Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Considering an automatic.

Tuskar

Country Flag
ireland
Hi ,
Hope I'm in the right section. I'm considering a 2008 d4d automatic with 152k miles . I think it's ideal as I do a lot of towing so no clutch worries and I'm lazy and like autos . The only reservation I have is concerning MPG as I normally do 15k anually. I'm easy with my right foot and do long trips of 40 miles daily. Can anyone suggest average MPG
Thanks

i get about 23-25mpg when i'm not towing
i never checked it when i'm towing
very easy to tow with tho'

What does a manual do though? Even a small difference can add up over time or between fills either way.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
with a KZJ 95 1KZ TE the 3 speed auto returns slightly better MPG than the 5 speed manual as discovered by 95 owners here. It's all academic , a 10% difference is about 4 quid a week on average mileage.

In my opinion the 120 is not a good car for a lot of heavy towing , the 120 is a 4 cylinder engine of around 173 bhp in a car that weighs near 3 ton when at normal loading , a lot of heavy towing will put a lot of strain on the engine especially towing in hilly areas that can lead to a cracked piston as well as strain the driveline , for a lot of heavy towing you are much better off going for what Toyota produced for heavy towing amongst their other benefits of space etc a 100/105 series landcruiser with a 6 cylinder 4.2 diesel engine or better still a V8 diesel 200 series .

I've had 32-33 on a motorway run. 5 speed auto

You should get at least 30 mpg on cruise on motorway, keeping to around 60 mph.
However with a 2500kg loaded 4 wheel caravan on the hook, and expect 20 - 22

Graham

Back