Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Clive's HZJ80

Nice one Rich, the stuff the jet-wash can't reach :lol:
That's the stuff! :icon-rolleyes: I don't know how it eludes the jet wash but there's at least a small bucketload under there. Well, at least there was before I emptied a handful of it into my eyes and mouth yesterday. :angry-screaming:

Last edited:
OK, bit the bullet today and ordered 2 new OEM CV joints, knuckle seals and shaft oil seals for the front axle.

Front axle Rebuild No. 3 booked in for next week...:icon-rolleyes:

Front CV joints 2250 Ron + TVA / piece (Toyota genuine spare parts) =/= 1,300 quid for the pair incl VAT
Front axle seal set 655 Ron + TVA =/= 190 quid incl VAT

Total parts 1,490 quid incl VAT, which is OK if you say it quickly... :icon-confused:

Flippin' eck Clive. Should've gone to Amayama. £160 each CV plus import to U.K. When I got mine a couple of years ago.
Sorry, just what you want to hear when you've just ordered them in!!

Flippin' eck Clive. Should've gone to Amayama. £160 each CV plus import to U.K. When I got mine a couple of years ago.
Sorry, just what you want to hear when you've just ordered them in!!

Problem is Rich, I've got to import Amayama stuff into Romania and they sting you blind as well as make it logistically difficult.

On the last import, I ended up paying some 80% of the purchase price plus shipping and then paid VAT on the whole lot. Admittedly at £160 each that would still be cheaper than these I've ordered.

Are you sure you got OEM parts Rich, that price looks way too low.

I'm sick of changing them TBH. I put new pattern part CVs in when I got the truck and they did quite well but failed after 6 and a bit years, so I fitted the current Nitro-Gear CVs hoping for a similar life and now they have gone after 3 and a bit years.

I don't know what is OEM and what isn't TBH.

Last edited:
Wow - that's a bit of a hit to the wallet Clive. Hopefully Front Axle Rebuild No. 4 will be a very long way off now.

So when are you going to bolt on a turbo? ;) :eusa-whistle:

Just had a nose, mine were £490.96 for two a year ago plus whatever the tax man had from amayamamamama.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Wow - that's a bit of a hit to the wallet Clive. Hopefully Front Axle Rebuild No. 4 will be a very long way off now.

So when are you going to bolt on a turbo? ;) :eusa-whistle:

Dunno if I've done the right thing with the CVs, I suppose only time will tell. I followed the recent thread on HDKs and I wasn't convinced. It'll be interesting to see how these are packaged and whether there's a name on them.

Anyone bought genuine Mr T CVs lately?

As for a turbo, that can wait for the next owner to fit :icon-wink:.

My turbo days passed a while back :lol:

Just had a nose, mine were £490.96 for two a year ago plus whatever the tax man had from amayamamamama.

Is that what you ended up paying Nick, or was there import / VAT on that?

Or are you saying the tax was paid by Amaya's nan an' mama?

Mine will be close to double that... :|

I'm convinced mine were genuine MrT Clive. In Toyota boxes sold as Toyota Originals with hologram. Price has probably gone up by now with the exchange rate. Bummer about the import duty. I thought it was all the same in the jolly old EU?

Putting HKD one in ours now - will let you know how it goes...

Is that what you ended up paying Nick, or was there import / VAT on that?

Or are you saying the tax was paid by Amaya's nan an' mama?

Mine will be close to double that... :|

Mr T cvs £490 was the quote i found hunting through my emails, what i had to pay the tax man i dont remember cos you get charged that from parcelforce or whoever delivers it.

I'm convinced mine were genuine MrT Clive. In Toyota boxes sold as Toyota Originals with hologram. Price has probably gone up by now with the exchange rate. Bummer about the import duty. I thought it was all the same in the jolly old EU?

Thanks for your response, Toyota boxes and holograms sound good anyway, Rich :thumbup:

Was there any manufacturer's name on them that you remember? I'm sure Mr T doesn't make CVs, especially for 20 year old trucks. :lol:

Import duty is very hit and miss here. I've had stuff delivered by courier and they've shown no interest. On other occasions, they've charged me an arm and a leg. They even find a "problem" usually a made-up "technicality" which requires some greasing to overcome.:?

Proper EU membership takes much more than a membership no and agreement, Romania will never truly integrate IMO, they want what they want and either reject or drag their feet on the rest.

Rather like the UK did in some ways, before Brexit.

Mr T cvs £490 was the quote i found hunting through my emails, what i had to pay the tax man i dont remember cos you get charged that from parcelforce or whoever delivers it.

As I said to Rich, import duty is very hit and miss here. Sometimes the Courier handles it and other times the customer has to go to an office to pay before the courier can deliver.:icon-confused:

I received about $800 of stuff from the US a while ago - suspension parts for a Cherokee - the suppliers helpfully marked this F-in great box as a "gift" - so the PO just dropped it off... no duty... ;)

I received about $800 of stuff from the US a while ago - suspension parts for a Cherokee - the suppliers helpfully marked this F-in great box as a "gift" - so the PO just dropped it off... no duty... ;)

I've succeeded using that method too, but it doesn't always work.

I had the same thing a few years ago with 2 Isspro gauges ordered direct from a diesel shop in Canada as the Uk importer didn't have them in stock. They were delivered by UPS with nothing more to pay, or so I thought until around 6 months later I got a bill from UPS for another £38 (probably ID and Vat) which I promptly binned. Then a month later a RED bill from UPS saying pay up or proceedings will follow. So I ended up saving about £5 over buying them from a stockist over here if I could've found one who had them!

I had 2 parcels of new books, they came in at the same time, both marked as gifts.

One parcel (with a single book) had come via the author who I know, and he'd signed his book inside the front cover for me.

The other parcel had 2 books inside by different authors, unsigned.

They allowed the signed one as a gift, but taxed me heavily on the others and they were technical books, costing about £300 a piece. :icon-rolleyes:

Back