Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Clunk while turning

Wandering Aengus

Recently I have developed a loud clunk while turning.1) It is a loud single clunk from the front of the car, I swear I can even feel it if my foot is on the tray beneath the pedals.2) Everything I can see seems tight, all bushes seem ok etc.3) It happens first while turning one way and then the other, never seems to happen twice while turning one way. It seems to be worse if the axle is articulated or I'm travelling at speed and the car is leaning4) It's not the sway bars as I've removed them5) I've removed the steering stabiliser and it seems a little funny when extended fully but not too bad6) I've checked around the steering box even and don't see any cracks on the chassis!The only thing I can think of is the CV joints but I just redid these recently (non genuine) and I thought that this would lead to a more constant clicking in line with the wheel turning?I'm at a complete loss! Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Check your ball joints on the track rods for up and down play, specifically the first one on the steering box arm to the front drag link rod.

when does the sound occur, every time you steer or mostly while manoeuvring for parking?
Do you have someone to turn the steering wheel while you watch the steering system and suspension in action under load?
Have you tried checking the wheel bearings for play, jack up a wheel and rock it top to bottom?

It doesn't happen every time, usually only while the axle is articulated (going over a bump and turning) or turning more sharply while travelling at speed (the car is leaning)A small bit of play in the left front on the vertical axis, none at all on the right. I guess this is the wheel bearing? This small bit of play could be the cause of a loud clunk?

Mine has started to develop the same symptoms, but it's restricted to low speed maneuvers it seems.

I suspect the top and bottom pivot bearings as it's been 8 years since they've been replaced.

I can't find any problems with any of the bushings either, and I've checked all the ball joints.

I would advise dropping the steering rods to check not only for play but for seized ball joints. Unlikely that this would cause a clunk, but I had one shear off once after seizing up, so I'm a bit paranoid!

At the moment I haven't put much effort into tracing my clunk, is something for the very near future. Good luck with your search :icon-biggrin:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
As a PS, check the tightness of the bush bolts, as the bolt is supposed to trap the steel tube inside the rubber bush tight. Ene though the bushes look good, there can be movement between the bolt and the sleeve which could cause an intermittent clunk.

This would be particularly important on the panhard rod, but the others should be checkers as well.

Do you have diff locks? And are these definitely not engaged? It could be your axles binding up and then the pressure being released - makes sense especially if it happens frequently over bumps.

The search continues, I've not found anything conclusive yet but I tightened up a couple of things including the nut on the end of the shocks.I can confirm that none of my diff locks are engaged.I'll see tomorrow if any of my tightening has solved the issue.Thanks for the suggestions and keep them coming if you have anything else.

I have had a cluck while going over pot holes ot offroad. Had the wheels off checked wb king pins every bloody bush on the cruiser. found a door runner fell off fixed that. cable tied everybit of wire i could find.
fixed it this morning by winding the winch cable in more as it was the hook knocking on the bumper. always sounded like offside front.

one thinkg you could try is some sealent on the bump stops. had it on a few cars.

I have had a cluck while going over pot holes offroad.

Maybe it was a chicken in the back.
animals-15.gif

The search continues, I've not found anything conclusive yet but I tightened up a couple of things including the nut on the end of the shocks.I can confirm that none of my diff locks are engaged.I'll see tomorrow if any of my tightening has solved the issue.Thanks for the suggestions and keep them coming if you have anything else.
Hey I would like to know what you found as I have the same noise?

Sounds like king pin play. Check by jacking up each front corner in turn and gripping the top and bottom of the wheel and see if you have any fore-aft movement in top or bottom. Might be heavy so use a long bar under the wheel.

Check the chassis for rust/cracks around the steering box and panhard rod.

Regards

Dave

None of the above thinking now it maybe sway bar issue!! On top linkage but will keep searching as Monday going to put chassis ear on it!

Had exactly the same loud clunk on mine. I thought for myself that clunking sound had to do with some thing on the suspension. Check the position of your springs and that they are sitting correctly in the bowls.
But after a complete rebuilding of the front axle ( It was not because of the clunking sound that I rebuild ) with lots of new parts such as bushes, wheel bearings, cv, hub, tie rods, brake parts and so on. The sound is now gone! I do not really know what cause it. But I had some play at the inner wheel bearing on one side and it was also missing three conical washers under the knuckle.

Back