Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

crank puller

Ben

Guru
Country Flag
australia
i need to replace the front crank shaft oil seal on my 2.4 LJ70.

ive stripped it down and managed to get the main crank bolt out, by turning the engine over with a ratchet on the bolt, wedged against the chassis.

but im now struggling to get the pulley off.

the manual says to use a crank puller, but im not sure which one to get as there seems to be a few different sizes on the bay

does anyone know which size i need? :)

theyve got 3", 4" and 6" ones:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-75mm-3-3-JAW- ... 1283wt_698

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-100mm-4-3-JAW ... 1340wt_698

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-150mm-6-3-JAW ... 1288wt_698

or theres one that looks a bit different:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Gear-Puller-Garag ... 013wt_1049

PICT0001.jpg

PICT0002.jpg

I used one of the 3-arm ones when I took the pulley off my LJ70. I was doing it as the harmonic damper had split and I needed to take both parts of the pulley off to glue back together.

It's much easier to do if you take the time to remove the radiator and grill etc.

Cheers

ben said:
managed to get the main crank bolt out, by turning the engine over with a ratchet on the bolt, wedged against the chassis
Really :!: :shock: :lol: Awsome m8 :clap: That took some balls :)

Why not make yourself a puller from a bit of flat bar & the appropriate sized bolts, that two legged one wouldn't be a trouble to make at all :) I made a tiny little three legged puller to remove the clutch from off of my V70's air con pump, took me less than 30min to make :thumbup: Twas a bit rough but did the job :D

Here's some pics of it :)

P6030194.jpg

P6030193.jpg

P6030190.jpg

P6030189.jpg

P6030188.jpg

P6020168.jpg

P6020157.jpg

P6020152.jpg

P6020151.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Richard Jackaman said:
I used one of the 3-arm ones when I took the pulley off my LJ70. I was doing it as the harmonic damper had split and I needed to take both parts of the pulley off to glue back together.

It's much easier to do if you take the time to remove the radiator and grill etc.

Cheers

thanks mate. it would have been easier to remove the radiator, but there is quite a bit of room between the rad and engine once the fan is off. :thumbup:

Birder said:
It dont look like those ben, it uses 2 bolts

pully-tool.jpg

not sure if it big enough but, there you go

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/13pce-HARMONIC-BA ... 5d2ebb78bb

but you will need 2 8mm bolts

or

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Harmonic-Flywheel ... 5d2d0d5db9

just do a search on ebay for puller kit

thanks mate. i bought a 3 legged draper one in the end. £12 from charlies. :thumbup:

id love a copy of the 70series toyota manual youve got, if you wouldnt mind? :pray:

sae70 said:
ben said:
managed to get the main crank bolt out, by turning the engine over with a ratchet on the bolt, wedged against the chassis
Really :!: :shock: :lol: Awsome m8 :clap: That took some balls :)

Why not make yourself a puller from a bit of flat bar & the appropriate sized bolts, that two legged one wouldn't be a trouble to make at all :) I made a tiny little three legged puller to remove the clutch from off of my V70's air con pump, took me less than 30min to make :thumbup: Twas a bit rough but did the job :D

yes it was a bit of a worry, i wasnt sure if it would do any damage to the engine, but after thinking about it i came to the conclusion that 1 quick burst of the starter should be enough to loosen the bolt, and if the engine is spinning the wrong way, the worst that would happen is the ratchet would click.

ideally id have used an impact wrench and would have taken the rad out and then just put the rattle gun on and wizzed the bolt straight out. :thumbup:

your puller looks good, nice work. i could have made one, but i thought it would be easier to nip out and buy one as i had to go to Shrewsbury anyway. :thumbup:

ive got the puller so will hopefully have the pulley off tomorrow. :thumbup:

ive just realised that the cambelt will have to come off. ive not changed/fitted cambelts before, so im not quite sure what to do, so as i dont effect the timming and ultimately destroy my engine. :?

any advice/help would be much appreciated. :pray:

if you look in the other place Ben, you,ll see a very recent thread about timing belt change complete with pictures

rikm777 said:
if you look in the other place Ben, you,ll see a very recent thread about timing belt change complete with pictures

thats perfect, thanks. :thumbup:

hoping to get it all done tonight after work. :)

*update time.

so id just bought a draper puller.

PICT0001.jpg

i attempted to remove the bottom crank pulley with the draper puller i bought, but unfortunately it damaged the pulley by not pulling it off squarely. :thumbdown:

PICT0002.jpg

PICT0003.jpg

but i still had to get the dam thing off...........................so i then did what i should have done in the first place. raided the scrap pile and got myself a piece of 40mm box and drilled 3 holes in it. welded a nut to the box on the middle hole and used 2 small fine thread bolts to bolt it to the pulley and then used a bigger bolt in the middle with my welded captive nut to slowly pull the pulley off. worked perfectly. :thumbup:

PICT0010.jpg

PICT0013.jpg

PICT0014.jpg

PICT0015.jpg

but it was now damaged. :thumbdown:

PICT0023.jpg

so a quick phone call to mr Karl and a 100mile round trip later and i had a replacement pulley, for what i can only imagine must have been 1/30th of the price mr toyota would have wanted. :thumbup:

managed to remove the cambelt and re-fit it easily enough. i just marked where all the pulleys were, and made a mental note of how much tension the belt was under.

finally finished putting it back together tonight, and it fired straight up and sounds sweet. :thumbup:

and most importantly the oil leak has gone. :D

Back