Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Car sounds like shrieking demons

"Car sounds like screaming demons"

I thought someone was advertising an exhaust i might like :lol:

Got a split in my crank breather pipe and it screamed well enough to make my blood run cold wondering if i could make the next motorway exit before the turbo/engine/truck detonated in self destruct mode !

Heh. It has been months of this. Every morning I start the car and wake up the whole neighborhood with this so I decided to call it shrieking demons...that's how annoyed I have been :) Now that I know for a fact its the exhaust pipe joint, I'm on ebay trying to find gaskets and bolts and springs to get rid of this godforsaken sound for good hopefully. Also the heat shield's been rattling so a couple of large washers or flattened coke bottle caps with holes in them should do the trick.

Hi Andy,

This morning confirmed that that is the exact problem I have along with the heat shield. Holding the heat shield up stopped the rattle, holding the exhaust pipe up where the joint is stopped the squeal.

Would you mind listing the exact parts required to fix it and if there’s anything i should be weary of?

Sorry it was 8 years ago now. I go to rid of then noise temporarily a few times with graphite grease but it always came back. So asked the Toyota garage to sort it out before s morocco Trip. And they fitted the newness gasket and bolts and springs and noise gone :)

Looked up 120 series on toyodiy and here’s are parts
4EEAD427-C4BE-4DDE-B764-E4FA1333C1CA.png
A0BA4CB5-43AF-43AA-8968-452018E4DE61.png
2AF0C6B6-BB7F-47C1-92E8-DCF692735AC8.png
4EEAD427-C4BE-4DDE-B764-E4FA1333C1CA.png
2AF0C6B6-BB7F-47C1-92E8-DCF692735AC8.png

Thank you Andy. Appreciate it. I'll see if Toyota has them on eBay and order them right away. Looks like a straight forward job.

Got the bolts, springs and gasket today. Removed the old bolts and springs and saw the gasket is basically permanently glued to the pipe. Tried to take it off with a flathead screw driver, wouldn't budge. Seems like it has burned/rusted itself to the pipe. Admitted defeat, put the old bolts back on and its back to squealing again. Will try again tonight or over the weekend.

Meanwhile, any recommendations as to how to get the thing off are greatly appreciated. The gasket looks corroded inside out. Doesn't budge at all. :(

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Went at it again just now, still no luck. It is glued to it.

IMG_3855.jpg

You can see at the bottom where the flathead screw driver went. It's just chipping and now loosening at all. Sprayed a good amount of WD40 on it and leaving it like this overnight, without bolts adding more pressure. Hopefully that works to loosen it a bit.

:handgestures-finge:

I had this problem on my truck. My solution was to take it apart and coat all the surfaces inside and bolts and spring faces with copper grease and reassemble. Squeak gone and lasted for at least a few months. Not a permanent fix and eventually replaced the gasket when the exhaust rotted through.

Heh. What's annoying is I already got the new gasket and bolts and springs. Now I can't play with the toys I bought :(

I am thinking of just scraping it off bit by bit and sanding the area down. Not sure that's smart but I have to get this thing off.

If I am unsuccessful in getting it off, probably going to take it to a garage who might be able to do it by putting the car on a lift. I don't have a lot of leverage lying under the car.

With my head hanging in shame, took her to the local garage. Gave them the parts and asked them to help me out.

They charged me an hour for the job but were done in 15 minutes...oh well, I couldn't do it, they could, happy to pay. Best of all, no more shrieking demons!!

Here's the state of the old gasket:

IMG_3856.jpg

Well at least it's sorted. Sometimes you just have to know when it's best to quit before the big hammer comes out

Back