Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Cheapest diesel night heater on eBay test / review

Michael Montgomery

Garage
Country Flag
uk
Finally a clone of a Webasto heater. I've wanted one to try for a long time but they were always really expensive. My friend wants to fit one in his camper, so nows the time to see how well these work.

i wouldnt touch them personally dervis.
:text-+1: Don’t ask me why but you just know it’s going to stop working and you’ll have no backup. Could be ok, who knows but I doubt it will be long lived.
At least it’s your mates van and your mates money I suppose. :lol:

Is be interested to know how it performs.
I’m less bothered about it just breaking than gassing us under fault conditions!
But some of this copy stuff is actually very good, often it’s even made in the same factory!!

I didn’t watch the whole vid as it’s rathwr lengthy, what was the cost?

Is be interested to know how it performs.
I’m less bothered about it just breaking than gassing us under fault conditions!
But some of this copy stuff is actually very good, often it’s even made in the same factory!!

I didn’t watch the whole vid as it’s rathwr lengthy, what was the cost?

the gas thing would be my main concern. in a camper with family etc life at risk. not for me.

ive read a fair bit about people who have bought them and them packing up fairly quickly.
Spare parts cant be bought as far as im aware.
you can see you tube vids where the cheap unit has been stripped down to find thin wireing compared to the proper units and lesser materials used to make them.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
the gas thing would be my main concern. in a camper with family etc life at risk. not for me.

ive read a fair bit about people who have bought them and them packing up fairly quickly.
Spare parts cant be bought as far as im aware.
you can see you tube vids where the cheap unit has been stripped down to find thin wireing compared to the proper units and lesser materials used to make them.
Mitigated if you use a gas alarm though. I’ve wanted a heater in the cruiser for a while because we sit at borders for prolonged periods and I do go to some very cold places. Would be very handy as long as the price is right and it works.
The thin wiring would be a concern though if it is being left to heat a truck unsupervised. I like to be warm but don’t want a bonfire!!

These seem to be about £140 mark. Want one for my garage.

Dervis reckon the best bet would be to go to a truck breakers yard and look at some 7.5 tonners as most are 12v and if got power you an check that it works and more than likely get a warrenty happy junk yard hunting

well worth a punt at that price dervis.
keep us updated.
ive known people spend a fortune trying to get old webasto's up and running. there certainly not without there faults.

They are often fitted to ex utility vans. As Mike says, they can be a pig to get going and the ECUs are not cheap but a diagnostic controller is a must.

I’d be a bit wary on some of these cheap copy items, the possibility of poisoning from exhaust fumes or the thing pooping itself and creating a tribute to Guy Fawkes.
I think I’d rather spend a few quid more and buy a second hand refurbished Eberspacher, with a bit of warranty, and at least you can get spares

Cheers

Is there anyone that actually dels in refurbished eberspacher or webasto heaters?

On this subject, I do find it funny/interesting that our Yank friends seem to use propane "Buddy heaters" a lot in their campers and van conversions. In the UK I was always told these were a major no-no, but the Americans seem to run them a lot. Just a thought....

On this subject, I do find it funny/interesting that our Yank friends seem to use propane "Buddy heaters" a lot in their campers and van conversions. In the UK I was always told these were a major no-no, but the Americans seem to run them a lot. Just a thought....
The main advantage of a diesel heater though is commonality of fuel. You don’t have to carry any extra fuel.

TBH guys idk personally how well it’s going to perform over time.
There is quite a few videos on it on YouTube from various channels fitting them.
Pretty much all products are made in China and I think in the early days some were made poorly giving them a bad rap but a lot has changed since then to them being good quality items.
It’s just a option to consider that’s all.

Is there anyone that actually dels in refurbished eberspacher or webasto heaters?

I used to sell second hand ones moggy.
what are you lookong for?

I have a second hand eberspacher in the cruiser and i bought a brand new one at £620 for the work van for the dogs. my peesonal opinion is if you keep the heater for 10 years and its fault free the pice per year is penuts. my heater runs 15-18 hours a day 7 days a week in winter.

I appreciate everything that's been said about cheap copies, brand new branded ones and second hand decent units too, but what important really is that you make sure the exhaust doesn't blow back into your sleeping area. CO is CO whether from a cheapie or a top make.

My travelling companions on the Russia trip all had Webasto heaters and loved them. Personally I wasn't cold and my 12 electric blanket worked enough for me. But, what I am suffering from is a damp vehicle. Even more so when I put it away for the winter. I found mould growing this week. I'm considering trying a cheap one like in the video just to keep mine aired. Not really for camping trips, but more for maintenance. I wouldn't want to leave it running when I wasn't there in case it caught fire. Do they? I dunno, but it would be more than a little embarrassing if it did.

I think in a narrow boat, or van perhaps, one of these would be a tidy install, but in a Cruiser? I don't think it really lends itself to being particularly neat. With sufficient ducting, it might be better in a portable box that you stick outside the vehicle at night and have the air blowing in. You might lose temperature along the ducting but it would still be warm enough I'd think. My JB roof tent got damp too at one point and I struggled to dry that out until I got home. Things really do have to be bone dry before you put them away.

Back