Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Can gauge fuse stop the truck starting?

SimonD

Country Flag
australia
Interesting issue today. I was stuffing about with the driver's window while leaving the house. I know in operation, according to the manual, it can suck up to 14 amps. Went down town and parked up and couldn't start the truck. Could hear the solenoids clicking in on ignition and the starter seemed to be getting power but nothing happening. Gauges and windows were out but lights still fine.
After a bit of fault-finding the 10A gauge fuse was blown. Swapped it and all fine - car starts. Looking at the diagram I have a couple of questions.
1) Is it possible to connect the Power Main Relay back to front? If that was possible, I can see how the windows would blow the 10A gauge fuse.
2) Any insight/experience on why the gauge fuse could stop the truck starting? I couldn't make this link but I'm also not sure what else the Power Main Relay powers.

Looks like the 10A gauge fuse powers the 12-24v switchover relay so that could account for the non start issue. Relay connectors are usually arranged so that they can only be connected one way but, without actually looking at the main power relay, can’t say for definite.

Towpack, that was a revelation, confirmed by looking at the starting wiring diagram. Thank you! Now I just need to work out why, occasionally the indicator or the power windows blow the gauge fuse. And buy some 10A fuses in the meantime!

Back