Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Choosing gas vs diesel - Land Cruiser 70

Portis

Country Flag
kenya
Hello I’m new to the forum and looking for some advise on my first Land Cruiser purchase. I’m a news photographer based in Nairobi, Kenya where I’ve been living for the past 5 years. My current vehicle is a SWB 2001 Land Rover Defender TD5 (diesel) that overall has been a great machine.

My fiancée is moving here in a few months from the States so its time for a second vehicle, and one that has air bags. This also serves as my excuse to finally buy a Land Rover 70 series.

I’ve spent plenty of time as passenger in these over the years working in Africa and the Middle East so I know the truck pretty well. Now that I’m going to be spending a lot of my own hard earned cash on one I want to make sure I make the right choice on the engine.

I’m sure this has been discussed here before but my dilemma is deciding between the 4.0L (1GR-FE) gas engine and the 4.2L (1HZ) diesel.

The roads in and around the city are slow so I don’t really need the extra HP of the gasser. Lots of traffic, old slow moving buses, potholes, speed bumps and human traffic make moving around a relatively slow-moving process. Outside town on the open roads I’m generally cruising at max 100km/hr.

I take my truck off-road regularly upcountry. Terrain can be technical but slow, ranging from dry, rocky and steep to deep mud with standing water in the rainy season.

I’m looking into importing a late model wagon from Japan. Kenyan law states that no vehicle older than 8-years can be imported so will have to be a 2009-2016. I asked the Toyota dealership here what it would cost to buy new and the duty and tax (add almost 70%) brings the diesel to a staggering $93 thousand usd. That’s for a stock bare bones truck.

Another factor weighing my decision here is resale. If I have to move someday then diesel is king in Africa and fetches a premium. I can buy used here in country but it’s hard to know what I’m getting. Most of these have been used by NGOs and been thrashed by a host of different drivers. Parts (and engines) are clandestinely replaced, odometers altered etc.

So that’s my story. Gas or diesel? Thank you for your help!

IMG_2915.jpg

haha please don't kick me off the forum! Yes a typo. I now own a Land Rover Defender and meant to say Toyota Land Cruiser.

Reactions: Ben
+1 on the diesel. If you need a stringer/second photographer, let me know. I used to shoot news frequently and was a mechanic for 10+years, love to travel. Good luck whatever you get, I'm a bit jealous at the 70s market overseas. Still a bit surprised Toyota doesn't import the new 70s here in the UK.

Back