Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Cracked pipe, what is it?

JimmyLJ71

Been under the truck again today trying to find a pesky vibrating noise, in the process i found a cracked pipe, what is it? is it important?, still can't find out what is vibrating :evil:

DSCF1158.jpg

DSCF1157.jpg

Yes it is a 2.4, thought it may be the EGR pipe but don't really know what one is or if i need to sort asap.

Getting too dark to look for the same pipe on mine but if it is the EGR it's naught to worry about ;)

Many thanks
Doesn't the EGR pipe vent into the exhaust?

If so won't the exhaust be leaking/blowing back through the crack?

uh huh, touché. I was under the thinking of "damage to the vehicle" etc... EGR stands for Exhaust Gas Recirculation, it's supposed to lower emmisions but also makes the engine run hotter and slower. Most people blank it off. Indeed, it will be full of exhaust gases and if the MOT man finds the crack it will fail (didn't think of that either). It doesn't look like much will leak out at the moment, certainly not dangerous IMO but a spot of weld won't hurt

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Had a look on mine.

The pipe looks to run from the cast section of exhaust at the back of the turbo, behind the engine block, and to the bottom of the cast pipe that has the egr valve sitting on top (the space ship thing!).

You will be losing a small amount of pressure, so maybe reduced performance, although its a tiny crack, so you probably wouldnt notice.

Looking at the pipe, its a definite crack in solid metal, doesnt look like its weakened by corrosion. Its entirely possible this is either realted to, or a result of, something vibrating - as its so solid metal at each end, i'd be looking at an engine mount allowing the crack end to move a fraction, whereas the egr valve end is held solid.

I wouldnt fancy taking it off to weld, the end you have photographed isnt so bad to get to, but the other end would need a fair bit removing, so either weld in-situ, or even one of the 'liquid metal' types products, but you need to sort the cause first, otherwise it'll happen again.

Cheers

Pete

Jimmy,

Just a thought, dont want to teach you to suck eggs etc, but try holding a long metal rod against various bits of the area and put your ear to it, may help isolate the area of the vibration.

Cheers

Pete

The vibration seems to come from somewhere at the front of the tunnel, it looks as though that pipe is vibrating and hitting the engine, as a shiny mark, i can't see it doing it though :(

I only seem to get it on idle, its not so bad when i put the auto box into drive, and it doesn't do it whilst driving.

Baffles me

The white lips on the crack will be the residue of gas being blown out.

Difficult to dianose noises, could be anything from a mount to the gearbox layshaft bearings.

Exhaust balance weights also feature in discussion a lot recently.

Pete

Clever people use a device to measure the frequency of the vibration and then work out what part rotates at that speed :shock:

I just ignor it or give it a little off road hammering which is kill or cure :lol:

Am sure the exhaust dampers are a harmonic damper to stop a resonant frequency, if I could only remember what it all ment!

Don't think it is exhaust, i don't have much, just a down pipe and a side exhaust.

Last time i had a vibration it was the pipe come off the snorkle, it made a heck of a racket, don't think it is that this time.

I am going to have a good look this weekend, get some help from my Dad, or not because he is going deaf :lol:

Need to get it sorted, i'm off to Morocco next year, it will drive me nuts :roll:

Back