Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Buzzweld and other rust protection

ManOfTheWest

Country Flag
wales
My 120 has quite a bit of rust underneath, nothing structural but it still needs attention before it gets, well, structural. Buzzweld has been mentioned a few times on the forum by people interested in trying it, but I have not seen a report from anybody who has actually had it done.

I was thinking of asking Trevor's shop to do a full job but due to recent unfortunate developments that seems unlikely to work.

My local independent, who fixed my turbocharger problem, does offer Waxoyl, but I am not keen on the idea of a wet finish. I am thinking of asking them to do a Buzzweld application, but there are so many products within the Buzzweld range that I do not know where to start!

Obviously at some point I will give the UK Buzzweld distributor call, but I will thought I would ask to see if anybody has independent experience with these products before making any sudden moves.

Anybody got any comments?

Thanks
Dan

Last edited:
My 120 has quite a bit of rust underneath, nothing structural but it still needs attention before it gets, well, structural. Buzzweld has been mentioned a few times on the forum by people interested in trying it, but I have not seen a report from anybody who has actually had it done.

I was thinking of asking Trevor's shop to do a full job but due to recent unfortunate developments that seems unlikely to work.

My local independent, who fixed my turbocharger problem, does offer Waxoyl, but I am not keen on the idea of a wet finish. I am thinking of asking them to do a Buzzweld application, but there are so many products within the Buzzweld range that I do not know where to start!

Obviously at some point I will give the UK Buzzweld distributor call, but I will thought I would ask to see if anybody has independent experience with these products before making any sudden moves.

Anybody got any comments?

Thanks
Dan

I bought two products from the Buzzweld stall at the 4x4 show at Donnington with a specific job in mind, the inner wheel arches of the black Collie. They were solid with traces of rust showing so I thought I'd take it back to metal with the wire brush on the grinder which is quite ferocious and soon gets to bare metal. When I told them my plan they said I needed the metal primer before I used the wheelarch treatment.
This I purchased and carried out the other day. Apart from the aerosol nozzels being useless and having to replace them before I could spray anything I found the metal primer/ corrosion inhibitor to be so much like the "Hammerite No1 rust beater" its not true, probably the same stuff. When that had dried I applied the "wheelarch protector". This seemed ok, a bit like thick paint really but in my opinion not durable enough to withstand the constant grit blasting so I gave it then a good coat of " Hammerite underbody seal" sprayed on which I have found to be very durable used on 80 wheelarches.
Still, I think there is no substitute for sand/shot blasting units and giving several coats of good paint.
I rebuilt my 83 Chevy Blazer in 93-96, everything was blasted individually and painted then reassembled. Underneath is still mint today which goes to show, a good keyed surface and thick paint is the key to longevity.

Just my ramblings.

You could have a look at Krown UK. Had my truck done by them while I watched. 20 mins to half an hour jet wash underneath followed by 2 1/2 hrs of spraying/injecting their Krown fluid into pretty much every nook or cranny he could find.

Early days but the guys are solid and the work first rate. Price is I think £320 or so but I got 20% off from the AO show. Based in Dudley.

Had my truck done by them while I watched. 20 mins to half an hour jet wash underneath followed by 2 1/2 hrs of spraying/injecting their Krown fluid into pretty much every nook or cranny he could find.
Thanks - the price is certainly right... Do you think they'd clean the rust off if I asked them, and was prepared to pay for their time?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I rebuilt my 83 Chevy Blazer in 93-96, everything was blasted individually and painted then reassembled. Underneath is still mint today which goes to show, a good keyed surface and thick paint is the key to longevity.
Your "ramblings" are useful, thank you. You make a persuasive case for the best approach being strip and paint. Unfortunately I suspect it's just not practical for the vast majority of people. Much easier with a motorbike, of course.

You could have a look at Krown UK. Had my truck done by them while I watched. 20 mins to half an hour jet wash underneath followed by 2 1/2 hrs of spraying/injecting their Krown fluid into pretty much every nook or cranny he could find.

Early days but the guys are solid and the work first rate. Price is I think £320 or so but I got 20% off from the AO show. Based in Dudley.
How long does it last Rich, does it need refreshing at periods?

Your "ramblings" are useful, thank you. You make a persuasive case for the best approach being strip and paint. Unfortunately I suspect it's just not practical for the vast majority of people. Much easier with a motorbike, of course.

That's why i have accepted it will be a long drawn out fight for me . I'm with Andy that prep beats products hand's down but without an indoor work area things are going rusty as i work . I have settled on a program of accepting a less than perfect brush down and paint fully expecting to see failed areas on later inspection .

This should tell me where needs a more intense approach most so even if i do a square foot every other month at least i know i am gaining ground on the ultimate goal .

Thanks - the price is certainly right... Do you think they'd clean the rust off if I asked them, and was prepared to pay for their time?
I doubt they would TBH, but I guess it's worth asking the question.

You could give Rustbuster a try as it needs rust to convert and then paint with their diamond hard product or your choice of paint used their stuff on me rear axle and bars 18 months ago and as yet no problems so also using it on me trailer which i had sandblasted and then left to develope surface rust and then treated with their rust converter and then painted hope this can be of help

Prep is definitely the key. On a typical vehicle I used to do, the whole job would take about a week and 3 days was typical for the prep work.

This would be vehicles that had dinitrol/waxoil that needed removing or medium to heavy rusting underneath. An import in good nick would take 2 to 3 days.

Buzzweld now do a large array of products but I would use their FCP primer for a fairly rusty example topped off with the Chassis in One as a top coat, for less rusted examples then 2 coats of CIO did the job. The cavity wax products (they now do a cavity paint) is pretty straightforward to apply with a compressor but they have aerosol versions for the DIY'er.

Although I'm no longer doing it, I still rate Buzzweld as an extremely competent product.

Although I'm no longer doing it, I still rate Buzzweld as an extremely competent product.
Shame, I think we've got a queue forming.

That's good to know, thank you Trevor.
EDIT: I see it comes in 2500ml cans. Would it take more than one can for a 120?

Ta
Dan

Typical vehicle will run close on 5L of CIO with a two coat apply. It goes on really nicely with a normal paintbrush, expect to throw the brush away afterwards, pound shop brushes are the way to go. I still used brushes to get into the awkward places where I couldn't spray.

Shame, I think we've got a queue forming.

Yeah I know, if I can get into a small barn with one ramp I'd still consider it, however I couldn't compete on some of the prices quoted on this thread. Mine varied between £1100 and £2000 + depending on how much work was required, but I'm very anal on the prep work.

Yeah I know, if I can get into a small barn with one ramp I'd still consider it, however I couldn't compete on some of the prices quoted on this thread. Mine varied between £1100 and £2000 + depending on how much work was required, but I'm very anal on the prep work.
Trevor, I appreciate the confirmation about the volume.

I suspect that in some cases the pricing is keen because they are not as careful as you and spend less time. In some other cases they may simply be more efficient because that is all that they do: rustproofing, all day every day. The more you do (provided that you keep thinking about how to improve) the better you get. It is not a job I would like to do full-time myself...

I must be a tad odd, I found this type of work very satisfying, the prep can be very boring and labour intensive but the key is to not use high speed tools as this closes the pores in the metal which will trap air and continue the rust process.

The best part for me was applying the coatings as it really transforms the vehicle, but you have to be a bit of a contortionist to get into all the nooks and crannies, I did have to media blast some vehicles which then adds a huge amount of time with the subsequent cleanup and the other important step is the wipe down and degrease after the prep and before applying the coatings.

This is why I just don't buy into the cheaper pricing for this work, it just can't be done methodically and properly for the money even if you have the process down.

Before I got into this, I would suggest that Rustbuster are THE benchmark Company to go to.

Last edited:
How long does it last Rich, does it need refreshing at periods?
They offer a 3 year warranty provided its reapplied after 2 years which is a way to get you back again I suppose but it's making sure of it. If you didn't do the miles you could always return when needed or touch up areas that get heavy wear with an aerosol. The bit that I liked most is that it displaces moisture. They actually apply it straight onto the wet underside after jetwashing and you can see it stripping the water off as they go. No trapped moisture to cause problems. Have a look at the online reviews from Canada where it's been around for 30+ years.

Back