Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Crank shaft damage

Wayne Meyer

Country Flag
south_africa
I was trying to remove the plate behind the front end crank casing to replace that gasket. I put great torque with a gear puller as well as a crow bar to remove these gears. I did notice that the crank shaft gear did move forward a fraction of a mm. Not sure if it was the gear or the whole crank shaft. I didn't get the gears off and gave up and put it all back together again. But now when I run the engine there is a knocking sound at the bottom of the engine. Any ideas what could have caused this?

I’m not familiar with your particular engine but if you’ve forced the crankshaft forward somehow then that could have increased the endfloat beyond spec which would give a bottom end knock. Has the oil pressure changed?

I’m not familiar with your particular engine but if you’ve forced the crankshaft forward somehow then that could have increased the endfloat beyond spec which would give a bottom end knock. Has the oil pressure changed?
My oil pressure gauge is unfortunately not that reliable. If I have increased the end float would I be able to correct this by removing the sump and not having to remove the crankshaft?

The endfloat is measured with the crank in situ. On the later 1H series engines the endfloat is adjusted with thrust washers. Which engine do you have?
Post up your vehicle model/year/fuel type/engine size etc and someone else more familiar with them may be able to respond with more detail.

The endfloat is measured with the crank in situ. On the later 1H series engines the endfloat is adjusted with thrust washers. Which engine do you have?
Post up your vehicle model/year/fuel type/engine size etc and someone else more familiar with them may be able to respond with more detail.

It's a 1983 2F petrol engine.

Back