Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Budget Home Made Rear Draw System

The slider with the lid open accessible within the tailgate for easy access works out low enough to be useful. IMG_6456.JPG View attachment 141676

Both side access panels with invisible handles...storage for longer narrow items and importantly access to the factory vehicle storage areas.

IMG_6457.JPG

Last edited:
Pull out fridge slider with support fixings not to slide on the move. Handle is the fridge for simplicity.

IMG_6450.JPG

Fridge view from the rear and battery enclosure with electronics fixings to be fitted inside.

left more than 2cm space on the sides and more than 10 cm at the rear for airing and cables.

IMG_6461.JPG

Last edited:
Battery & electronics enclosure with plastic cladding at rear separate to everything.

fullsizeoutput_115.jpeg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Guys keeping costs down as much as possible has been the plan since day one and so I'm making notes to the costings and will give an update to this after the completion of the build.

Last edited:
Be interesting to see your set up Chas. Yes Fridge slides are expensive and didn't want to go down that road.
This is a budget build so I'm using a 100 amp battery as I'll do the write up to why and how soon. The basis is a budget build on all fronts. Be interesting to see how it unfolds Chas and I'll let you guys know.
I shall be visiting Julian V soon for a few necessary jobs and get him to do whatever he can to my drawer system, when it's done I'll get a few pictures posted.

Fridge view from the rear and battery enclosure with electronics fixings to be fitted inside.

left more than 2cm space on the sides and more than 10 cm at the rear for airing and cables.

View attachment 141681
Those pictures are exactly how mine will be looking, I hope.

Good to hear Chas......look forward to your one soon. I do have a surprise for you soon.

As much I designed it most if not all the credit in the making is my carpenter and his friend the upholstery guy. Grateful for their time and experience to make this for me. (A promised camping trip is endeavoured with them) :pray:

@Dervis Garip, Nice work, I too went with a custom home built version, but had a carpenter friend construct mine, I am not very good with this kind of thing. To keep costs down and make use of space, I had a box built that houses the fridge, this is on a platform that slides out. The disadvantage is extra weight, but I do gain the ability to have another 'cupboard' on top of the fridge. This allows me to use space above the fridge without obstructing the lid.

Where I am struggling is with covering the wood, I used material designed to cover the outside of commercial speaker cabinets, a sort of thin carpet. Looked great but does not stay glued down on corners or edges, of course the speaker cabinets have corner protection which I cannot use on the drawer edges ect.

Still thinking about it, a friend has suggested the cabinet covering used on boats, takes knocks and is weatherproof, have to look into that, Mine is still a work in progress, so still have a chance to change the choice of covering, yours look very professional Dervis, any trade secrets you want to share, friend, good buddy? ;)

Regards

Dave

Last edited:
@Dervis Garip, Nice work, I too went with a custom home built version, but had a carpenter friend construct mine, I am not very good with is kind of thing. To keep costs down and make use of space, I had a box built that houses the fridge, this is on a platform that slides out. The disadvantage is extra weight, but I do gain the ability to have another 'cupboard' on top of the fridge. This allows me to use space above the fridge without obstructing the lid.

Where I am struggling is with covering the wood, I used material designed to cover the outside of commercial speaker cabinets, a sort of thin carpet. Looked great but does not stay glued down on corners or edges, of course the speaker cabinets have corner protection which I cannot use on the drawer edges ect.

Still thinking about it, a friend has suggested the cabinet covering used on boats, takes knocks and is weatherproof, have to look into that, Mine is still a work in progress, so still have a chance to change the choice of covering, yours look very professional Dervis, any trade secrets you want to share, friend, good buddy? ;)

Regards

Dave

Hi Dave by all means I’m here to help and thank you for the compliment.

Two factors firstly. One is that for difficult areas mostly turning the material over the corners / back, the guy used a compressor staple gun that worked perfectly and because of the material it doesn’t show.

Secondly for flat surfaces used a carpet spray shown that dries almost instantly and hold he material firmly straight.

For your reference a couple of pictures.

Anything else please let me know Dave.

Thanks

9B50EB2F-ACCF-4ED7-8CBC-93441BB78FE8.jpeg 38ECF8D7-19BE-4167-866A-458086C6A504.jpeg FE0C4CFB-FA01-49C6-B30A-296ECACD6A0F.jpeg 55101395-B499-427B-BEB0-48F96A637175.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Dervis. I had used a decent staple gun, not compression type but a commercial grade none the less. The problem is mainly the drawer fronts and the edges around them. Despite purchasing what I thought was a decent spray adhesive, it did not seem to do too well.

I need to sit down and revisit this when I get some spare time, and source a decent spray, I see the one you use is from the the UK, so will checkout availability.

Many thanks

Regards

Dave

Thanks for the reply Dervis. I had used a decent staple gun, not compression type but a commercial grade none the less. The problem is mainly the drawer fronts and the edges around them. Despite purchasing what I thought was a decent spray adhesive, it did not seem to do too well.

I need to sit down and revisit this when I get some spare time, and source a decent spray, I see the one you use is from the the UK, so will checkout availability.

Many thanks

Regards

Dave
Here you go Dave, I wanted a spray adhesive too, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stikatak...hash=item520724330e:m:mLe80ulQ1dqhcRqdeZP5skQ

Thanks for that Chas, £4.88 a tin not bad, unfortunately they want £12.95 per tin to post it to me, :icon-biggrin:, I will try to source something closer to home.

Thanks anyway,

Regards

Dave

Thanks for that Chas, £4.88 a tin not bad, unfortunately they want £12.95 per tin to post it to me, :icon-biggrin:, I will try to source something closer to home.

Thanks anyway,

Regards

Dave
That's a bugger, it's free post here, anyway more pics of my relocation of the fridge;
Hole cut in the side of drawer for access to the control panel (to be cut a little larger I think), drawer pulled out, drawer pushed back, and sleeping area with a nice memory foam mattress (not there at the mo), and a fresh coat of paint on the back of the drawers would be good.

panel.jpg drawer out.jpg drawer in.jpg sleep.jpg

Last edited:
Trim bond is another very good adhesive. It really holds.

Chas that looks like an excellent solution to what you were looking for.

Trim bond is another very good adhesive. It really holds.

Chas that looks like an excellent solution to what you were looking for.
Yes, I am very pleased with it, I have lost some storage area but also some has been freed up where the fridge used to live, it remains to be seen where I will fit in my camping equipment though.

We did have a supplier here of 3M products, but they seem to have disappeared?

Engine stripped of odds and ends for refurbishment, including the exhaust shield that split a couple of years back, Karl sent me a replacement about TWO years ago! Not a five minute job as bolts need to be drilled out of the exhaust.

Roof rack being cut and reworked, lots going on but really really slowly due to work commitments, so will get this lot sorted and keep an eye out for an adhesive as I go.

Regards

Dave

Nice cut out there Chas, I see what you mean now. Your fridge looks a bit bigger than mine there. How's losing a draw affected your storage requirements for you?

Last edited:
Back