Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Buying from Europe

Howmanygoes

Country Flag
england
Since I bought Thomas (jan19) I’ve been slowly researching and sourcing some of the bigger purchases I am planning on making, namely front and rear bumpers, winches, sliders and now under protection.

Whilst looking I have approached UK firms for quotes on various items and found a considerable difference in price for the same item (including tax, shipping and bank fees) that I can buy in Europe.

One item; uk price 995 +vat so 1200 give or take.
Same item from Poland including delivery &fees £978 that’s over 20% saving....

If I buy on my credit card I get the added protection and just pay it all off no interest.

So my question is why wouldn’t or shouldn’t i? I don’t think the uk firm will price match even with evidence and I only have to wait an extra week for it to arrive...

Why not. If you’ve factored in VAT and ED there’s no reason not to. Just do it before Oct 31st.

I’ve bought quite a bit of stuff from mp4x4 and had it shipped to London, Slovenia and Romania without any problems what so ever.

The problem UK companies have is their massive overheads compared to those firms.
In the end it comes down to a personal decision as to whether you want to support U.K. companies or not.

Why not. If you’ve factored in VAT and ED there’s no reason not to. Just do it before Oct 31st.
There lies my only dilemma, not sure the item will be dispatched by then? Assuming Oct actually happens. No import duty from Europe and VAT is included.

I saved a huge amount buying my Engel from Europe. I have also discovered that there is no duty on items from South Africa and the prices are very very much cheaper, so even factoring in shipping and VAT the savings are worth it. I just bought a FrontRunner rack, £1500 here and £600 there...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Does it matter when it all comes from China anyway , how many middle men you have to pay dictates price .

Most of the bar work from eastern Europe is just cheaper end of, as the labour is cheaper. The stuff I've ordered has been amazing quality and people are always going to buy on price no matter what people say.

Most of the bar work from eastern Europe is just cheaper end of, as the labour is cheaper. The stuff I've ordered has been amazing quality and people are always going to buy on price no matter what people say.
Some buy on quality, that’s why some drive landcruisers :blush:

Last edited:
Cheers all. The part I was looking at buying is Australian, the polish shop will import it and I buy it. It’s nuts how the price for exactly the same thing is so much different. I’d love to stay loyal and buy from British suppliers but realistically is the government that drive the price up, but let’s not open that can of worms.

@Gr8Yota humm wish I knew that 6months age when I bought my front runner rack. Might have to look at some other stuff from SA.

Have you looked at Wildbear 4x4? Local manufacturing (especially in your case) and cheaper than Polska.

Have you looked at Wildbear 4x4? Local manufacturing (especially in your case) and cheaper than Polska.
Came across them a while back and after brief website browse dismissed them as a supplier as they are Land Rover dedicated. I went back to their site and it still looks Land Rover...

Cheers all. The part I was looking at buying is Australian, the polish shop will import it and I buy it. It’s nuts how the price for exactly the same thing is so much different. I’d love to stay loyal and buy from British suppliers but realistically is the government that drive the price up, but let’s not open that can of worms.

@Gr8Yota humm wish I knew that 6months age when I bought my front runner rack. Might have to look at some other stuff from SA.
I'd like a swag. Buying from OZ they are less than half the price of the UK with a better selection. I want to buy British but they don't stock what I want. The rest is, regrettably, exactly as you've said.

They do stuff for all makes. Think they may do it under a different name but it’s all done in-house.

Back