Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Brake light not working when put foot on pedal

Bezzza

Country Flag
australia
New to this but here we go. Go to get the rego check done the other day brake lights would come on when you turned the lights on.... but when I put my for on pedal second phase brake light would not light up
any answers would help

Hi Bezzza,
As you're 'new to this' it can be a bit daunting at first but you'll soon find were a friendly helpful bunch from all over the world on here. So, to begin with its customary to pop on over to the 'introduce yourself' section and, well, introduce yourself. Use words like 'hi', 'gday' that sort of thing to start your message and tell us a bit about your truck. Post up a photo or two if you can as we love to see photos. A name would be good at the end but not essential. It's just politeness is all really. That's how things work on here. :)
While you're doing that I'll have a little think about your problem. Once I know what truck you have, I may be able to give you a more specific answer.
Best wishes
Richard

Edit
I see now you've posted in the 80 series section. Guess that means you have an 80 :doh:.

Last edited:
Unsure on the 80 but, most brake light switches rely on the pedal moving away from the switch, i.e. the switch is only off when the pedal is resting against it. The spring gets weak and the button no longer drops out when the pedal is pushed down.

Not saying this is your problem but a good place to look.

regards

Dave

The brake pedal switch is the 'push to break, release to make' type, in other words, it works as Dave has described. The brake light circuit on a 80 series (UK ones anyway) is permanently live and the lights will work with no key in the ign.
The switch is mounted at the top of the brake pedal. Check to see there is power to it and that the switch does actually operate when the pedal releases it.

Check lamps check fuse(s). Check lamps are correctly fitted. Remove the connection from the back of the stop switch and bridge out the pins and see if the brake lights come on. If you have a trailer socket check for shorts in that if your fuse has blown.

The brake lights coming on with your lights should be at a lower level as these are your tail lights. If they come on brightly then chances are the lamps are installed wrongly or are the wrong lamps. The correct ones should have two solder pads on the base and one of the pins is higher than the other on the side. Sometimes single solder pad lamps are installed in error.

Last edited:
Re reading the OP post, and seeing the brake lights come on when the sidelights are used, perhaps the bulbs have been replaced with the wrong ones or fitted incorrectly? The bayonets in the holders can wear and the bulb can be fitted the wrong way a round?

regards

Dave

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back