Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Cable Lockers or ARB?

Ben Stratford

Supporter
Country Flag
england
i dont have lockers but want some. Must be selectable. Dont like the idea of electric lockers as had lots of issues on my 80’s with those and dont envisage lots of use just occasional.
I could get some cable operated Toyota axles and fit them. If opting for ARB air lockers, do I need an open diff axle to start with?
I have an LSD rear axle.
Thanks

I'd say keep the LSD and if it needs it have it overhauled. It should always work under power. I have a 60 with the LSD axle and pulled trailers across fields and allsorts of situations and never thought " I wish I had lockers" because it never got stuck.
What situation do you envisage you will need both lockers engaged?

The ARB locker replaces the carrier in the diff, so all you use is the ring gear and the pinion of course, so I'm pretty sure that all the LSD gubbins gets junked.

I'd say keep the LSD and if it needs it have it overhauled. It should always work under power. I have a 60 with the LSD axle and pulled trailers across fields and allsorts of situations and never thought " I wish I had lockers" because it never got stuck.
What situation do you envisage you will need both lockers engaged?
I cant imagine yet Andy, but its another insurance policy. Extreme mud or slippery rocks perhaps.
Current set up was fine in snow but it was on the edge a couple of times

The ARB locker replaces the carrier in the diff, so all you use is the ring gear and the pinion of course, so I'm pretty sure that all the LSD gubbins gets junked.
Thanks Chris. Want a compressor anyway so it wouldnt just be for an air locker. Not sure I would need to lock the front axle but again there may be a situation that it would help

Iv
Thanks Chris. Want a compressor anyway so it wouldnt just be for an air locker. Not sure I would need to lock the front axle but again there may be a situation that it would help
Ive got arb on mine, as with yourself a plus was having on board air. Under the most likely scenario for getting stuck though, being cross axled, a lsd would do you and you could get a decent portable compressor. My arb has let me down a couple of times, once when the relay failed and once when the exhaust broke and burnt a hole in the air pipe to the rear auxiliary outlet. (Those two problems now mitigated by carrying a spare relay and having a tap on the air tank so I can isolate the lockers supply from the ancillaries supply). A lot of guys in the hilux forum with LSDs have had issues with them, I think mostly caused by previous owners using the wrong oil but I don’t know if that’s an issue with cruiser ones.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
My LSD seems to work fine, it bounces and bucks on a long tight corner but i assume thats normal. What are the symptoms of one thats failing?
The cable lockers worked well on my 61 in sand and mud but not sure what the LSD will be like in comparison. Guess i will try it out.

Having had ARB air leakers for the past 6 years I can't recommend them! :thumbdown:

If you want air lockers the TJM pro lockers are a much better design and a lot more reliable! :clap:

I'm about to fit an Eaton E locker to my 70 series so that could be another option for you to consider! ;)

Regarding LSD's..............

Down here Toyota LSD's are renowned for being rubbish where as Nissan Patrol ones are renowned for being really really good! :flags-australia:

Personally having had Toyota LSD's I'd pick a locker over an LSD anyday! :icon-twisted:

If you have flush hubs on the rear like all the Uk 60's have then it's a semi floating rear axle. The semi floating axle has a plate on the rear which you have to remove to take the axle shafts out and to do that you have to take a cir clip that holds the shafts into the open diff.

If you have a full floating rear axle then it's able to support a LSD or the cable lockers, because the shafts are held in by the hub.

You can't fit either of the above to a semi floating axle or you loose the back up of the cir clip if the wheel bearing completely fails , you would need to upgrade to the full floating axle which are quite expensive to buy and then you don't know what the condition of the internals are.

So better to fit an ARB locker and fit to the semi floating axle, of course sorry if you've fitted an LSD to your truck aftermarket or non standard!

I fitted the full floating rear with an LSD it's a great upgrade.:thumbup:

Having had ARB air leakers for the past 6 years I can't recommend them! :thumbdown:

If you want air lockers the TJM pro lockers are a much better design and a lot more reliable! :clap:

I'm about to fit an Eaton E locker to my 70 series so that could be another option for you to consider! ;)

Regarding LSD's..............

Down here Toyota LSD's are renowned for being rubbish where as Nissan Patrol ones are renowned for being really really good! :flags-australia:

Personally having had Toyota LSD's I'd pick a locker over an LSD anyday! :icon-twisted:
Not seen the TJM Pro lockers Ben, will do a search and read up on them.
As much as air lines may leak I suppose cables can seize up so both would need to be looked after and regularly engaged.

Last edited:
heard yrs ago if you could find a diff with a locker for the rear you could move the LSD one you have to the front on a 60

Have you looked into Detroit lockers? Trutracs and similar? Locked when in a straight line, release on the corners - quite a few Jeep lads were running these. I had one in my XJ, but I found it was a bit "violent" as I tended to drive in 2WD on the road mostly (XJs are RWD until you engage 4WD).

heard yrs ago if you could find a diff with a locker for the rear you could move the LSD one you have to the front on a 60

That can be done and should be good off road but might present a challenge mid corner when power is applied.

If you have flush hubs on the rear like all the Uk 60's have then it's a semi floating rear axle. The semi floating axle has a plate on the rear which you have to remove to take the axle shafts out and to do that you have to take a cir clip that holds the shafts into the open diff.

If you have a full floating rear axle then it's able to support a LSD or the cable lockers, because the shafts are held in by the hub.

You can't fit either of the above to a semi floating axle or you loose the back up of the cir clip if the wheel bearing completely fails , you would need to upgrade to the full floating axle which are quite expensive to buy and then you don't know what the condition of the internals are.

So better to fit an ARB locker and fit to the semi floating axle, of course sorry if you've fitted an LSD to your truck aftermarket or non standard!

I fitted the full floating rear with an LSD it's a great upgrade.:thumbup:
I have the flush hubs so it must be a semi floating axle with LSD Iwan which I think is the original. I read somewhere that the LSD needs work every 30k miles but doubt it has ever had this done and its now done 180k and 29 yrs old.
So as chris said, wop out the internals and fit an Air locker or I could potentially get a complete rebuilt cable locker axle and swap over from our friends in Holland.
Either way about £2k I should think.

The set up must be fully selectable for me Seajay as it will only be used occasionally but good to know.

Have you looked into Detroit lockers? Trutracs and similar? Locked when in a straight line, release on the corners - quite a few Jeep lads were running these. I had one in my XJ, but I found it was a bit "violent" as I tended to drive in 2WD on the road mostly (XJs are RWD until you engage 4WD).
Me too Dave, 2WD on road most of the time but if i had the insurance of a locker or winch I may get more adventurous. I definately plan to do some more proper offroading this year.
I cant let my sons hilux have to tow me out!!
Anyway, yes i have looked at detroit lockers etc on u tube. There is a wide range available but want to stay Mr T if possible or ARB as there are lots of suppliers for those although some feedback here on these is a worry.
Will look some more and report back once any decisions are ready to be made. Thanks

Don’t lsd on the fron give some rather unpleasant handling characteristics?

Back