Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Can i shorten gearstick throw ?

Trouble is, they only list 4Runners, Hilux / Pickups and the Tacoma - no mention of Cruisers...:(

Didn't get chance to take it apart today Clive but a cunning plan for a DIY alternative is taking form . It's a seesaw lever so if we put a spacer under the housing and made the lower lever longer .........................

Didn't get chance to take it apart today Clive but a cunning plan for a DIY alternative is taking form . It's a seesaw lever so if we put a spacer under the housing and made the lower lever longer .........................

Mmmm, I guess that’s pretty much the principle behind the kit in the link, but I’m asking myself .... what for? It’s not a fast change box (understatement) so there won’t be much advantage gained.... :think:

You can normally make a cup of tea between gearchanges on an 80........I suppose a short-shift would be the equivalent of having one of those fancy boiling hot water taps!! :icon-wink:

<<Runs and hides>>>

Aye its no racing car in truth i had never thought about the throw until i started making a gearstick gator (body lift) and while mocking it up i was shocked to note there's like 10 inches between 1st and reverse - and what for ?

I kind of like the idea of changing gear with just my wrist rather than my whole arm from the shoulder , i can just picture it being one of those simple daily pleasures that we never give any thought to but make us smile every time - like tea tastes better from my mug than it does from any other .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Much more truck than car like definitely. Ed China did a similar mod to what Shayne is suggesting on a Fiesta XR2 (I think) and shortened the lever. Cant see why it wouldn't work to a degree on the box in the 80 but I think a "wrist change" might be a bit ambitious. It's the R151 box on the later versions I believe.

Depends where you put the pivot , if 10 inches only moves 1 inch in the actual gear selector then raising the pivot an inch might shorten the throw at the knob by 3 inches .

It wont be wear Shayne. You can check this by feeling around for the rods gently in neutral. If you just use a spacer nothing will be gained. In addition the end of the lever might not engage to rods properly. Why don't you just cut the lever shorter? Less movement in the stick will lead to a harder but shorter change.

Seesaw Frank , shift the pivot with a spacer and cut extend (weld in whatever length your spacer is in height) the shorter end of the stick .

Yes you could do that but it's spring steel and not weldable without losing strength. There's a lot of bending force below the pivot.

I'm driving a gang to a wedding in France next week so the idea has been shelved for now , i reckon its just a trial and error thing , lift the housing an inch and lengthen the lower part of the lever an inch see how it feels , ideally i'd do it with a spare lever and housing i suppose so i can just bolt my own standard one back on if things go tits up .

If you end up with a perfect spacer thickness, I'm happy to get them laser cut or 3d printed.
Can't help with the stick though. Have you considered cutting the stick and maybe sliding a sleeve over the two cut ends ? I've never seen it so I'm just waffling but if welding isn't and option...

Be interesting to see but i don't feel i need to shorten the shift on mine now having instead modified the stick so its bent in sympathy with my body lift .

Subscribed. Curious to see if I can go from making a cuppa between shifts to something more of a whiff of something.v:grimacing:

Back