Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Cruise control....??

OK so the clutch switch on a manual is Toyota part 88280 14030

It's used on everything they have made in the last 25 years by the looks of it. It appears as though the cable is already in the truck, so hope to get the parts during the week and replicate the fine work done by Danny

Will do. The most bizarre thing in this is that all of this wiring etc is there, but according to what I can find, Toyota did not offer cruise as an option from new on the diesels (speaking for Irish market here)

Ordered a genuine stalk and clutch switch today from fleabay, so I'll report back on how it goes on a manual

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'll see when I get one off an 80 steering wheel and report back. I can compare with the petrol one if necessary.

Well, I had a go and didn't get far. Got the stalk off an 80 wheel ( which looks like a 90 wheel at first glance but is completely different) and connected it. Nothing at all. I didn't get so far as to look for a missing fuse or similar as I was a bit short on time but the stalk and the wires were the same as the one on the petrol.
One thing Bob, you will need the mounting bracket to fit the switch to the wheel as it doesn't fit directly to the wheel itself.
Will have another look when time allows.

Update time....

Great success! We have fully functional cruise control for less than the price of a gallon of oil. Its really as simple as it appears. I've done a similar job to Danny, although mine is a manual so the addition of the clutch switch was needed. For anyone wanting to carry out this mod:

You will need: 88280-14030 (Clutch switch assembly) & 84632-34011 (Stalk)

Remove the airbag unit (I always disconnect the battery for this bit) and run the cables into the connector on the clock spring. On this - the wires connect to the pins next to the horn wire, red to the right then black.

IMAG0899_zpskclqrard.jpg

IMAG0901_zpsoejicpgy.jpg

The stalk itself has to be mounted to the steering wheel frame - as Andy suggested, it uses a bracket to do this. I didn't have this bracket, so I made with some light aluminium that I forgot to take a picture of - but holds it steady as a rock.

Then replace the bolt that limits clutch pedal return with the switch unit seen here. The wiring loom for this is already in place. it can be found taped to the bulkhead up near the steering column.

IMAG0907_zpsr2qna5r4.jpg

Put the airbag back in and reconnect the battery and voila! Cruise is active...

IMAG0904_zpsd2tb2wnl.jpg

Took it out on the road and tested everything, and it works exactly as indicated on the stalk. Auto cancel on both brake and clutch works perfectly. Happy days!

IMAG0903_zpsiwqga9ui.jpg

Cut a 28mm hole in the cover, and put a piece of rubber in it to keep out the dust.

IMAG0909_zpsxeevpkk4.jpg

I can't believe its that easy and cheap, but there you are! Thanks for being a pioneer on this Danny!

Wish it was this easy on the KZ haha nice write up Bob! And you'll be hitting 300k soon :sunglasses:

Reactions: Bob
Fly by wire has its advantages!

Brilliant, could I have a link to the switch you bought as obviously the 80 switch wont transfer (3 wires).

No worries Andy. I'm not convinced that it's designed for the 90 wheel in terms of physical fitment inside, though very easy to fit (start from the wheel centre, not the outside) but in terms of operation it's perfect. I have a feeling the internals are the same on the 2 wire stalks, but the plastic mount is not

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262551655239

No worries Andy. I'm not convinced that it's designed for the 90 wheel in terms of physical fitment inside, though very easy to fit (start from the wheel centre, not the outside) but in terms of operation it's perfect. I have a feeling the internals are the same on the 2 wire stalks, but the plastic mount is not

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262551655239

Guess what I did today in a spare 3/4 hour this afternoon? Yes Cruise Control for under£16. Simple as Bob says, biggest challenge is fitting it to the steering wheel ( which it wasn't designed to fit). I got some pins out of another plug and joined them to the 2 wires after snipping off the wrong plug and inserted them straight into the socket on the steering wheel.
Took it for a spin up the road, works as it should.
It would be nice to transpose the internals into the original petrol stalk so it fitted straight to the steering wheel though.

Nice one Danny for starting the thread and Bob getting the right stalk and finishing it.:thumbup:

This is a must for all Collie D4D owners.

Reactions: Bob
Great stuff Andy.. I have it nearly a month now and I don't know how I survived so long without it!
I even did a test run on how it affects economy when we had a weekend away- Home to Westport and back - far side of the country, and I got 520 miles from a full tank using cruise for long stretches at 60 mph. That was 32.1mpg when i calculated back the amount of diesel I had to replace.

It really should be top of any list for mods!

:banana-wrench:Long Live Cruise!

Perhaps @Crispin might add this to the Sticky on the 90 section?

Hi guys im new to this forum and have been searching for ages last year to fit cc to my 2002 3.0 d4d now within this search I di buy a stalk that has 3 wires white/black, red, white is this the correct stalk to do the job as ive had it all plugged in last year and couldn't get it working. Can anyone help please

Update... WE HAVE CRUISE CONTROL...
Only a quick drive up a short road but it worked. Will test resume function etc this evening. I have RE located the pins in my plug to get it working.
Hi Danny what pins did you relocate have you a diagram

Back