Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Carreta 1500 model Teardrop Trailer

Michael Montgomery

Garage
Country Flag
uk
Guys after a couple of summer seasons looking to transition from the rooftop tent/ awning setup currently used. Although the setup worked well for a beginner like myself there are some issues that cannot get away with. These, as you may know, better than me are as follows-

-Troublesome taking the roof gear on and off usually needing a forklift / JCB digger
- Not interchangeable easily
-Storage and handling issues
-Damaging vehicle paint every time along with the rooftop tent
-Choosing a drivers side RHD awning setup kinda inhibits my headroom getting out of the vehicle
-Having to pack up and pack off the vehicle on short notice
-Carry more weight around on the chance you decide to camp.

For these and perhaps more reasons looking to trade out and get a teardrop trailer.

Overall immediate benefits will be-

- Having a ready setup always with just a few minutes to hitch up
- Solar power, Bluetooth, optional TV, A\C, Heating, etc
- designated kitchen
- better sleeping area
- no setup other than side out awning option and un-hitching
- easy to maneuver
- no more fuel used
- Water tanks, shower
- sink, cooker, fridge and plenty of storage
- Price very reasonable and comparable
- better privacy
- and more
- under 750KG regulation limit advantage

The model I'm looking at his made in Turkey and can buy new or used. prices range depending on specs and models around £3000-£8000.

The model I'm interested in is the 1500 model being the width and the "off-road" version. Picture for reference.

https://carettacaravan.eu/caravan/caretta-off-road/

Be interested in your thoughts guys much appreciated.

Offroad-11.jpg

Looks good and it depends on personal wants but comfort wise i would say my trailer wins over cooking on the tailgate and sleeping on the roof because i could actually live in my trailer for a week or a month if i needed to .

That said i ended up with a trailer because my swb doesn't have a lot of room to convert while remaining a 5 seat daily driver and my better half needed comfort .

Now i have a roof tent on the 80 i'm looking forward to hooking up the trailer and heading out for a weekend with 3 generations filling all 7 seats :icon-cool:

Does weight effect mpg much in the 80 ? didn't seem like it when i drove with all seats filled and luggage in the back from Nantes to Le Havre to Calais to Cardiff in one very long 700 mile day . But when i put the roofrack and tent on i did feel the loss off aerodynamics .

Last edited:
Just buy a 4x4 van and have done fella - less hassle all around ;-)

Looks good but depends on where you want to go. It doesn’t look a full ‘off-road’ spec, not much clearance, and I would think limited suspension travel etc. Compare it with a much much more expensive true off-road teardrop such as the Off-grid units... so price versus life I suspect...
06D8E7B8-E7A9-47BF-9197-6E424BC16351.png

Just buy a 4x4 van and have done fella - less hassle all around ;-)
That's not where I wanna be Dave but looked into Van life projects and movement for some time now. Vehicles here in Cyprus are very expensive and to buy one and fitted it out simply not cost viable along with the time and energy. Then you have the resale value to consider amongst other things.

Thanks

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Obviously the answer lies in what are your plans or hopes to do with the trailer, if it is rugged off roading , can it cut the mustard as regards durability and ground clearance ? If you’ve seen the item “ in the blood” and you like it and it fulfils your needs, well, that’s the one, seems like good value to me, you’ve pointed out some of the advantages and others agree, in the final analysis it’s your choice regarding your needs. I would add it looks pretty good to me and I’m a ground tent camper with proper safari beds and chairs, I’m too old for a roof tent and too fat to sleep inside, and if the weather is inclement straight into an hotel. ( well, it’s a holiday) if you buy it I wish you well to enjoy it. Best regards, Bill Westley

Looks good but depends on where you want to go. It doesn’t look a full ‘off-road’ spec, not much clearance, and I would think limited suspension travel etc. Compare it with a much much more expensive true off-road teardrop such as the Off-grid units... so price versus life I suspect...View attachment 163948

Certainly, but Germany amongst another 40 or so countries have adopted to them now. Closer inspection of the Off-road model in this video is more than enough for most needs for Overlanding.

Thanks

That's not where I wanna be Dave but looked into Van life projects and movement for some time now. Vehicles here in Cyprus are very expensive and to buy one and fitted it out simply not cost viable along with the time and energy. Then you have the resale value to consider amongst other things.

Thanks

Fair enough, and I guess Cyprus brings it own challenges! For us (family with 2 kids under 10) building up our little Sprinter 4x4 as an off-grid camper was a no-brainer, and all-in less than the price of many of the adventure trailers. Only issue for us now is that the kids are getting a bit big, so thinking of building a slightly bigger van.

Anyway, sounds like you know what you want, so good luck!

Obviously the answer lies in what are your plans or hopes to do with the trailer, if it is rugged off roading , can it cut the mustard as regards durability and ground clearance ? If you’ve seen the item “ in the blood” and you like it and it fulfils your needs, well, that’s the one, seems like good value to me, you’ve pointed out some of the advantages and others agree, in the final analysis it’s your choice regarding your needs. I would add it looks pretty good to me and I’m a ground tent camper with proper safari beds and chairs, I’m too old for a roof tent and too fat to sleep inside, and if the weather is inclement straight into an hotel. ( well, it’s a holiday) if you buy it I wish you well to enjoy it. Best regards, Bill Westley

Yes, its kinda like growing on me TBH as it the Overlanding camp scene as with time. Just as life my current setup was a good starting point and in evolving and seeing how things process this setup looks more for me now. Like with all things its all there will be a trade-off but probably live with that better than where I am at right now!!
Certainly gonna see it before buying as the likelihood is gonna be to drive with the cruiser to fetch it plus have a holiday in Turkey at the same time.
There's a video I posted showing in Germany the off-road model on the land you can see for yourself.
Thanks for your feedback Bill :thumbup:

Trailer suspension actually moves very little in compression, it's most likely going to be needed in extension is my observation of our trailer on the trails behind us.

In saying that, the key parts are getting spring and damping rates correct.

The trailer certainly looks an interesting proposition - There's some bits that I would double check, like tyre sizes and ease of modification to those wheel arches.

I remember seeing another Turkish brand that makes beefy Conqueror-style trailers. Can’t find what they’re called - ring any bells, Dervis?

I was recently looking at something similar and I'm leaning towards the Conqueror caravans. I like them a bit more then the teardrop alternatives that are on the market for the same money.

I remember seeing another Turkish brand that makes beefy Conqueror-style trailers. Can’t find what they’re called - ring any bells, Dervis?

Yes, Jacob upon my research there is another upcoming brand being the "Crawler" Larger, heavier and more of a military-style as shown if that's what your thinking of?

https://www.sahibinden.com/ilan/vas...-road-expedition-karavan-2.el-771945180/detay

Screenshot 2020-02-16 at 2.33.02 PM.png Screenshot 2020-02-16 at 2.33.23 PM.png

Auto translation Google says ......

Turkey's and Europe's First Off-Road Campers caravan Crawler
100% Domestic Production
First Class, Full Aluminum Body with 10 Years Warranty
Even if all enters the water, it does not rust, rot, mold, and smell.
-----------------------------------------------
PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

Crawler
land caravans create a comfortable area where 4 adults or a family of 2 adults and 3 children can comfortably accommodate, with its expanding interior volume and camping equipment.

While the ceiling height is normally 182cm in the interior, it provides extra volume and spaciousness thanks to its ceiling, which can be increased further.

In the front section, as well as the 2-person bed, which can turn into a dining table and a 4-seater group, the front part also expands again, creating enough space for a 2-person bed.

On the left side, thanks to the kitchen, which can be opened with drawers; An area with stove, kitchen cabinets, faucet, sink and refrigerator that you can also access from inside. There are also 2 storage cabinets and 1 supply cabinet that you can access from inside.

On the right side, there are hot and cold water options in the eye that can optionally be closed and opened, and a bathroom shower set, a shower curtain that can be opened and easily gathered, and 3 storage cabinets that you can access from inside.

Technical Specifications

• Model Name: Crawler IZZ 428
  • Type: 4 Climate Land Caravan
  • Length: 4280mm in total
  • Weight: 740 KG (Empty)
  • Chassis: Dip Galvanized
  • Body: Aluminum, Electrostatic Powder Coating
  • Suspension: Independent Suspension, Double Shock Absorber
  • Wheel Dimensions: 285.75.16
  • Coupling: With Firen and Back Maneuverable
Standard Features

• Aluminum Protection Against Mud and Stones Launched by Hammer Vehicle
  • Opened Kitchen Eye
  • Binary January
  • January Windbreaker
  • Kitchen Cabinet
  • Water tank 125 (LT) chromium
  • Inside Water Level Indicator
  • Water Booster
  • Tap
  • Double Sink
  • Supply Cabinet (Can be accessed from outside and inside)
  • First Bed Section (195x205cm)
  • Second Bed Section (165x175cm)
  • Sofa and Mattress Cushions
  • Top Pop-up
  • Top Pop-up Tent (Sunshade and Fly Screen)
  • Front Pop-up
  • Front Pop-up Tent (With Sunshade and Fly Screen)
  • Dinner table
  • Led Indoor Lighting
  • Remote Control Adjustable Lighting Dimmer
  • 40 Amps Standard Battery
  • Chrome Door Stoppers
  • Chrome Door Locks
  • Chrome High Angle Hinges
  • Chrome Water Filling Cap
  • Inside Control Panel
  • 6 Small 4 Large Storage Boxes Inside
  • Outside 5 Accessible Storage Boxes
  • USB Inputs
  • Cigarette Lighter Entry
  • Compass
  • Electric Cabinet
  • Openable Entry Step
  • Height Adjustable Fixing Legs
  • Led Stop Lamp
  • Independent Suspension System with Double Shock Absorbers
  • Upper Body Against Corrosion 10 Years Warranty
EXTRA FEATURES ON

• 220 AH ENLARGED GEL BATTERY
  • Refrigerator (INDELB 51 LT)
  • Diesel Fuel Heater (EBERS D4)
  • Shower Set / Shower Cabin
  • Solar Panel (SOLARA ENERGY)
  • ZIPPER GOODS EYES
  • STEPNE AND STEPNE CARRIER
  • 360 DEGREES TYPE TENT
  • armory
  • OLTALIK
  • BİSİKLETLİK
  • EXTRA CONTROL PANEL
  • DIGITAL BATTERY AND HEATER SHOW
  • INDOOR EYES LIGHTING
  • DOUBLE GLASS DOUBLE CABINET
  • ALKO STABILIZER
  • REAR DOOR FLAP
  • CARAVAN TOP SPOTLIGHTS

Last edited:
I was recently looking at something similar and I'm leaning towards the Conqueror caravans. I like them a bit more then the teardrop alternatives that are on the market for the same money.

Looks similar to a post reply just made with perhaps a copy version made in Turkey now?

Ah yes, looks very similar, nice find. I'll definitely put that on my list as an alternative to the Conqueror but Conqueror offers a few more options that might attract the wife.

I am planning to go and visit them when we go to South Africa and see what is on offer.

The Crawler makes a lot more sense because even in a carpark you have a home as opposed to tailgate or teardrop where you are essentially camping .

Wonder if the teardrop could be configured so two of you can sit in comfort with your feet on the floor to make a cuppa when you don't need a bed .

As for trailer suspension i think its all bollox and half inflated tyres would be good enough even if your axle was fixed solid . A tow hitch that pivots every which way on the other hand is a must .

Have you seen this on eBay UK? Been on there for a wee while. Don’t know anything about it but may give you some inspiration.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/114087707329

As Shayne said not having a seating area and being able to stand up would put me off a teardrop model but then again we’re in Northern Europe and not Cyprus. I’ve had an Australian camper trailer (too much work setting up for short stops) and an Eriba caravan (bit old and small) in the last couple of years - my next trailer will be one I can live in and use all year round in all conditions.

Back