Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Crossing Africa.... What a great video !!

Saw that a while ago. Cracking film from simpler times

Amazing show. In fact so absorbing I did not realise it was not a video, but a series of stills, until half way through! A top quality camera and photographer well up to he standards of todays diy digital.

1959 in a battered old truck with a couple of Primus stoves. Well there's a lesson for us all.

Wow,
That’s an adventure!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
That was great. Had to chuckle when a picture showed a Land Rover appear on scene. Right on cue, the next photo showed it with it’s bonnet up and it was seen no more. :lol:

Such an amazing film, that's me . . . in my dreams.

Me too Chas. it would be great to go back to Africa and do a smilar route

For anyone who has any sense of the real dangers that lurk, anywhere in Niger, Chad, Central Af Rep, and Northern Congo are really no go areas... unless you're one of the "it'll never happen to me" brigade.

Sadly too many parts of the world are no longer explorable, because the "friendly smiling and willing help", is now the "demanding money for help and assistance". The huge amount of un-mapped ordinace in many places doesn't help. In northern Tanzania near the Burundi border last year, we came across a road that had been deliberately blocked with trees and rocks, with little option but to stop. Out of the bush came the "help" who wanted money and a toll-fee, for help and assistance.

Great video of travel that will never now be possible.

Perhaps shipping the trucks to windhoek in namibia then drive up to botswana zimbabwe zambia malawi tanzania and southern kenya would be worthwhile with a return through mozambique and south africa and back to windhoek.
A retirement plan which is by no means a plan yet but on the bucket list.
Unexpected “assistance” is still likely in these countries. If you run into them, immediately asking for directions with confidence and a smile and offering a pack of ciggies and a fiver for their trouble often takes the wind out of their sails and an incident is avoided. Often the helper is a policeman!!

offering a pack of ciggies and a fiver for their trouble often takes the wind out of their sails and an incident is avoided. Often the helper is a policeman!!

Therein I'm afraid is part of the root cause... Too many Eurpoeans have spoilt parts of the developing world by offering money, sweets, smokes, and booze to locals for help, believing they're doing the right thing. It's now become expected..even demanded. Even little kids run beside you crying out cadeau, bonbon... with adults expecting Christmas box, or some bribe to continue...

Last edited:
Therein I'm afraid is part of the root cause... Too many Eurpoeans have spoilt parts of the developing world by offering money, sweets, smokes, and booze to locals for help, believing their doing the right thing. It's now become expected..even demanded. Even little kids run beside you crying out cadeau, bonbon... with adults expecting Christmas box, or some bribe to continue...
Indeed but avoiding confrontations is my recommendation. It would be a shame to either not go or be harmed when avoidable.

FYI a german overlander was murdered a few weeks ago in DRC. I've just spent a few days with some of the people who helped sort out the aftermath.

As Olazz said unfortunately to many travellers who think paying a small bribe or giving a small cadeau is acceptable makes things worse for everyone.

If anyone is interested in guided tours of Mali or Mauritania between Feb and September I have some good contacts who live out there and offer guided tours

They don't make cars like that any more , and people are worried about visiting Europe after Brexit :lol:

Great vid , i admire the guys honesty when he said "we visited my father for a few days" but it did take something away from the "what can't we do if we try" mindset it provoked in me personally .

A great achievement non the less and an experience never to be forgotten :clap:

The most relaxing, Interesting, and Inspiring thing iv watched in a long time... love the fact on the second day in Northern Africa They had to whip the head off and grind the valves. (At the side of the road)

Sadly too many parts of the world are no longer explorable, because the "friendly smiling and willing help", is now the "demanding money for help and assistance". The huge amount of un-mapped ordinace in many places doesn't help. In northern Tanzania near the Burundi border last year, we came across a road that had been deliberately blocked with trees and rocks, with little option but to stop. Out of the bush came the "help" who wanted money and a toll-fee, for help and assistance.
Very sad, but that's the world of today. :cry:

Back