Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Cruise control....??

Yeah that's correct. I just checked back and Andy Lomas did wire his the same way and his was an auto. How did you connect the wires in at the steering wheel. I pulled two pins from another unused connector and put them in the empty spaces. I only ask as it can mean a missed connection if you put the cable in on its own. Try reversing them and see if it works. The light should come on, but the system only works beyond 30mph as far as I can see.

The only other thing I can think of is if there is a switch for the brake pedal like the clutch one on the manual that needs a new switch in place of what's there? I would have thought it's already there, as the brake light switch on the pedal in a manual also feeds the cruise.

Think my 80 has cruise control but i have no idea how to use it or why i might want to use it ?

Shayne it's an absolute must if you do any long spins.. especially on quieter roads or with speed checks. It was the only one of the 3 cars here without it and I don't know how I did runs to the South of France before I put it in...

Yeah that's correct. I just checked back and Andy Lomas did wire his the same way and his was an auto. How did you connect the wires in at the steering wheel. I pulled two pins from another unused connector and put them in the empty spaces. I only ask as it can mean a missed connection if you put the cable in on its own. Try reversing them and see if it works. The light should come on, but the system only works beyond 30mph as far as I can see.

The only other thing I can think of is if there is a switch for the brake pedal like the clutch one on the manual that needs a new switch in place of what's there? I would have thought it's already there, as the brake light switch on the pedal in a manual also feeds the cruise.
I couldn’t find a way to use the original plug so I used small spade connectors & insulated them using heat shrink.

Attachments

• A8CFC3FF-B6EE-42CF-813B-B625D7930291.jpeg
    A8CFC3FF-B6EE-42CF-813B-B625D7930291.jpeg
    270 KB · Views: 86
Hmmm.. I wonder is that the issue. I used the original plug by taking pins from elsewhere although if everything is connected it should work. I just wonder if its making a good contact

Well the horn works & you can't really make a bad connection. Even if the connection was not great, I think you would still get some evidence of a connection like at least the cruise light but I have nothing at all. I'm at a loss now like I should just give up but I really want cruise or the 90 will have to go ha ha.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Have you looked into the switch at the brake pedal? If there was a different one needed? The system won't activate unless the cut out switch is connected. I don't know if the original for the brake lights will send the signal.

No, I have no real idea what exactly I'm looking for when it comes to this switch thing.

Pop your head in under the steering wheel.. you may have to lie on your back.. there will be a small cylindrical switch attached near the brake pedal lever that it contacts when in its resting position. When you press the brake pedal, it releases the spring contact and closes the switch inside - this lights up the brake lights. On an Auto, I think it also enables the gear selector to be moved, but I'm not 100%. This switch should also feed the ecu for cruise control.

Looking about I stumbled on a French site where a user who installed cruise said you don't need an additional switch for an auto.. so I'm not really full of many more ideas. Did you try reversing the wires from the cruise switch into the steering wheel connector?

I think the steering wheel switch is just a bunch of switched resistors so in theory shouldn't matter which way round you have them. No harm in trying though. FWIW the cruise control on my 90 is quite savage, going almost 3/4 throttle for a couple of km/h reduction on a gentle hill.

Would also be worth remembering if you're doing this for towing on long trips the manual recommends not using cruise control (or overdrive for that matter) on towing assignments. O/D is understandable but not sure why you can't use cruise control. Perhaps because it drives it overrides or prevents the full use of the torque converter lockup or similar.

On flat ground thought the cruise seems to work quite well, probably as good as my 2010 car.

Paul, if you have the wrong switch it won't work. I've fitted a few for folks ( all autos) and the thing I've noticed is that all the ones I've fitted have has a red wire and a white wire. You may be as well off with a CC switch S/H from a period Yaris or similar.

This is what my Australian domestic market one looks like. Not sure if you get symbol based ones because of Europe or what.

IMG_20210513_191103_735.jpg

This is from a post on the 3rd Gen 4Runner forum (similar to a Prado 90). Even if you don't have resistors floating about you should be able to simulate the on/off.

Quote:
Looking at my paper '99 EWD, the stalk signal switch sends FOUR different signals to the Cruise ECU.

Off Open to ground on T15 green-black of the CC ECU
On 0Ω to ground on T15 green-black of the CC ECU

RESUME/ACCEL 68Ω to ground on T3 solid green to CC ECU
SET 198Ω to ground on T3 solid green to CC ECU
CANCEL 418Ω to ground on T3 solid green to CC ECU

Source: Toyota-4Runner.org - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

Just fitted it on my 2001 d4d. Worked straight away. Well pleased.

okay. thanks. i will read through comments. or, if you wish to make a post summarizing the steps you took it would be appreciated

All the information is in the posts but on mine it was fairly simple. 2 wire cruise control stalk as listed above. Disconnect the batteries. Remove the air bag, one screw either side behind the small panels on the wheel. Mount the stalk, i had to trim a couple of bits of plastic and drill a small bolt hole in the wheel and secure the stalk. I did away with the white plug for the horn connection and fitted small insulated crimps. Connect as earlier in the post. Reconnect the batteries. Test drive time. It all worked. Disconnect batteries and refit airbag. Trim the small popout panel around the stalk.

Please note that mine is a kd engine and an automatic so your's may be different.

Back