplies pressure to the brake booster is the motor, because you have an intermittent brake problem this could be due to the brake booster pump motor starting to fail.

Did you read the thread from post 1 through to post 35?

I'm not saying that this is the problem, but this is high on the list of possible causes.

Whats the milage on your cruiser?

Yes read all the way through. Discounted the motor and bushes but will re read. 142k miles

Yes read all the way through. Discounted the motor and bushes but will re read. 142k miles
Don't discount the motor and brushes, this motor is very, very important, without it you won't be able to stop your cruiser very well, the brakes won't fail fully but you will have to push on the pedal very, very bloody hard, and it will scare the shit out of you.

I hope it's not this problem for your sake, but be warned, you will not get any warning lights telling you it's about to fail, it will just fail, then the dash will light up like Christmas tree, and what's sod's law say, just when you need them the most. You are in the realms of this problem with regard to mileage.

Hopefully you will get some other posts that are not full of doom and gloom, but are full of simple fix suggestions.

Did you depressurise the brake booster by pressing the pedal 30 times with ign off, then ign on and then time the pump until it stops?

Did you know the rear shoes have nothing to do with the foot brake, they are only there for the hand brake, but thats another story.

Hope I'm not teaching you to 'suck egg's' with regard to the handbrake.:)

Good Luck

On my phone i used to have to turn it sideways and the search button would appear on the wider screen, it doesn't do it anymore though so now have to change it to desktop mode to get the search function
It worked, clever Dick:thumbup::laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling::thumbup:

Back