Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Car wont start - EGR cleaning

hodgy0_2

OKay

so I cleaned my whole inlet / ERG assembly this week (minus the actual manifold)- and boy was it cruddy I suspect 233K worth of muck (I have some pics I can post)

anyway cleaned it all up with petrol etc - put it back on, pretty straightforward

connected all the vacuum pipes and electrical connectors (obvs I have checked and double checked this)

and this morning turned the key (it has always started 100% on the button)

and a v v slight "catch" then nothing - and it just seems to spin (and maybe a bit faster!!!) - its like it has an immobiliser fitted

so what I have done so far, not much just rechecked all the pipes and connectors, primed the fuel pump

used the spare key (see immobiliser point above)

I am going to see if it is throwing any error codes

but any help to try and reduce the problem by elimination would be appreciated - I have never had to deal with a non starting diesel before (well apart from a Audi TDI and that turned out to be the injector pump so was scrapped!!)

Run fuel from a bottle straight to the pump just to rule out a coincidental and unrelated fuel feed problem ?

Did you have the injector pipes off?

The most sensitive electrical thingy in the area is the EDU, the driver for the Spill Valve in the IP. It is very sensitive for bad connection both to earth and to the spill valve.

hi

and firstly, thanks for the replies

Fuel - the primer pump from the filter seems to have pressure, but point taken, I will take a look

I did not touch the injectors, I left the inlet manifold in place (I just took off the inlet track from that goes over the cam cover) - although I did clean it as best a could, using a brush - with an old "henry" to extract the crap (I am thinking maybe this was unwise.....)

and re EDU I will look for the it and check the connections

thanks again

Sounds possible you may have disturbed something electrical. Check the fusible links coming direct off the battery terminals in case one has been broken. These can sometimes fracture if old and subject to a knock.

Seems like something may have become disconnected. If you’re getting pressure on the primer pump it’s unlikely to be fuel or a leak in the fuel pipes.

Sounds possible you may have disturbed something electrical. Check the fusible links coming direct off the battery terminals in case one has been broken. These can sometimes fracture if old and subject to a knock.

Seems like something may have become disconnected. If you’re getting pressure on the primer pump it’s unlikely to be fuel or a leak in the fuel pipes.

thanks Starcruiser

yes, I am about to revisit it now - first port of call is to look at the EDU and the Spill valve connections

a question to you and all is (to avoid checking things that are irrelevant to the problem at hand - aka not starting)

the various sensors on the EGR and Inlet heater - are they 100% required for the car to fire up (clearly it wont run very well, but should the car "catch")

the symptoms are like an "immobiliser" is kicking in - i.e. nothing

which on one level is encouraging, on the other not!!!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
OK

the TL:DR version is "success" and it now starts on the button

So this morning I looked at the EDU (re-seated the connector and made sure it was bolted/earthed securely)

Looked at the connector to the spill valve - all looked OK

still nothing, just spinning, a hand over the intake (where the turbo pipe connects) suggested it was sucking, so signs of compression - good news

wipped that side of the manifold off to check the EGR valve was not sticking open and it seemed pretty closed - i suppose neither good not bad news

Looked through the filler cap to check whether the timing belt was working - yes - good news

I then went to the garage got some easy start - nothing, sprayed into the inlet by the inlet heater whilst cranking and nothing

mmmmm - now quite concerned

so ring the AA and put "home cover" on my policy - £145.00 (have been a member for 35 years and never had home cover!!)

I sit and wait for the AA man to turn up

he arrives, does some checks - although as we go thru things he is as mystified as me, and despite being a Tottenham supporter a really nice guy!!! :)

He starts to think the timing belt has jumped - so loosen the cover, and looks whilst I turn the car over - looks tight (he said it if had jumped you would prob be able to tell)

he does my hand over the intake trick and is not totally convinced there is enough compression - the engine does seem to spin over to freely

although tbh it has always started on the button I would not know oh it spins when not starting - plus it has two newish Bosch batteries

He then askes me how long will it take to remove the EGR manifold (it was at this point where I expected him to go, most would have tbh)

5/10 mins I say - and start to help him, and we get it off

I the have to go inside and run a conference call (IT consultant by trade)

for the next 20 mins I see him walking back and forth from his van - I mute myself from the con call and go out to seem him

he is putting it back together, mmm ok so no real joy I think

I then hear him try and start it - it spins, stops, it spins, it spins - just as I think he is going to give up it catches catches and starts - f**k me what a beautiful sound - and oh my does it sound sweet

anyway when I asked him what he did he said he plastered/soaked the EGR in carb cleaner and sprayed some in the open inlet manifold - that's all

so I suspect what happed was I dislodged some crud when I cleaned the inlet manifold - I think the moral is

either take the manifold off the car to clean it - or leave it alone to avoid any clumps going into the head

anyway thanks for all the replies - really helpful and I hope this helps someone (and never give up 0n these amazing cars)

Crud under the valves possibly?

Word of warning here, never use easy start on a diesel. Ok, some guys get away with it for years but usually it causes compression issues by damaging the engine similar to what can happen with EGR cleaner. I think you were lucky the ether probably evaporated before it could do harm.

Great result. Well done Mr AA. :clap:

Crud under the valves possibly?

Word of warning here, never use easy start on a diesel. Ok, some guys get away with it for years but usually it causes compression issues by damaging the engine similar to what can happen with EGR cleaner. I think you were lucky the ether probably evaporated before it could do harm.

Great result. Well done Mr AA. :clap:

yes I think so - when I cleaned the actual manifold I dislodged some crap - it got sucked in on the very first starting attempt

and agreed, easy start was my absolute last resort

and the AA man was great, took it personally, another one would probably have left after the first couple of checks

and the car drives noticeably better, with no smoke to speak of

Back