Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Clive's HZJ80

Hmm, I’ve recently fitted a controlled descent self lowering toilet seat in the house (pleased spouse), one of those might just go with it rather well !

Hmm, I’ve recently fitted a controlled descent self lowering toilet seat in the house (pleased spouse), one of those might just go with it rather well !

I like controlled descents, usually I use "low" and combination of lockers, maybe you're toilet would benefit from something similar :lol:

Different kind of 'dump' there Flint… :)

OK, toilet humour aside (for the moment) the continuing saga of front seat replacement in the 80 continues....

Saturday was a nice sunny clear day and warm enough for a "T" shirt outside....

IMG_6826.JPG

No excuses, so I set about installing the replacement passenger side seat, which has been sitting gathering dust and all sorts of bits of bird nest materials and so forth in my shed, for the last 12 months or more...

Alas, no pictures of my superb fabrication of bracketry, due to me being too bone idle to take photos. Not to mention that I'd be way too embarrassed to post them, 'cos you're all too familiar with Ben's first-class handicrafts... hey ho.

But the finished article doesn't look too bad IMO, and it hasn't fallen off yet...

From the passenger side...

IMG_6829.JPG

And, from the driver's side

IMG_6830.JPG

And I washed it this morning... 'cos it was mingin'

IMG_6827.JPG

Don't look too close, the guy missed a few bits...

IMG_6828.JPG

And then after lunch it poured down with rain....

Typical :icon-neutral:

What are those seats out of Clive??
They look comfy

OK, toilet humour aside (for the moment) the continuing saga of front seat replacement in the 80 continues....

Saturday was a nice sunny clear day and warm enough for a "T" shirt outside....

View attachment 123289

No excuses, so I set about installing the replacement passenger side seat, which has been sitting gathering dust and all sorts of bits of bird nest materials and so forth in my shed, for the last 12 months or more...

Alas, no pictures of my superb fabrication of bracketry, due to me being too bone idle to take photos. Not to mention that I'd be way too embarrassed to post them, 'cos you're all too familiar with Ben's first-class handicrafts... hey ho.

But the finished article doesn't look too bad IMO, and it hasn't fallen off yet...

From the passenger side...

View attachment 123286

And, from the driver's side

View attachment 123287

And I washed it this morning... 'cos it was mingin'

View attachment 123284

Don't look too close, the guy missed a few bits...

View attachment 123285

And then after lunch it poured down with rain....

Typical :icon-neutral:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
What are those seats out of Clive??
They look comfy

They're out of a Mazda 8, 2010 model.

I can't pretend they're a good fit, as unfortunately the rack on them positions the seat about 5 mm too close to the door side, meaning the seat belt gets trapped between the trims of the seat and the "B" pillar.

It's only plastic against plastic, so I'm going to try a heat gun on the door pillar trim and see if I can ease it back 2 or 3 mm, I think that would be enough.

It's no biggie, I've been driving it about a year with the driver's seat in and I've got used to it.

I've also thought of spacing the tunnel side front mounting a bit forward from the cross member by about 10 mm, which may pull the back of the seat over enough to stop the belt getting trapped, but then the seat will be a bit twisted to the centre line of the truck.

We'll see, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, they're very comfy, and fully electric.

Drivers side has front up/down, rear up/down, front/back slide, seat back rake up/down and there's a manual lumbar adjuster which really helps my back on longer journeys.

They're leather and rather firm which is also good for my back, and the seat has side supports which are just right, not too much like a bucket, but enough to keep you central in the seat. On the lowest setting, they're about 15 mm higher off the floor than the old seats, which I like a lot.

The passenger side has less features, only front up/down settings, but it has the obvious, front/rear slide and seat back rake up/down, plus the manual lumbar.

They have heaters with Lo and Hi settings, but no summer cooling ability.

My old seats were knackered from use, well the driver's side had collapsed, but the passenger side isn't too bad. They were also very basic, cloth with no electrics, but manual front/rear slide and seat back rake, with no up or down adjuster and no lumbar.

The driver's side is temporarily wired up, so now the passenger seat is in, my friendly electrician guy will wire them both up finally and we're good to go.

It's been a fiddle, but I'm very, very pleased with them.

Edit: I knew I'd posted something when I did the driver's side, just found it here... on Andykdj95's thread.

Last edited:
Nice job there Clive. I hope Aura is pleased. If she's anything like Lynn she'll love the heated seat. :) It's the only thing she likes about the Smart.
Speaking of which I hit a bad pothole in it so hard yesterday that it set the passenger side airbag off!! I was stunned!! (Threadjack over)

Nice job there Clive. I hope Aura is pleased. If she's anything like Lynn she'll love the heated seat. :) It's the only thing she likes about the Smart.
Speaking of which I hit a bad pothole in it so hard yesterday that it set the passenger side airbag off!! I was stunned!! (Threadjack over)

No threadjack Rich, its open house (except for asas3) :lol:

I thought the Smart was laid up? So it's sounds like it's drivable, yet with an intermittent fault?

Shame about the pothole, as we know, one of the incentives to drive a Cruiser, they just laugh them off :icon-biggrin:

Aura's OK with the 'new' seat so far, she complained that the seat belt receiver is at a slightly different angle :icon-rolleyes: but likes that it's a bit higher than the original.

I'm just pleased to have a matching pair in the truck, it did look a bit odd with just the one!

That's good Clive.

I've made progress with the Smart. The gearbox fault has now been consigned to history after changing the gearbox/engine loom. That one was absolute as it changed the car after the loom was swapped. So, onto the power steering intermittent fault. I treated the connectors with Deoxit about 2 weeks ago and cleaned the PCB in the steering ECU. So far so good it doesn't try and steer left.
Two steps forward, one step back. Known faults now are thermostat, airbag and AC leak. And a knock from underneath that I've not been able to find.

That's good Clive.

I've made progress with the Smart. The gearbox fault has now been consigned to history after changing the gearbox/engine loom. That one was absolute as it changed the car after the loom was swapped. So, onto the power steering intermittent fault. I treated the connectors with Deoxit about 2 weeks ago and cleaned the PCB in the steering ECU. So far so good it doesn't try and steer left.
Two steps forward, one step back. Known faults now are thermostat, airbag and AC leak. And a knock from underneath that I've not been able to find.

Bloody 'ell, not so smart, is it?

As for the stat and leaking AC, these are everyday faults on any car and the airbag is just, well I don't know, just too bloody sensitive IMO.

TBH, I'm glad I don't have any.

I'll bet the airbag will be expensive, because normally, the car is smashed when they go off. Is it a steering wheel bag or a side protection bag?

It's a side protection one in the seat Clive. £50 on eBay plus a reset no doubt. Just another thing to sort as you say straightforward things only now really.

Hi Rich, I'm posting this for your attention only, because for the life of me, I can't figure out how to attach photos to a PM (conversation).

Here's some pics of the available seat, just to confirm that it's very different from the seats I'm used to seeing photos of, in U.K. Spec 80s.

IMG_6836.JPG
IMG_6837.JPG
IMG_6838.JPG
IMG_6839.JPG
IMG_6840.JPG
IMG_6841.JPG
IMG_6842.JPG

If any measurements may be of use, just let me know, OK?

Thanks Clive, I'll have a look when I get home.

Wo... What is that thing?

There you go, not recognized by Nick, that's for sure!

It's the old driver's seat out of my HZJ 80 Nick, and Rich has a collapsed foam in his seat and wondered if it's of any use to him.

I have my doubts TBH, but there you go.

Maybe you can understand why I was so keen to change them :lol:.

Driving home tonight, I was compelled to fumble with the phone to get a photo, luckily the lights went to red and I got this...

image.jpeg

A crappy photo, but a memorable moment, only the 4th time in 22 years when all 6 barrels will move at the same time... :lol:

Got to wait till tomorrow for that, it's parked up on-the-turn ATM.

Last edited:
Its a good job you don't watch where your going or you might have missed that :lol: not even at the half way mark yet i hope mate :thumbup:

Back