Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Coolant

Hutton

Garage
Country Flag
scotland
I need to top up with coolant. Does it have to be Toyota stuff?

I need to top up with coolant. Does it have to be Toyota stuff?
Some members on here swear by Toyota fluids only. I never have but I do only use good quality and definitely not the cheapest... and my trucks done over 275,000 miles.. but I guess its personal choice. IMO.. Also depends what truck it is I guess..

If it has pink waterless coolant in it - it shouldn't need topping up if for some reason it does it must be done with the same stuff.
If it has anything else in then frankly I'm with the crowd who just use standard OAT technology antifreeze. There is nothing special about the engine nor anything special about the red coolant. Other than the price.

Coolant generally comes in two forms. Ready to use and concentrated to be diluted. If you have lost coolant then it needs some more but if it's just water that has evaporated you can add water just as it had in the first place. Use a tester to check the condition of your coolant. It might be time to change all of it. Additive is just as important in hot weather as it is in cold as it aids cooling

Pink is not waterless. The premixed (08889-80150) contains water, and the concentrated (84310-74320) you mix with water.

OK I have a fairly new Hilux and it has pink waterless in it as far as I know. I certainly don't think it's supposed to be topped up with water.

Hi, Hutton...
Always use the same as prescribed, and ready mixed.
You will have constant quality and anti freezing protection.
The pink has additives for anti-corrosion of the complete cooling and heating system and are mostly used for aluminium engine's.
As long as it's bright pink it's ok.
When it's contaminated it turns to brown and needs to be replaced.
- Also check your filler cap - valve on your radiator frequently for dirt, so your overflow keeps working good.
- the easiest way to clean your overflow reservoir is to take it out, put some fine gravels and water in it and shake it well and flush it out .....

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thing is, I am not sure if this means under no circumstances add water or there's no need to add water. Hmm, you decide. It's pre diluted but what with? Water?

Screen Shot 2018-07-07 at 21.42.33.jpg

I would read that as don’t add water as it’ll dilute the mix further lowering frost and possibly corrosion protection if it’s been formulated to be used 55/45.
Looks just like the Halfords OAT stuff.

Thing is, I am not sure if this means under no circumstances add water or there's no need to add water. Hmm, you decide. It's pre diluted but what with? Water?

View attachment 146476

Pre diluted glycol based ready mixed with additives.
If you mix it with water......
- your anti freezing point goes up.
- water oxides your radiator
- boiling point changes
so never mix with water .....

Not like mud. It's pretty clear that for a ready mixed (pre-diluted) coolant, you don't add water, as that would alter the ratio/mix.
On the can in the pic above, it says 45/55%, while in the handbook there's an August 2003 update saying that SLLC is mixed with 50 % water. See attached.

This thread prompted me to check my bottles of SLLC concentrate, part # 08889 80140 (not the number I posted earlier, found on the web). Now, what really makes me puzzled, is that also on the concentrate, it says "Do not add water". wtf. And it also says "Top up only - Concentrated"

Attachments

• SLLC 2003.08.pdf
    39.3 KB · Views: 109
If that was waterless coolant it wouldn’t say pre diluted 55/45 on the bottle.
Diluted means diluted with water. Waterless coolant is a completely different product requiring pre-flushing with preparation fluid to remove all traces of water.

pre diluted .... with distilled water ...
not to be mixed with tap water :smiley:

In my mind DO NOT ADD WATER isn't the same as no need to add water. Semantics perhaps but DO NOT is an absolute instruction. DO NOT TOUCH, DO NOT ENTER etc. I understand the effects of adding water to anything, but regardless of whether this is a marketing ploy or simply poor English, it says DO NOT. Pre diluted - could be with coconut oil, angel's tears. You can dilute something with Scotch if you want. Doesn't necessarily mean water. When I can be bothered I shall go and read the handbook. Where it will probably tell me to add only more coolant not water. Which isn't an answer to the question is it. I think it's just a performance issue not that you simply mustn't under any circumstances add water.

In my mind DO NOT ADD WATER isn't the same as no need to add water. Semantics perhaps but DO NOT is an absolute instruction. DO NOT TOUCH, DO NOT ENTER etc. I understand the effects of adding water to anything, but regardless of whether this is a marketing ploy or simply poor English, it says DO NOT. Pre diluted - could be with coconut oil, angel's tears. You can dilute something with Scotch if you want. Doesn't necessarily mean water. When I can be bothered I shall go and read the handbook. Where it will probably tell me to add only more coolant not water. Which isn't an answer to the question is it. I think it's just a performance issue not that you simply mustn't under any circumstances add water.
On my generator it says NO TOUCH stamped on the exhaust manifold with a symbol of a hand touching the exhaust, i found this misleading for some reason, It did not say DO NOT TOUCH, and the symbol of the hand seem to invite me to touch the hot exhaust, After a while of staring at the exhaust I touched it..... It was really Hot!! so NO WATER, DO NOT WATER, NO ADD WATER, ADD WATER,.. Its all the same, remember. NO TOUCH :cry:

Ahh and in a fire you are told not to run. But the symbol shows a running man. They tried a picture of a person walking but it basically gave the message 'stay where you are' Tricky thing the human brain.

Ahh and in a fire you are told not to run. But the symbol shows a running man. They tried a picture of a person walking but it basically gave the message 'stay where you are' Tricky thing the human brain.
Tricksy indeed.. Remember NO TOUCH!!!

Did you say dilute with Scotch!!! A heresy has now been committed by Chris. Lol

Safest option is to drain completely and refill with correct toyota product. Then in future you'll know what you're dealing with.

... When I can be bothered I shall go and read the handbook....
The only mention of SLLC (pink) dilution I found in the handbook is on the page I attached in my previous post. Tell us if you find anything else.

Back