Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

changes to law in OZ

Ben

Guru
Country Flag
australia
looks like the goverment are trying to change the rules in OZ, and are trying to restrict the amount people are allowed to lift there trucks, and also how bigger tyres people can run. :thumbdown:

would make my truck, when i eventually export it, un-roadworthy in its current form. :(

hopefully people will fight this and over turn it, like they did with the bull bar issue a few months ago. :thumbup:

http://www.4wdaction.com.au/articles/cu ... once-again

I believe that some of the states have had those laws in place for some years now, especially the restrictions on increasing tyre size over standard. With most muds effectively being banned in the EU in a year or so, I suspect we are not far behind....

Ben, don't forget those rules only apply to NSW and ACT rego'd vehicles. Aren't you moving to Victoria?

Andrew Prince said:
I believe that some of the states have had those laws in place for some years now, especially the restrictions on increasing tyre size over standard. With most muds effectively being banned in the EU in a year or so, I suspect we are not far behind....

your quite right, i know Queensland is quite restrictive regarding tyre size. :(

Jimbo4x4 said:
Ben, don't forget those rules only apply to NSW and ACT rego'd vehicles. Aren't you moving to Victoria?

Victoria is an option but i really i want to move to Byron Bay which is northern new south wales. :?

I though that if you went out of what the law deemed acceptable, as long as you had it assessed and passed by an engineer as being safe and roadworthy you could then have it licensed?

Have you asked about on the Ozzy forums?

Ryan Thomson said:
I though that if you went out of what the law deemed acceptable, as long as you had it assessed and passed by an engineer as being safe and roadworthy you could then have it licensed?

Have you asked about on the Ozzy forums?

The new rules simplified:

With an engineer's certificate you can have a maximum of +3inch suspension lift and +50mm tyre diameter over manufacturer supplied.

Without a certificate you can have maximum +2inch height increase (suspension and tyres combined).

The thing people are particularly unhappy about is that these laws were going to be brought in by the last NSW government (Labour), but they backed down. The opposition at the time (Liberal/National coalition) opposed the new laws. Now the Liberal/National coalition is in power and guess what...they've changed their minds and want to bring in the same laws that they opposed when they were in opposition. That's politicians for you...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
ben said:
Jimbo4x4 said:

Victoria is an option but i really i want to move to Byron Bay which is northern new south wales. :?

Just register it at your girlfriends parents place and get the rego sent out every year, I know you can do this with WA rego so might be worth checking for Vic?

Not possible with Vic unfortunately as they require a road worthiness check before you can register your vehicle. It's possible with WA as they don't, but they're the only state where this is the case.

misterpaul said:
Not possible with Vic unfortunately as they require a road worthiness check before you can register your vehicle. It's possible with WA as they don't, but they're the only state where this is the case.

i thought that in Vic that once youve had a road worthiness, and payed for the first years rego, that so long as you keep paying the rego every year and dont let it lapse, then you dont need to get it road worthdy again? :think:

Sorry mate, you're right. Just had a look at Vic Roads and that's what they say. WA is easier as no examination is required if it's a WA vehicle but interstate and overseas vehicles do require an examination. Also had a look at what Vic Roads say for mods, and that's not such good reading.

"A vehicle may be lowered or raised provided the clearance between a suspension component and it's associated bump stop is not altered by more than 1/3 of that specified by the manufacturer."

"The overall diameter of any replacement rim and tyre must not be:

-more than 15mm greater than the largest diameter tyre specified by the vehicle manufacturer for that model or vehicle series."

Anything else needs to be inspected and approved before you can register. Hope you get to NSW before any changes happen :thumbup:

Back