Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Builders in the Midlands, builders advice

Soil is not a problem as the house is built on top of a small quarry, The earth only needs to be loaded and driven 50 yards before it can be tipped down a large hole, price around 2k to pay a local ground works to do it, depends if its all sand stone boulders or soil or a nice mixture of both. Will save the boulders for dressing the retaining walls. Top soil I shall stash in a pile in a field somewhere and the rest probably will be clay which can go over the edge. I will probably buy a digger for use during the project, something around a 3 tonne. Using it to dig the 2000 tonnes though would wear that and myself out.

In that case i'd pay the 2k to let them do it . Map out the area to be cleared on paper and right a bankers draft for the agreed sum . That way he can see his money but can't get it until the job is complete to your satisfaction . A bankers draft will not be payed until both parties agree it should be . He won't wanna pay staff to hang about when he's not getting paid himself until its finished . So thats stage one of the build completed in maybe 2 weeks .

Hi, a very nice workshop in the making. Looks like you got your work cut out. Like most of the other posts, do what you can yourself to save the budget. But there comes a point where hired hands far outway the saving money vs time and your own efforts. You could always go on a supply materials only scenario and your choosen builder should be able to advise you that you need X amount of blocks; bricks; X tons of sand etc. If you need a platerer/renderer later on in the project, I plaster and have a gang as and when needed. Hope all goes well.

Having just been out today to cost up some steel rebar, and found a massive price difference between 2 suppliers, I'd say shop around for everything. One supplier was the local builders merchant, the other a nationwide builders merchant.

12mm x 6m rebar: £34inc vat or £7.65ex VAT

Which price was which?

Cheaper price was the local builders merchant rather than Jewson's...

Have a good look around, and get prices 2 or 3 times for everything. There may be some surprises in line for you...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If space isn't a problem you can save a fortune ordering in bulk . 40 pallets of block in the yard is every suppliers nightmare . Better still if you can tell a company that makes blocks , say you want so many and they can deliver 24/7 to your site or the nearby quarry , because it doesn't hinder or clutter up their own yard .

Hi Jonnie,
My mate Andy in Cheadle had an excellent builder for his big extension. Andy is away at the moment but as soon as he returns, this weekend, I think, I'll get him to call you.
Regards,

Back