Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

cambelt change - new water pump?

goodoldboy

my local mechanic has advised me to change the water pump when i do the cambelt - is this normal? why?

it makes sense if you want to change the complete water pump assembly as it comes in two parts and you have to take the cambelt off to install the rear part. You can change the front section that is the pump itself without disturbing the belt so its up to you really.

It depends on the mileage but as the cam belt only takes 30 minutes to do I wouldn't bother unless there are signs of wear.

I am told that the impellers are made of plastic & can deteriorate with time - a common prob with WV passats of a certain age but its extra cash so im going to leave it for the mo

I am told that the impellers are made of plastic & can deteriorate with time -

Neither the old or new water pumps had plastic impellers when I changed mine.

Naturally I don't have a picture of the Impeller end :icon-rolleyes:.

DSCN6141.jpg

But, I'd agree - if it ain't broke don't fix it :thumbup:.

Bob.

I've not seen plastic impellers ones the ones I've done. It is worth checking for any play in the water pump bearing, grab a hold of the viscous fan assembly and try moving it up/down and side/side. If you feel any bearing movement than personally I'd change the water pump at that point. No movement and you could run with it for ages.

I think your mechanic is saying do at the same time as a lot of vehicles have the water pump driven by the timing belt, Mrs Trev is out in Lil' Blue at the moment but I'm pretty certain the water pump is driven from the crank pulley belt and not the timing belt.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I think your mechanic is saying do at the same time as a lot of vehicles have the water pump driven by the timing belt, Mrs Trev is out in Lil' Blue at the moment but I'm pretty certain the water pump is driven from the crank pulley belt and not the timing belt.

Correct:thumbup:

Back