Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Cheapest diesel night heater on eBay test / review

Anyone got a link to the heaters they've purchased? After 10 mins scraping the hilux this morning I miss the one I had in campervan! (That's lined up for the cruiser btw) cheers

Well I took the plunge and bought one. It came today. I bodged it up on the bench and hit the on switch.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5000W-Ai...rentrq:b948ad9d1680ac19256c7843ffd61478|iid:1

I only paid £122 from the same seller. No idea. Anyway, what a fun bit of kit. Worked absolutely perfectly. On full it's ridiculous. Lowest setting is perfect I think. I do need more ducting though. You only get a short piece for installing in a van. I shall build it into a box so that I can use it with my Oz Tent or roof tent if needs be. In terms of drying things out I can see a real application. No problem heating the workshop with it.

Running on low Chris they say that they will carbon up. There are some settings in there where you can set fan and fuel pump speed. Each one is different apparently but worth checking out the facebook group if you run into any troubles. They look fairly easy to take apart and clean up if they do carbon up so no harm in having it running.

If the fuel pump tick is noisy putting a 90 degree bend in it as per here https://www.butlertechnik.com/blog/2013/11/fuel-dosing-pump-operation-noise-reduction/ is meant to quieten it down

It says to rev it up occasionally and even if not being used should be run once per month. I don't have a Facebook and not planning on getting one anytime... well anytime.

It's pretty quiet actually Grant. I'm impressed. Once I run ducting to point of use I doubt I'll hear the thing.

There's a You Tube vid where a chap (painfully) takes one to bits. There's only like 3 moving parts. Real simple stuff.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Have to keep those workmen warm somehow.

Actually, it's really about heating my unit. It's like a tomb up there and not a dry one. I wanted a way of getting things properly dry before storage. I went to change the coolant on the Overland truck and whilst mostly OK, anything actually natural - like leather, was covered in mould. I had a pipe burst in one corner and it soaked quite a bit of kit. I'd like to give it all a good blasting. It's also quite tricky putting a wood burner in a roof tent, I've found.

I like the idea of overheat, that way can keep a fresh draft in from an open window in the tent.

Ahhh, succumbed eh chris,........knew you’d have trouble sleeping without that hum in the background after a month listening to 3 of ‘em!!!!

I did hear or read somewhere that you should run it at full speed for 30min at least once a month, to help stop it clogging up.

Tell you what Andy, it's flippin' hot and you can barely hear it. Not like your noisy old fan heaters. Plus the controller is on a long enough lead to have inside the tent. I want to make it portable like I've seen in a vid. It's primary purpose isn't really for the RTT because I haven't really been cold up there. But for airing stuff or drying soaking bedding, carpets etc, I can see it being handy. Really nice in the Oz Tent or under the awning with the sides on perhaps.

Yea neat, but not cheap. Might be able to fine alternative to the Peli case. Or used.

G.

If you look back at post 34 ........

OK so parts arriving daily. I already have my Peli case to put it in but ordered some other bits and bobs.
The heater is flipping fantastic but does take a while to fire up and then cool down, but it's OK.

The fuel tank came with no holes in and a small tap fitting intended to go through the wall and be secured with a gland on the outside. Fine as long as you have a nano-bot that is small enough to go inside the tank and pass the fitting through. I contacted the seller via e bay and they've said sorry about that, here's £10 back for your trouble!! Ta.

May case isn't big enough to get the 10L tank inside so it can go on the back of the case unless I put a small tank inside somewhere. I'd rather keep the heat away from the fuel tbh.

hi

there are a couple youtube vids with some solutions on fixing the outlet.

watch from 4:45

others I have seen, using a stiff wire through the inlet to outlet.

G,

Ta, nice one - that must be one of the very few I have not seen!
Right from 0.00 - that's exactly where I was. Fiddly thing, small hole.

Last edited:
I bought one last week for my campervan.

I'll be fitting it in the next week or so...I've done a bit of research, and am happy to take the risk at 1/6 the price of an eberspacher or webasto. I've had loads of Chinese copied gear with no real issues.

I've been running this in my camper van since before Xmas with no issues: I'm away once or twice a month, and the heater has performed faultlessly.
The install was easy, I swapped the 10l tank for a 5l go kart tank, and it worked fine from the off.

In the snow this weekend it took a very cold transit hi cube to comfortable in 20 mins, and within an hour the van was hot enough to turn it off.

Best £120 I've spent in a long time.

Go kart tank. That's the one.

Excellent.

Back