Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Can't get insurance for Landcruiser 80 (due to postcode), any tips?

Sorry to bang on about 2gether - but are you sure you tried their modified 4x4 dept? They have different divisions as it were. I've never heard of them refusing any vehicle especially based on flooding. I had three 80's insured with them at once. One of which wasn't even kept at my address. Clearly there is some trigger here. I had no no claims being a company car driver when I first insured with them and I'd had an 80 lost to fire.

Sorry to bang on about 2gether - but are you sure you tried their modified 4x4 dept? They have different divisions as it were. I've never heard of them refusing any vehicle especially based on flooding. I had three 80's insured with them at once. One of which wasn't even kept at my address. Clearly there is some trigger here. I had no no claims being a company car driver when I first insured with them and I'd had an 80 lost to fire.

I just called their standard number, but I'm pretty sure I spoke to the right people. It was obvious from the vehicle and listed mods what sort of insurance I was asking for.

The guy on the phone was very helpful and friendly but even before running the quote he already sounded doubtful and mentioned the post code as a problem. When he called back I couldn't answer so when I rang them in return I spoke to another person, who couldn't give me more info other than there being no quote.

A few other companies I called said no as soon as they heard the post code, stating something like it's black listed.

Maybe I should try 2Gether again but I think the guy I spoke to did everything correctly, as it were.

Yes it is, my direct debit is 21 quid a month i think.

I was talking to someone who had a freelander (Post 2001) no idea what engine and she pays more road tax on that than i do for a 4.2 80 series and 2.5 petrol beemer put together!

I think £21/ month and £125/ month (@£1500/year) are a bit different Nick. It would have to be a pretty special bit of kit to warrant that kind of insurance premium.

I think £21/ month and £125/ month (@£1500/year) are a bit different Nick. It would have to be a pretty special bit of kit to warrant that kind of insurance premium.
Tax young man, tax.

My insurance is fifty something a month, oo does it get cheaper when you hit 40?

I pay £800 a year for my Troopy valued at 50k with the NFU, It is insured in 2 parts base truck at 30k and the roof conversion and all the extras at 20k

Move, or buy another additional car? (Heritage saying they couldn't insure you if this was your only car). Just a thought. I've got a nice Smart car you can 'ave at a good price. :shifty:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Move, or buy another additional car? (Heritage saying they couldn't insure you if this was your only car). Just a thought. I've got a nice Smart car you can 'ave at a good price. :shifty:

How much for the Smart? ;)
Heh

And yes, I'm going to move - eventually. So far I found living in Sheffield centre nice and cheap in comparison to where I lived before (London/Brighton), but that perspective has suddenly shifted quite a bit!

A few years ago Rich, the centre of Sheffield was flooded good style,I'm sure TP can remember. The river Don was a good 12' above normal and flowing at a proper good rate. It really was something to see, however I guess that is why its now classed as a "flood risk"
My then wife was at Parkgate Retail Park (further down the Don) in my original 80 and left their car park as the water was about 6" deep, half hour later it was 5' deep and all the cars caught there were flooded.
Hmm, yes I see now. Not even a 4 foot lift then? Kind of sheds some light on it!

Hang on. I have a 80 series Land Cruiser. on the road in my own name and insured for the first time in my own right always been on one of the hubby's before. Fully comp, no points, I have a named male 2nd driver with no points, said I'd do 10k a year and valve I put is £6000. Total price one payment with Saga. £252 yes I live in Wales now but I did live in Derby. On the road cost a week £9.94 Ins/Tax pull your pants up your been had.

Keira, don't think Saga (I'm with them £198 ) will entertain Daan as I don't think he's over 50, luck bugger :icon-biggrin:

Daan I think buying a 2nd Cheapo banger , and put your girlfriend/partner on the insurance of both vehicles might be option

Keira, don't think Saga (I'm with them £198 ) will entertain Daan as I don't think he's over 50, luck bugger :icon-biggrin:

Daan I think buying a 2nd Cheapo banger , and put your girlfriend/partner on the insurance of both vehicles might be option

Haha, is Saga for over 50s only? I just entered their quotation form with all my details without realising (it popped up at the end with a message telling me to call them back)

As for the 2nd car, I did do some tests on comparison websites using a new car/small engine, but even with that I got quoted £800 and more. Besides I only have one parking space... It's a thought though, but probably not realistic for me right now.

That all said, I do really appreciate all the responses to this thread. As was proven to me already before, but now again, this forum is really great.

Oh and as for putting my girlfriend on the insurance, she doesn't have a license and lives abroad. I can try, maybe I can push the quote up by another grand or so ;)

ok cos I is old now. anybody that still has a pulse should try and get a traders policy. they take any age. I bet.

Looking back at the OP the main issue he has is obviously the flood risk now associated with his post code which, given the carnage that went off in 2007, is understandable even though there are parts of S1 low lying next to the river and other parts which could never flood. This flood risk rating will probably be the same for all insurers so I guess there's no cheap/easy way out. People who live in high flood risk areas can usually get home insurance that excludes flood damage. Why can't car insurance Co.'s offer this?

Looking back at the OP the main issue he has is obviously the flood risk now associated with his post code which, given the carnage that went off in 2007, is understandable even though there are parts of S1 low lying next to the river and other parts which could never flood. This flood risk rating will probably be the same for all insurers so I guess there's no cheap/easy way out. People who live in high flood risk areas can usually get home insurance that excludes flood damage. Why can't car insurance Co.'s offer this?

I think you're right, it's primarily the flood risk - compounded by the other facts, but mostly that. I should have known because now that all this took place today I recalled how I struggled finding home insurance when I moved here a year ago. For the same reason - flood risk, even though that was in fact even more ridiculous in the case of home insurance, because I live in an apartment on the 3rd floor. The car park is on the ground level however. Anyway I had totally forgotten about that, and I did manage to find cheap home insurance in the end.

Either way it does seem like there's no real way out as long as I live in this particular place. I'll call up a few more tomorrow morning but otherwise, so be it. Seems like it can only improve from here on in the future.

Hmm, at the risk of being flamed here, i have to admit to not declaring "mods". What difference does a 3" exhaust make? Or a 2" lift? Or a winch behind the factory bumper? Heated folding mirrors?

none.

Its just an excuse to demand more money from a captive market.
i had a few claims in my younger years and never had a car inspected.
How would they know the rusted oem suspension was a mod?
how would they know you knew that 3" exhaust wasn't a 2 1/4"?

im not condoning nor suggesting just sayin..

Hmm, at the risk of being flamed here, i have to admit to not declaring "mods". What difference does a 3" exhaust make? Or a 2" lift? Or a winch behind the factory bumper? Heated folding mirrors?

none. Its just an excuse to demand more money from a captive market.
i had a few claims in my younger years and never had a car inspected.
How would they know the rusted oem suspension was a mod?
how would they know you knew that 3" exhaust wasn't a 2 1/4"?
im not condoning nor suggesting just sayin..

Tbh I think that is fair enough, it's a route I have been considering as well, because ultimately I think we can all agree that most of the time, insurance is nothing but licensed theft. However, this being my first ever car purchase I can't rely on the confidence that comes with experience, as much as I do trust people's judgments and advice here. So I think I may be best served with being cautious for now and paying for the privilege, but I will sleep on it another night :)

Well then get an OLD person to insure it and have you as a named driver. easy. or just lie and tell them your 51.

Back