Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Couple of questions

Paul

Garage
Country Flag
england
As I have been out of the loop for a while, I thought I would ask a couple of questions as I go through my 80.
I have searched quite a bit on here and have found lots of useful info for doing the work but the main things are obtaining the actual parts.
1. I am going to install a separate trans cooler, but are there any recommendations for a good unit to put in?
2. EGR removal blanking plates supplier, thought I had got away with this as its an import but the valves are there.
3. The big one, going to rebuild the front axle hubs and wheel bearings. When I search there are so many suppliers, but is anyone doing a complete kit that would be recommended as I know last time you could buy complete kits but then order bearings from somewhere else as they were better for example.

1) I'd explore the possibility of installing a trans cooler from a petrol 80, if you feel the need for an additional one. The petrols had a separate one as standard; Gary posted a pic of his a while back, a bit of searching may unearth it. There are also threads on here discussing the hot topic of wether to plumb an additional cooler in pre or post the standard cooler. If you fit a secondhand one please make sure it's flushed clean, I know someone who installed one and dirt in it trashed his autobox.
Edit: The pic is on page 2 https://www.landcruiserclub.net/community/threads/atf-overheating-in-the-alps-help.146050/page-2

2) Jon Wildsmith has experience with 24v egr.

3) I use the club discount on Toyota genuine parts with Simon for important parts like these. https://www.landcruiserclub.net/community/threads/simon-holton-gen-toyota-parts.133399/

Scott beat me to it ref the cooler from a petrol :thumbup:
As I'd written on that thread I've never had any temp issues and there's a lot of heat kicking around the trans, has a big steel guard under there too which will have an effect on air flow. Gets a regular arse kicking too.

That's another pic showing the cooler behind the spot lamp. It's not a small unit.
20170817_221306.jpg

Not a clue on the egr.

The Roughtrax kit says uses mostly genuine parts but worthwhile cross checking prices with the club discount.
I get mine from the local dealer but get good discount.

1 and 3 don't know.

2. You can make 3 blanking plates quite easily. I used some 3mm ali plate for the air crossover pipe and some 5mm steel plate for the exhaust manifold.

As I have been out of the loop for a while, I thought I would ask a couple of questions as I go through my 80.
I have searched quite a bit on here and have found lots of useful info for doing the work but the main things are obtaining the actual parts.
1. I am going to install a separate trans cooler, but are there any recommendations for a good unit to put in?
2. EGR removal blanking plates supplier, thought I had got away with this as its an import but the valves are there.
3. The big one, going to rebuild the front axle hubs and wheel bearings. When I search there are so many suppliers, but is anyone doing a complete kit that would be recommended as I know last time you could buy complete kits but then order bearings from somewhere else as they were better for example.
As mentioned. Rufftrax. Thats a great kit and oem where it matters.

I get asked often for a price on oem service parts and i always point them to rufftrax. You wont find a better price on things like oil filters, disks,pads,koyo wheel bearings and they do some great kits.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I got hold of a combined power steering and auto box cooler out of a fairly recent Jag. It's thin and well made and about the same width as the rad on an 80. Cost was under £30 iirc but I have yet to fit it.

Speak to Gav Peter on here about the blanking plates.

No worries, i have had them before and i think mine may have been the first set years ago that are the patern.
I have emailed gav.

Back