Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Brakes binding / dash lights flashing?

ManOfTheWest

Country Flag
wales
This afternoon I was moving at low speed (walking pace) in a car park looking for somewhere to put the vehicle when I felt the brakes find a little bit then come off. I wasn't sure whether I had touched them or not at first, but then it happened again then several times.

It was a kind of vibrating, grumbling sensation. I found a place to park and managed to back into it with no incident. When I started it up and drove it away a couple of hours later, it seemed fine and the problem did not recur on the ten-mile drive home.

I noticed briefly (should have taken a photo but did not) that the VSC, or two VSC lights, the ABS light and I think also the handbrake light came on, then went off again when this binding occurred.

It would be nice if this were a one-off, but life is seldom that kind. I shall probably need to get this looked at. Can anybody suggest what it may be?

Thanks,
Dan

This afternoon I was moving at low speed (walking pace) in a car park looking for somewhere to put the vehicle when I felt the brakes find a little bit then come off. I wasn't sure whether I had touched them or not at first, but then it happened again then several times.

It was a kind of vibrating, grumbling sensation. I found a place to park and managed to back into it with no incident. When I started it up and drove it away a couple of hours later, it seemed fine and the problem did not recur on the ten-mile drive home.

I noticed briefly (should have taken a photo but did not) that the VSC, or two VSC lights, the ABS light and I think also the handbrake light came on, then went off again when this binding occurred.

It would be nice if this were a one-off, but life is seldom that kind. I shall probably need to get this looked at. Can anybody suggest what it may be?

Thanks,
Dan
ABS fault maybe? The grumbling could be the ABS comming on??

The sensor is just a weak magnet so to pull it out and clean it will likely put it right .

The warning lights came on again today - handbrake (I think?) "exclamation mark" light; ABS, VSC off and one other VSC light. That aside, the car seems fine.

Going on a longish trip with the family soon, so slightly concerned. Will call the local garage on Monday morning.

The mechanic checked the diagnostics, which indicated an ABS fault. He pulled out the ABS sensor and it was corroded and mucky. He replaced it and says the diagnostics now run clear. There have been no problems or warning lights since it was replaced, although I have done about 600 miles over the past few days, during which the Land Cruiser did not skip a beat, despite being packed to the gills with camping equipment.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back