Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Brake lines ...

grantw

Supporter
Do they normally give much trouble when replacing them?

I have a set of braided lines that have just arrived along with new callipers. I want the 80 back on the road asap so not sure i'm up for the usual battle of rusted fittings and doing the work in the evenings this week. If they don't normally give much of an issue I may still tackle it when the callipers are going back on though.

As always Grant, it's all in the prep. Squirt them for a bit with distilled Angel's tears and hit them with a decent wire brush to get the scuzz off. Getting them apart isn't usually that hard, but slacken them whilst they are still clamped in the support bracket.

The most common issue that I have come across is that the end of the hose that is SUPPOSED to lock into the nut shaped hole in the bracket, rarely does. Always have some new tension spring clips on hand as the old ones will have turned to dust.

Thanks Chris! - Looks like i'll be saving it for a nice weather day then ... unless the tension clips come with the HEL brake lines.

Roughtrax do sell them individually.

I had some fun last night with the front callipers.

So freshly rebuilt by bigg redd and installing new milner brake pads. There was no way they were going to fit over the caliper requiring at least another 4mm of space between the pads. I tried using a gclamp to move the pistons out more but no joy they looked to be in as far as they could go. So for the moment the old pads are back in. Hopefully I'll get it sorted before the new discs go on soon.

I've used Milner front pads in the past and had fun getting them to fit ... but not like this ... so what is at fault here? My inexperience, the calipers, the discs ... or it surely couldn't be the pads?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Having done more caliper rebuilds than I care to recall Grant, with everything brand new (discs, pads, calipers) getting the caliper body back on is virtually an interference fit. There is no spare room at all.
Now if you have also coated the calipers you'll have tightened things up even more.

However, if the discs are used ones and you haven't coated the calipers then really you ought to be a position where they go on no question. 4mm seems a lot doesn't it. I have had many sets of the Milner pads and as I have said openly they' are without doubt the best pads I have bought including OEM and EBC etc. I've never had an issue. I use them on the Hilux too.
In order to go on, the piston must be retracted to the point that you can put a straight edge across the face of it. Out of interest, have you replaced the two anti chatter shims in there as well? Are the backing plates on the new pads any thicker than the old original ones?

In order to go on, the piston must be retracted to the point that you can put a straight edge across the face of it.

The piston in the calliper definitely wasn't that far back, each side was protruding at least 3mm. I reused the anti chatter plates and the old pads that I reused were also milner.

I'm guessing I should invest in the proper tool to push the pistons back further? How much force should it take on a freshly and professionally rebuilt caliper to push them back?

Yes there is a boss that the clip and gaiter go around. The piston needs to be flush with the top of that. Careful not to tear the new gaiter. But if the pistons are all sitting proud, then maybe the pistons are too long. On a new caliper you should be able to push them all the way back with your fingers Grant. I use a G clamp like you but there no part stop then a final push. it might be that being completely new that you might be able to seat them a little more with a clamp simply because of the new seals and so on fighting you a bit and having no fluid in there lubricating it all, but really it's a dead stop at the bottom. You can't crush anything.

Ok ... so back to this.

I had been putting off putting in new pads and callipers until I was going to do the cv joints.

I’m starting to think the pistons big red out in are too long. I’ve tried everything to make sure they are back as far as they can be. I’ve tried a gclamp and even resorted to the vice. They move back in ok still but just don’t seem to be open far enough.

This is the best I can get
8FA128D5-6ECF-4EB3-BE0F-74D7462DF7FA.jpeg

I popped the rubbers off the callipers to get some opinions on if the pistons should be going back in further.

4C104146-0501-4F9C-8457-9EADCAD806E2.jpeg

I think my next option is to buy a new caliper from rough trax to see if I have more luck with that.

Looks like too long a pistons to me. As Chris says they will stop dead so forcing them will not help. Once they've stopped that's it.

Looks like too long a pistons to me. As Chris says they will stop dead so forcing them will not help. Once they've stopped that's it.

Thanks frank - it’s the only theory that makes sense.

Thanks frank - it’s the only theory that makes sense.
Iv just refurbed the fronts on mine.. and have a set of brand new rear callipers.. and on both sets the pistons will go all the way back /flush.. On your picture the piston should go back another 3/4mm ish this would give you the clearance on the Pad to Disc so to speak... You dont need much force at all to get the piston all the way back especially if they are new/ Refurbished...... Different story when they are old/ knackered/ rusty

Not sure if this is any help, but just looked on the Brake parts site and the calipers are different for petrol and diesel, the petrol ones allow for a 30mm disc thickness and the diesel 20mm, pistons seem the same. Could the discs have any bearing on the problem ?

https://brakeparts.co.uk/shop/Toyota/Land Cruiser/90-98/Land Cruiser Hdj80 4.2 Turbo Diesel/Front - Brake Calipers and Wheel Cylinders/BCA2690

https://brakeparts.co.uk/shop/Toyota/Land Cruiser/95-98/Land Cruiser Fzj80 4.5 Petrol 6 CYL/Front - Brake Calipers and Wheel Cylinders/BCA2692

p.s. Piston Specifications

A - Seal Diameter: 45.30mm
B - Gaiter: 39.00mm
C - Crown: 42.00mm
D - Height: 28.60mm
E - Gaiter to Bottom: 22.00mm

Last edited:
Interesting.

The new discs that have gone on are a similar thickness to the ones that have come off. I haven’t measured yet but visually they are the same. Same problem with new and old discs. But that doesn’t mean the previous owner had also 30mm discs fitted by mistake.

I also just noticed that the years in your link go back earlier for the diesel - I think it was 94 when they had larger brakes fitted. Mine is a 96.

Can anyone confirm the thickness of their discs on a post brake upgrade diesel?

For the moment the callipers and new pads are on without the anti squeal shims. It’s a very tight fit though.

Interesting.

The new discs that have gone on are a similar thickness to the ones that have come off. I haven’t measured yet but visually they are the same. Same problem with new and old discs. But that doesn’t mean the previous owner had also 30mm discs fitted by mistake.

I also just noticed that the years in your link go back earlier for the diesel - I think it was 94 when they had larger brakes fitted. Mine is a 96.

Can anyone confirm the thickness of their discs on a post brake upgrade diesel?

For the moment the callipers and new pads are on without the anti squeal shims. It’s a very tight fit though.
Iv just measured my front Discs ( 1990).. They seem to be 25mm... And on closer inspection the pistons in the Caliper do not sit that much further in than yours in the photo... with the seal off it gives the impression that they stick out further than mine appear to...... (my mistake) Could it be your discs are too thick for your calipers (RE. Flints post)....Could be different calipers were fitted at some point .....:think:

Grant if those black circles are part of the caliper then my mistake they are far enough in. i.e. the piston goes in until the edge of the groove is just flush with the metal.

Grant if those black circles are part of the caliper then my mistake they are far enough in. i.e. the piston goes in until the edge of the groove is just flush with the metal.

They are - so theory ruled out then.

My old discs are 30mm and I dare say the new ones are too - I’ll need to take the wheel off to confirm.

So just need to confirm if post 94 are still meant to be 20/25mm discs. If so we have my problem.

Thanks for the help guys!

Back