Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Centre Diff Lock Light Coming On

Hutton

Garage
Country Flag
scotland
My centre diff lock is coming on and staying on when I start up. I think that the diff lock is engaged as I drove slowly out of my drive and the car felt different. Can anyone offer any advice please?

My centre diff lock is coming on and staying on when I start up. I think that the diff lock is engaged as I drove slowly out of my drive and the car felt different. Can anyone offer any advice please?
I know this sounds daft but can you not just disengage it by pressing the switch and slowly reverse if necessary !

Firstly the obvious- don't drive it with the CDL in on any surface with good traction, tarmac etc. If you must move it out the way for instance make small steering angles and feel what's going on.

If it's in High range then it should not be locked, if you have a CDL or similar button, check it is not engaged.
Have you done anything that may have caused wire damage underneath or even cleaned the inside of the car and moved something?

If you have a separate fuse for CDL or diff locks in general, you could try pulling this fuse to see if it disengages. I think the motors are spring return but can't remember for the 80 and not sure on the 100 so perhaps somebody else could confirm. Anyway, if you try the fuse and it disengages and you can feel it as being so then it gets the vehicle mobile again until you can tackle it in better weather. Just make sure you get it sorted before you need it.

I think I am an eejit. I went out this morning to defrost the Cruiser. I switched on the power heater and (I thought) the rear window heater. When I got back into the car I noticed that the rear heater wasn’t on. I think I pressed the diff lock switch by mistake as I have just been out to the Cruiser and noticed that the switch is on. I switched it off and lo and behold the dash light went off. My penance is to come on here and admit I am an eejit! Thanks to Steve and Starcruiser for coming to my aid!

Hutton, it happens to us all. I cleaned out the inside of my 80 the day before heading off to the AO show at Stratford. After this it wouldn't start, no click-nothing! In a panic I posted on here and had at least two offers of parts and one (Chas) who offered to drive down from London to pick me up. Such is the friendliness of the people on this forum.
I then discovered I had move the gear shift out of park and all the way down to clean, which, of course, inhibited the starter. :doh:

So you're in good company! Glad it's sorted!

You are so right in your words about the folk on this forum. I have seldom come across such a helpful and friendly bunch of enthusiasts.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
This may not be related, but for future reference mine was coming on when it rained??? I had to drop the tail shaft twice to disengage it when the drive bound up. Finally figured it out Driving along a smooth freeway I noticed a hissing noise from the windscreen, the seal was leaking and water was finding its way to the cdl relay behind the glovebox and switching it on every time it rained. DOH!!!

Back