Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Cruise control....??

Danny b

Country Flag
uk
Was cruise control an option on the Colorado's? Mine is a VX d-4d lwb, very good spec but the only thing I feel it needs is cruise control.

While doing an onboard diagnostic check today a green light was eliminated 'cruise' which lead me to thinking some my have it.

Next question could it be retrofitted?

Thanks
Danny

I too will be interested to see what light this throws up. I have a D4D Collie same spec VX but have always thought that CC was what it lacked. Now at the moment running a year older V6 GX with CC I find the facility of having it a definite bonus.
I'd guess it may have been a factory option ( on diesels) but don't know, it seems that all petrols had it. I would also guess that retro fitting one would be quite involved . I'd like to think all you had to do was fit a S/H CC enabled steering wheel, the unit which controls the actual speed ( throttle control unit), and the ECU and it would work, However I feel there may be more to it than that.

Not sure what years we're talking about here but the Aug 1997 sales brochure shows CC available only on the petrol VX and 'not available' on all other versions.

As far as I know retro fitting the activator, ecu and controls should be all that's needed, I may be corrected but my understanding is that Toyota have a one loom fits all policy so as to cut production costs, unlike other manufacturers who only fit a loom tailored to what the customer ordered.
you should ideally get everything possible related to the CC from the donor

I'm fairly sure it's a petrol only feature on the 90 series. Never seen a diesel with cruise. Would love it myself, but only Toyota Genuine, wouldn't trust a cheapo after market one I don't think

Are the controls via a stalk or on the steering wheel? It only got me thinking as the cruise control light came on during diagnostic test.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yes stalk on steering wheel, press end to activate, TBH like Bob I've never seen a 90 diesel with CC either. The challenge is set !!!

Yes stalk on steering wheel, press end to activate, TBH like Bob I've never seen a 90 diesel with CC either. The challenge is set !!!

Andy could you get a couple of pics from you petrol model? Stalk, actuator and if you can get to it cruise control ecu. I will try and establish if the wiring is there.

Both my daughters have '07 RAV4 XT5s, with the 2.2 litre D-4D motor (six-speed manual). They have Cruise Control.

My 2001 100 'VX', 4.2 litre 1HD-FTE motor, 4-speed auto has Cruise Control.

So there doesn't seem to be a technical reason for denying the 3.0 litre Diesel 90s the option.

It sounds like a Sales & Marketing issue to me.

Bob.

Andy could you get a couple of pics from you petrol model? Stalk, actuator and if you can get to it cruise control ecu. I will try and establish if the wiring is there.
Will do but it won't be today, cheers Danny.

Hi long time lurker 1st time poster I have had my colorado diesel for 3 years now but not had reason to post till now. The previous (and 1st owner) of my cruiser had an after market cruise control fitted by the dealer when 4 months old so with at least the dealers if not toyota's approval . The original manual has wiring diagrams for an ap150 and ap250 cruise controls so I assume one of these must have been fitted.

Hi long time lurker 1st time poster I have had my colorado diesel for 3 years now but not had reason to post till now. The previous (and 1st owner) of my cruiser had an after market cruise control fitted by the dealer when 4 months old so with at least the dealers if not toyota's approval . The original manual has wiring diagrams for an ap150 and ap250 cruise controls so I assume one of these must have been fitted.
Firstly welcome Roger. What year is your Colorado and is it manual or Auto?

Pretty sure I've seen plenty of 90 series diesels running around with cruise control from factory. Mine doesn't but I would love to source the parts from a donor to make it work. On the other hand the cheap cruise method would be to use one of those vacuum operated ones that holds the throttle cable in a set place. Not as good, but a cheap alternative.

I would be inclined to say all you really need is a complete cruise control unit/system off another D4D engine.
You don't necessarily have to have steering wheel controls as you could retrofit switches to the dash or a stalk to the steering column.
Just my 2p worth.

With fly by wire, surely the cruise set up would be quite simple, ie. a plug-in for the ecu. If I know how Toyota work, then the wiring loom is probably already there...(this was the case on an Iveco box van I had a while back, plug & play) so perhaps an easier retrofit than some...or am I missing something?

Back