Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Chip for LC - worth it?

It looks like the one that goes between the mass air flow MAF sensor wiring. When I looked into this a while back... the better more reliable chip is the one that goes in line of the ecu. But it was 3x the price of the one in the link you gave.

That's all I know really. Hope it helps!

I purchased something similar for my 120 back in 2013 (wow was it really that long ago :icon-rolleyes: ) here is my thread on it:
http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forums/showthread.php/48523-RaceChip-Pro-Power-Box

I have since removed it as the 120 had lots of black smoke under hard acceleration so I removed it as a test and never put is back. 120 still smokes so must be a clogged up EGR valve.

Overall I thought is was a good upgrade.... but if I had the money I would go for the Toyota TTE one :think:

What exactly does this do... the promo bits sound good but there must be a hidden cost somewhere.

I think the problem with the cheaper ones (including my one) is that they simply over fuel by intercepting the signal from the ECU to the injectors and changing it to up the fueling, well that is how I understand it. The tuning companies that do power upgrades for VAG and BMW will amongst other things also up the turbo boost so that is where the significant power gains come from.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yeah thats what my box does on my van. Its the twin channel type that does fuel and boost. but they only seem to offer the single channel units for the Landcruiser, thats why ive been mulling it over:think: i never put any type of tuning on my Colorado and didnt have any problems with it and that keeps popping up in the back of my mind with the new 120, but then the:icon-twisted: pops up and says Do it do it.....

Could defo feel the difference, but as mine is purely a mom's taxi and I don't do any towing or such there is no sense in adding the extra power (and stress) for now real gain... apart for the bigger grin which can't be underestimated :icon-twisted:

I would avoid those time of tune chips. They trick the ECU into thinking it's receiving more air (when it's not) and therefore the ECU sends more fuel to compensate. Yes, you will get more power because the ECU is over fueling but it's not the best way to gain power.

Have you considered a remap Riaan? Not sure if it's possible but give Ian at Big Performance a call. He's a very well respected remapper of Smart cars in the main but does many other vehicles as well including Bentleys, BMWs. If it's possible, he will almost certainly be able to do it with money back guarantee I believe.

http://www.bigperformance.co.uk/

Mention Richard from Bognor if you call him. [emoji4]

Thanks Richard, I think I will give him a call. I don't really need more power (although that would be nice). I was thinking more along the lines of the possible 15% less fuel consumption. Seeing this chip is the price of one tank of fuel. But then again I don't want to risk damaging anything. I suppose it's like everything else, you get what you pay for. This is the site of the manufacturer for those interested. http://www.chip-tuningbox.de/ I thought being German they might know what what they're doing. Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated!

I would brace yourself for the cost being a few tanks of fuel but Ian is a good guy and very helpful. Worth the call at the very least.

Have you considered a remap Riaan? Not sure if it's possible but give Ian at Big Performance a call. He's a very well respected remapper of Smart cars in the main but does many other vehicles as well including Bentleys, BMWs. If it's possible, he will almost certainly be able to do it with money back guarantee I believe.

http://www.bigperformance.co.uk/

Mention Richard from Bognor if you call him. [emoji4]

Hi Rich, I had a look at their site but couldn't find where they, are apart from Surrey it gives no address do you know where in Surrey they are?

Yes Chas he's near Fairoaks airport which I think is Chobham.

Last edited:
Thought it might be. You thinking of remapping something Chas?

Thought it might be. You thinking of remapping something Chas?
Not really, just handy to know where they are if I change my mind. My one foray into a power increase was the fitting of an Alisport intercooler, hoping for more economy :pray: but the extra oomph was too tempting :icon-twisted: but who knows?

Ive just ordered a box from tdituning so i will let you know in due course what i reckon on it.

Back