Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Common rail diesel injectors

toolsplus

Country Flag
portugal
Can anyone explain why common rail diesel injectors are more noisy and vibey when the engine's cold? Cheers

Hmmm... apart from everything just being clunky because the oil's cold (which I suspect is most of the noise), isn't this the cold start "choke" thing? The chip tells the LC to run in loud and clunky mode until up to temp - then suddenly it switches to quiet mode once up to temp. Different fuel settings to help get things warm quicker maybe? Different air intake settings to try to optimise detonations until air temp is right? Both? :think:

I thought that might go somewhere but it seems I don't know either ... I'm sure someone will come along :lol:

Last edited:
They probably shouldn't be....

Mechanical injection engines mostly have some kind of "cold start " advance system that alters FIP timing until the engine warms up but this is pretty crude so leads to mechanical engines being often a bit noisy till they warm up. They are limited in how they can respond to demands .

Common rail engines can via the ECU pretty much infinitely vary injection timing and duration and rail pressure so typically run the same hot or cold...... unless they have a sensor that's gone duff and is feeding incorrect inputs to the ECU.... within the parameters set the engine ECU will try and meet whatever it "sees" is demanded and the state the engine is in regards temperature , load , and speed .

Back