Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Camping Stoves

closet stove mongers eh? Not me, Chris is in another league as I only have 8 I think :) The gas converted trangia used to be my favourite cooker before the coleman.

Kinda like this as a 'proper' stove ...

9924d02e.jpg

http://www.imagine-trailvan.co.za/Comfo ... tchen.html

Of course, it IS attached to my dream off-road camper :)

63a0009c.jpg

"Incidentally, I have found another stove. It's a survival stove - but it counts."

mmm - only if I can count the army solid-fuel tab (hexamine) fold-up stove(s) I have somewhere in garage, used to have loads of them after a childhood living by the Fort George army base nr Inverness, the Army just dumped them after a camp,
as kids we used to go and pillage the left overs for these stoves, ration packs, smoke grenades, 7.62mm rounds & clips to make Rambo machine-gun belts...

It counts. I have brewed many a cup of beef tea on one of those as a kid. Might still have one somewhere - oops, that's another one then.

Chris

I have a couple of hexamine stoves kicking around here too. I put them in the back of the 4x4s in the winter. Good emergency hot drink tool. Also give the drink in question a certain "je ne sais quoi" flavour. :lol:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have a jetfoil for drinks. Lovely bit of kit for water or soup, and you can drink straight from the pot. Very compact, but the cans that fit inside only give about 20 boils. The larger ones like shown above last ages (still on my first one and done several camping trips plus drinks and heating water for washing during power cuts).

Have an ancient camping Gaz (stand on the pierced canister) stove that I have used since a teenager. Have a spare canister for it, but do I read right above that these are disappearing ?

Used to have a "stoves" camping cooker. Cast iron job with 2 rings and a grill. Weighed a ton but was excellent and very strong and ran from pipe so any gas you could get a regulator for. Kinda regret giving it away with the old tent to the scouts group!

I also have one of those cartridge cooker in a plastic case jobbies that has all the power of an asthmatic sneeze, but great for frying on as easy to control the low heat.

Had loads of others in the past, but try not to camp anymore if at all possible hence only really need to cook bacon and/or sausages for breakfast now :)

I've been hearing for many years the the pierce-able cartridges are on their way out. They are pretty cheap so I grabbed a bunch. Some of the earlier Camping Gaz screw ons are harder to find too. Well, less well stocked at any rate. The threaded type are everywhere.

We're not including gas / fuel lamps as well are we? That will significantly raise the tally if we do. :dance:

Chris

"We're not including gas / fuel lamps as well are we? That will significantly raise the tally if we do. :dance:"

we are lagging well behind already - next it will be blowtorches!

My Dad gave me a couple of old pierceable units - a stove and a lantern
they must be 40yrs old at least, the stove has small fold-out legs where the pan fits and still works fine
I spotted plenty of the blue "bluet" canisters in shops in Aberdeen e.g. Tiso, also pretty common in france.

The best camping lantern i have is my coleman petrol dual-lantern lamp - very bright and lasts hours on a fill,
got it originally when i used to go night-fishing for Cod on the jetty at Arbroath.

I have Coleman lantern too. I like it but wish I'd bought the twin mantle one for a bit more brightness. Man I just love really good gadgets. And I pretty much use all of them.

Blowtorches - 3 btw.

Chris

What about tents? Knives? No, best not to get me started on knives or I shall have to have a stock take.

( I won't mention the rifles and shotguns unless it starts to get competitive :roll: )

no - my 6 firearms/SG are measley in comparison to Chris's armoury! in both number and calibre

That was after losing the 8 handguns of course :(

I actually lived next door to the gun club so I used to get in there pretty regulalry. Used to shoot between 300 and 500 rounds a week. I have never smiled so much. Need to see if I can get my old tape vid onto digital somehow and post a clip of how to unload a Beretta in about 2 seconds

Chris

OK, back to stoves!

Chris said:
OK, back to stoves!
Oh OK then :) ;)

Up until my resent Lincomb & Shropshire trips (weekends away) I've been very happy with my Campingaz Bistro, it is fine for brewing up @ lunch time & is OK for cooking on all be it that you have to be very organised as you only have the one ring, but for a tenner one can't complain as it's very quick to set up, lights itself & comes in a nice plastic box with a handle :thumbup: It is serving me very well & as such I will continue to carry it as my primary stove for days out :D

P5120059.jpg

But for weekends away since Lincomb & Shropshire I've had a burning desire to get myself a dual ring stove for cooking on :D I'll still probably carry the Bistro for brewing up on, but dual rings would be great :) I've been very much around the houses myself of late with this, but due to a restricted storage space of 500x360x110mm :|

PB140049-1.jpg

I've had to discount many on the basis that they want fit neatly into my storage box in the back of Fiery :|

Luckily though it would appear that Campingaz do just the item that I require the Lagon (500x300x90mm) :D :D :D

25976.jpg

This is a great find for me as not only will it fit the gap that I have :pray: It will also match my Bistro stove :thumbup: It also uses the 901, 904 & 907 gas cylinders that are widely available throughout Europe :thumbup: It also gives me the option of purchasing the Stellia R 160watt twin mantle lantern that also fits all of the same gas cylinder sizes as the Lagon stove :thumbup:

23098.jpg

So this is what my thoughts are on the subject :) The Lagon will only be my third stove in 41 years though so I dont really have the knowledge of you hard core stove owners to fall back on :lol: :)

PS - If anyone actually owns a Campingaz Lagon stove I'd be very interested in the real life dimensions if possible :) It's the 500mm measurement that I could do with being say 495mm :pray: :lol:

I've been having another look @ the stove thing this evening & just about got my head wrapped around the whole Butane, Propane thing & the Calor gas cylinder size thing compared to the Campingaz 901, 904 & 907 cylinder thing :thumbup: But the gas pipe/hose that I would like to be 2 meters long, seems to be mostly available in 1 meter lengths :? I'm starting to wonder if there's a legal reason for this :think: Anyone know the answer :?:

paulm said:
with regards to the hose, i think anything over 2m wont supply the required pressure
Ah, that makes sense :mrgreen: Would you mind measuring your one for me :pray: :)

I've run very long gas hoses with no problems. Can't remember if my last lot of hose came from Go Outdoors or Towsure but there's lots of it and I can't remember why I bought it!

sae70 said:
paulm said:
with regards to the hose, i think anything over 2m wont supply the required pressure
Ah, that makes sense :mrgreen: Would you mind measuring your one for me :pray: :)

thats a very personal question ;)

i just asked the camping shop for 3m of hose, they were reluctant because of the aforementioned pressure issues, however i managed to convince them....

Re: Camping Sto

Well got a jetboil flash today -well i mean the wife bought it!, bargain 27.5% off since she used to work in the gear shop..
impressive boil time, will be good for making many cuppas in the future

also ordered a twin burner campingaz stove - the duoplus r, thatr takes biggish replaceable 907? cylinders

Back