Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

castor correction bushes problem

TURTLE

Country Flag
australia
Hello guys n gals

i have recently purchased some castor correction bushes as my 80 is 4 inches lifted by the previous owner and he didnt bother to do anything about the caster. so it wanders a bit on the road which isnt a big problem for me but id like to have it drive a bit nicer.

so i got the bushes and read the fitting instructions and to get the new bushes in the right orientation you have to make a referance mark on the arm using a plumb bob string line before doing the lift (at standard height). now im sure you see my dilema. mine is already 4 inches lifted so i can not do this.

now im sure if i might be able to figure it out some how but i thought i might reachout to see if anyone else had had this problem and how they overcame it as i dont really want to make a mistake as these bushes are pressed into the arm and very difficult to remove with out destroying so id like to get it right 1st time.

thanx guys

OK well this isn't going to be what you want to hear, but I'd avoid using CC bushes in the first place. Now sure many people have used them without issue, but think about it. Toyota put the hole in the MIDDLE of the bush for a reason. Using an offset hole is really a bodge in my opinion and depending on how much you flex the truck, cracking has been known. CC plates are a better method, however with a 4 inch lift, I'd use drop boxes no question. CC bushes are only really good for a mild lift. CC plates run out of room at about 3" and whilst better for your truck can lead to problems with prop angles and the steering relay rod hitting the control arms. The absolute best way after trying for some long time; is drop boxes. These drop the back of the control arm at the single bolt hole and make everything good again. Not sure where you'd get them in Oz, but I'd urge you to consider that or drop some of the lift off if you don't need it. Messing with the front end of the axle is against the laws of nature.

yeah i guess that makes alot of sense, i supose i should do it properly since it mostly only does hardcore off road, i dont do much touring in it hence why the bad onroad manners havent really bothered me too much.
thanx for the advice guys

yeah i guess that makes alot of sense, i supose i should do it properly since it mostly only does hardcore off road, i dont do much touring in it hence why the bad onroad manners havent really bothered me too much.
thanx for the advice guys

Your welcome. Whichever way you decide to go please post your experience back here.

For hardcore, it's got to be drop boxes every time.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
What about the Pedders rubber CC bushes? They claim them to be very flexy... most CC bushes are poly, hence the cracking.

Nope. 4" lift, off road; go boxes or regret it later. It's much more than just flexing. The whole prop angle steering arm thing comes into play.

Just ask me how I know.

I agree with Chris's comments, the Toyota rubber ones flex best, and provide best chance of not cracking the diff housing. Drop boxes at cheaper than having to set up a double cardan joint in the front driveshaft. With a 4in lift and 35in tyres here in Oz try and drive like a grandad on road, not to attract the attention of the cops, or you will be taking it all back to standard to pass the pit inspection :)

I looked at a DC joint, which I fancied but they only cure part of the problem and at £600 thereabouts to have one made, I figured the boxes made sense.

I did find some on the Australian eBay a while ago when I was looking, but went with the adustable ones instead

Yes replacement cranked arms (I think Superior make them in Oz) is another good option but about 4 times the price of boxes when I looked.

Yes replacement cranked arms (I think Superior make them in Oz) is another good option but about 4 times the price of boxes when I looked.

Yep, 4 x the price and HEAVY shipping on top of that, to boot.

Slee laser cut their cranked arms from 1 & 7/8” thick plate... juicy... I’d love a pair of them, my SUMO steering bar is just catching since I went to Iron man CC plates, the drop boxes are in the shed because although they work well, I’ve fought them on rocks etc too many times for comfort, the angled arms would solve all that.

Are those dropboxes available to order in Europe or only USA and Aus?
Also, a shop I know over here bend the stock radius arms instead. But hard to get them right I think under a press.

well in the end guys i went with castor plates. i know drop boxes would be best option but the cost was a factor. who knows what ill be doing with my truck in 12 months time any way might do something crazy. so to get me back on the tracks and ready for my trip to cape york castor plates are doing the job.

fairly easy fit and the track rod does come close to the arms but after a bit of flexing in my back yard i cant see it contacting so im happy. ill let you know how it goes on the tracks.

cheers lads
20180515_143719.jpg
20180515_143719.jpg
20180515_143744.jpg

Nope. 4" lift, off road; go boxes or regret it later. It's much more than just flexing. The whole prop angle steering arm thing comes into play.

Just ask me how I know.
Where'd you get the drop brackets? I just asked MAF for the shipping and they quoted 475 USD only for shipping wtf :tearsofjoy::flushed:

Back