Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Brake lines ...

A bit of a long shot, but one thought is that the refurbed calipers you received were not the ones that you sent in, but perhaps earlier ones that were "off the shelf" or someone else's sent back by mistake ?
p.s. There are usually codes on the castings, not sure if that might be a way of checking.

Last edited:
A bit of a long shot, but one thought is that the refurbed calipers you received were not the ones that you sent in, but perhaps earlier ones that were "off the shelf" or someone else's sent back by mistake ?
p.s. There are usually codes on the castings, not sure if that might be a way of checking.
I was thinking on those lines .... From the pics it looks like you have the 30/32mm discs But is there a chance you have the earlier calipers for a 25mm disc........

I’ve always had trouble fitting front pads even with the very worn old rotors.

Flint - As above I think I’ve always had this caliper issue so they probably weren’t swapped accidentally.

So looks like I’ll need to spring for a new set of callipers :doh:

I’ve always had trouble fitting front pads even with the very worn old rotors.

Flint - As above I think I’ve always had this caliper issue so they probably weren’t swapped accidentally.

So looks like I’ll need to spring for a new set of callipers :doh:
Good luck with it mate!

Curses ! If it's any help, no problems with the fronts that I got for the 120 from Roughtrax.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks guys!

Order has been placed.

It really has to be the problem ... quite frustrating when I just had all callipers refurbished though.

Will let you know how they go on.

Grant, photo is still not clear to me!! Did you take the photo with the rubber seals in place? If yes then the pistons are in fact too long. If no they are correct length.

Grant, photo is still not clear to me!! Did you take the photo with the rubber seals in place? If yes then the pistons are in fact too long. If no they are correct length.
Sorry Frank - the rubber seals were removed in that photo.

All done!

Anyone want to guess what the problem actually was?

lid on the brake reservoir?
Yes! ... no not really.

Not enough tea?

Maybe too much beer.

The new callipers have so much space even with the shims in you can see day light between them and the disc.

B2B55B6D-CBCC-4A22-B83D-B172A44CD3F1.jpeg

Photo of the big red refurbed callipers with the rubbers on

A0426B6D-877B-44A0-974B-572885D3ABF0.jpeg

Rough trax callipers

E44CDE12-8C53-45FB-9398-10FA338AF589.jpeg

Pistons back nice and flush with the rubbers.

So it seems the pistons really are too long. I didn’t measure the internal gap of the new vs rough trax but placing them on top of each other they looked identical in space and sizing ... 5mm plus would have been noticeable.

After forcing the pads with no shims in I did go for a quick 2 min drive which I found out tonight would have worked as a long term solution and after a few months the shims would have went in too but I wouldn’t have been happy with it not being right.

The short drive did get the new discs quite warm though.

D961B426-CE33-4708-ADDE-32D93CD1CBF2.jpeg

I’m glad it’s all sorted but not sure what to go back to big red with. Their mistake has caused an awful lot of grief and additional cost - what would be fair?

Last edited:
Always a Tricky one, Depends on what your relationship is with them....If you dont think you will use them again then go for him Guns Blazing. After all it was their F/U.... PS I knew those Pistons needed to go back further:lol:.... Also for the price of new Brake stuff these days.. Is it worth it getting them Refurbed? I got New rear Calipers for the 80 for £55...From KVA 4X4 parts. Nowt wrong with em... Same as the ones on the 120..Easy to fit and stop 'Ya' like you'v hit a brick wall... But its always personal preference...

I was tossing up that very question Higgy when I took them off to be refurbed - clearly I chose the wrong path on this occasion.

The main reason I went the refurb option was to try and keep the original Toyota parts as we know there is no substitute for their quality.

I must say the quick coating that Bigg Red do on their callipers is appallingly poor, they do offer proper coating but I think it's a delay of an additional week.

I've fired off an email to them so just going to see what they are going to come back with now. The front calliper refurb cost around £220 and the new ones just under £300 for the new Rough Trax pair ... it's proving to be quite an expensive brake refresh :(

Last edited:
Yes pistons too long or calipers too short lol.

Firms these days seam much more compliant with complaints than years ago. Perhaps a phone call where it's more difficult to fob you off than an email.

All of that aside, my dealings with BR have been mostly positive. Yes, a couple of their seals etc have not been as good or as easy to fit - hey go by OEM then. But when I ordered a pile of stuff recently for the Corolla, they contacted me immediately and pointed out that I'd mixed up some parts. They corrected all of that and sorted out the payment stuff too.

I was tossing up that very question Higgy when I took them off to be refurbed - clearly I chose the wrong path on this occasion.

The main reason I went the refurb option was to try and keep the original Toyota parts as we know there is no substitute for their quality.

I must say the quick coating that Bigg Red do on their callipers is appallingly poor, they do offer proper coating but I think it's a delay of an additional week.

I've fired off an email to them so just going to see what they are going to come back with now. The front calliper refurb cost around £220 and the new ones just under £300 for the new Rough Trax pair ... it's proving to be quite an expensive brake refresh :(
Like i said Grant its personal preferences, If i was doing the Overland Stuff and off roading that you Lads do id go for genuine Toyota or a more expensive option, But i just Bimble about from A to B on the road and have always fitted after market cheaper options.. Iv never had a fail or been Let down Yet (Touch wood) Glad your sorted tho Grant:thumbup: I mostly buy Milners stuff, Some do not rate it but iv never had a problem.. Going back decades They always come up Good.. Im not Knocking Rough Trax or anyone else. Iv never bought from them.

Finally popped a piston for measurements confirming for sure they are too long.

Measurements from flint.

A - Seal Diameter: 45.30mm
B - Gaiter: 39.00mm
C - Crown: 42.00mm
D - Height: 28.60mm
E - Gaiter to Bottom: 22.00mm

8E25A145-B9DC-4A08-80D6-DEAF3A5B994E.jpeg
2F7D3C02-CA62-43BF-96A6-B79769D19FE2.png

Bigg red are being great about it all and did offer to pick them up to sort it out but I’ve opted for a partial refund and having the correct pistons sent out.

So did they fit the wrong size new replacement pistons or mix up your old ones with someone else's?

Back