Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Broadband. How much room is left ?

Don't Talk Talk own Landrover?

jesterbg.gif

Bob.

I think Milners must own both.

Router is 45 feet from master socket on a speaker wire running under the floorboards. The engineer had hysterics when he saw it but said there was no loss c/w master socket and router end.

Point taken and I'll change the cable but where do I get one long enough with the right plugs on ?

Why not make it really short and just leave it somewhere near the socket?

I don't have a wireless computer. Taking the whole system is a possibility but the socket is in the hall which is not suitable for computer.

I don't have a wireless computer. Taking the whole system is a possibility but the socket is in the hall which is not suitable for computer.

Not that I know what I'm talking about, but you can get a wireless sub dongle thingy that just plugs in Frank, then you don't need a cable internet at all... Just wi-fi.

I use one on the desktop at the house....

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I could go the completely wireless route Clive but I would have the same bill from TalkTalk every month. Nobody does land line only these days.

I think Clive means a dongle that makes your computer wifi enabled Frank , you just plug it into a usb and it will connect with your talktalk router wirelessly allowing you to keep the router at the socket .

I think Clive means a dongle that makes your computer wifi enabled Frank , you just plug it into a usb and it will connect with your talktalk router wirelessly allowing you to keep the router at the socket .

I have been using one of these for around six years, and still have it. For me the ability to look up an OBD code on a customers car away from the workshop is brilliant!

I would say though:

Check for coverage in your area.
Check the maximum speed.
Check for a data download limit.

I get 10mb most of the time barring the above issues, and have a 10gb per month data limit, when limit is reached (very rare) the speed drops to about 2mb.

Regards

Dave

Last edited:
Tried directly to the socket with new short cable and still no good but thanks.

Frank, you have a computer without wifi ........

Errm....Houtson, I think we may have found the problem. Just what vintage is this computer dare I ask?

Chris has a very good point there and windows , if that's what you use are buggers for automatically replacing the manufacturers drivers with generic ones that simply aren't suitable .

This also reminds me that i discovered my talktalk router was obsolete , i can't remember all the mind numbing boring geek babble i had to read to work it out but for normal people i think i swapped a white talktalk router for a black talktalk router bought off ebay , and iirc it did help a little .

I will go see if i can dig it up .

This is what i upgraded router with http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TalkTalk-...661093&hash=item212a85ce4b:g:kEoAAOSw-ldZa3Ev

Last edited:
Just an update on our move. Remember we have precisely the same BT wires to the house and what was effectively a dreadful service is now stable, reliable and banging in as it used to do. So all I can say is that it must have been the BT box (2009 issue) that just wasn't right. We're paying half the price now. All good. If BT had said oh dear, let's try a new box, we'd still be with them.

Nothing wrong with my computer. TT admit there is a problem; they can see it dropping out at their end. Engineer thinks it's TT's equipment in their exchange but can't prove it. My wife keeps getting texts saying please reply "fixed" or "not fixed". You can't add any other words as it doesn't get through. I expect they've heard them all anyway. To be fair every time she's sent "not fixed" the next day it's been a bit better.

0.81 Mb/s today. A vast improvement on 0.13 Mb/s a few days ago. I can now watch paint dry.

They have a talktalk community forum perhaps if you go on there and publicly state you feel forced to move to virgin because talktalk can't deliver it might lend some incentive to get you sorted .

A very rude man from TT phoned yesterday. I assume they don't record outgoing calls. He said he would send a new router which would solve my problem.. oh yeah :rage:..But I would have to take out a contract (I'm monthly now). "That's OK isn't it and I'll close the complaint". Well you can imagine my response. I hope Alah wasn't listening to him, actually I think they are Christian in the Phillippines are'nt they ? even though he said he was calling from Leeds. Another insult or sin whatever.

I got my fibre connection Frank and you know what - it works just as good as copper when copper is working .

They might not have switched me over at all but with a monthly increase of a tenner a month they are at least happy to leave my connection working .

Our neighbour is with TT Shayne and has the same problem as me. TT phoned and gave her this router update contract and she was no better off so I was ready primed. BTW this bloke promised "compensation, promotions and discounts". That's a "hook" isn't it ?

I despair of the world more and more. So much inefficiency and frustration. And privatisation has failed. We had a problem with the sewer in our lane. After I and my neighbour worked out what was wrong Severn Trent sent a crew to fix it. They succeeded first time but then arrived another 6 times to fix it through presumably faulty paperwork. I assume as a result our bill went up and shareholders got less.

Back