Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Crunching sound when driving

Oli.g

Country Flag
england
Hi everyone, another problem! May aswell have bought a landrover

Went to pick up some steelies today and after a problem free journey 40 mile each way i got a mile from home and heard a weird metal crunch, its not constant but it does it once im going along randomly, ive only drove it home

Sorry for the bad description but its hard to explain what it is haha its not constantly so i can drive slowly along and it might not do it but then it might start doing it a few metres down the road, i camt find anything lose on the car but the passenger side drive shaft feels like it has a little play going into the diff?

If anyones had anything similar or has any rough ideas on what they think it could be itd be much appreciated!

Thank you!

Hi mate. Under what conditions do you get the noise? Where does it sound like it's coming from? There are many things it could be but knowing the conditions under which it occurs will help... E.g... When you accelerate, when you brake, turn... Under load... Off load etc.

Appologies for the blunt post!

It happens when ever moving, under load or without load but its not constantly which is why its hard to explain haha
you can hear it and feels it through the floor in the front seats when driving if it starts doing it
Im going to try drain the fromt diff oil and see what comes out

Front passenger side diff seals been leaking and a brown creamy colour fluid came out, doesnt look clean at all and it overflowed out the fill hold so does that seem like water has gone in an killed my diff

20200111_122643.jpg

Ouch , crunching suggested gears to me but not enough info to set you worrying about that . Sieve the old oil see if there's any metal in there you might have got away with it .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just drop a magnet probe in it and see what comes out.

Now the front diff oil in a Collie has a really easy life and really needs changing very rarely. That looks terrible. Like Shayne says, you might have got away with it. It's hard to tell. But I'd flush that through and drop it again. It's not much oil. On the brighter side, your truck looks pretty nice underneath. Are you sure it's not a wheel bearing going?

Cheers for the replies lads, ill check the old oil and let you know! The drain bolt suprisingly only had tiny bits of filings on it and nothing id imagine out of the ordinary for the age of the truck?

ive filled it to the fill hole and took it round the block and its not made the noise but it wasnt a constant noise which is why its annoying, ill take it for a gentle drive to the shop and see if it happens again, if it does well try record it. i only took it home when i first heard it and it was only occasionally doing it. My mrs said thats surely if it was my diff gears it would do it constant or every rotation of the gears if it had took a tooth off which she has a point haha. Looking through the drain hole the gear could see was fine but it could be worn or another gear causing it.

I thought wheel bearing or maybe cv shaft? But wheel bearing normally hum and i stupidly have a side exit straight through exhaust so i cant hear much hahah

Im going to take it to my mechanic for the seal but hes away till the 20th or id get him too look it over

Your mrs said that :wtf: :think: jeez some guys have all the luck .

Random thought check UJ's its usually vibration rather than noise that alerts us to a failing one but you never know .

She got lucky with that one i was shocked haha! Got stressed that it broke again and I was annoyed and ready to scrap it for a disco 2 she wouldnt let me

Took it for a 30 mile drive heard the noise a few times but it drives fine under load and coasting only done the noise a handfull of times and didnt sound as viscious as before..

After wheel bearing was mentioned, we listened out and when coasting you can hear a humming sound, i have maxxis bighorn muds and can hear it over them, ill jack it up and see if the wheel wobbles tomorrow,

I had west coast off road fit me a u/j not long ago due too a clunk when setting off but i didnt think about the other, ill try wobble it see if theres play

Thanks again for the suggestions i really appreciate it! Being skint and owning one of these isnt the best combination!

Keep heart mate its a Toyota which means even if its 20 years old we very rarely ever have to fix anything twice .

Thats what i thought shayne! Its 20 years old and it does put up with alot of abuse daily!

Is that a major job findrex? I had my rear output bearing and seal go not lomg after i bought her and was told its not a simple pop out an fit a new one as it had preload etc :(

Would the front one be the same or a simple swap while on the car while the seal is being replaced?

Thank you!

Not sure if the video will work but checked the front wheels and drivers side is quite wobbly to say the least hahaha

Attachments

• received_2953408221345371.mp4
    514.9 KB · Views: 25
Also if the videos do post i have this one too, its the cv shafts going into the front diff. Are they meant to have in and out play into the diff?
Im not mechanically minded so if this is a stupid question i apologise haha.

Attachments

• received_499722193987534.mp4
    4 MB · Views: 34
Those don't seem to have posted, but on the CV end float, yes the shafts should go in and out a bit. That's to take up the difference in your suspension height. Any wobble in a wheel is kind of a clue here.

Sorry! Ive uploaded it too youtube so hopefully the link will work

Thank you i had a feeling it couldve been something like that! Put my mind at ease! Haha

Hahah hopefully! Figers crossed i saved the diff and it just needs a seal!
Thank you all for the help!!

Ill order a new bearing in the morning, is there anything else i should order with it for the garage? I dunno if ill need seals or washers and stuff just so im prepared haha

Full bearing kits and if I were you I'd do both sides. You may find disc and pads are screwed with that amount of play.

Back