Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

CTEK 250sa with Victron BMV712

Howmanygoes

Country Flag
england
Afternoon all

after seeing a few of you with the monitoring last year I decided when I rewired I would go the same way. So I now have a victron bmv712.

i also run a ctek 250sa with both solar and starter battery supply

iam having an issue sorting out the location for all the -ve connections

ctek show a chassis -ve to the leisure battery and this is how I have always had it, with no issue.

The bmv shunt wiring diagram only shows a leisure battery connection to the battery side though with all the system/charger connections the other side (see images). The diagram also shows the starter battery connected to the system side of the shunt. So should may chassis ground go here too?

crude wiring diagram attached and both product drawings

Attachments

• 3A3642EB-E78F-4A17-873B-3BE3A598336E.png
    3A3642EB-E78F-4A17-873B-3BE3A598336E.png
    232.3 KB · Views: 93
  • 93EE5E9C-08E2-4396-9574-8C0F6515EEAC.png
    93EE5E9C-08E2-4396-9574-8C0F6515EEAC.png
    328.8 KB · Views: 103
  • FBFE5AFF-3F9C-46A4-9BBF-2D60F1175DB1.jpeg
    FBFE5AFF-3F9C-46A4-9BBF-2D60F1175DB1.jpeg
    147.2 KB · Views: 98
How I have my Redarc sort of the same
The power out of the charger needs to go straight to the 2nd battery+, I have an earth from the 2nd battery to the shunt and a main earth back to the starter battery I think but can't have a look at the moment lol

IMG-20181108-WA0015.jpeg
It doesn't look like this anymore, it's hiding behind the fridge but my earth to chassis is the one coming from the bus bar going down between pump and tank so the same as in your 1st diagram.

View attachment 165539
It doesn't look like this anymore, it's hiding behind the fridge but my earth to chassis is the one coming from the bus bar going down between pump and tank so the same as in your 1st diagram.
Great cheers so system side rather than off the battery. Hoped you would jump on the thread.

i remember having problems when i 1st installed it as it wasn't saying 20amps, for example, going into the battery when charging and @Chris told me to make sure i did something in the settings, cant remember what though :( and all was good after that. Ps. dont try to screw too many cables onto the negetive post of the ctek, the thread strips easily!

i remember having problems when i 1st installed it as it wasn't saying 20amps, for example, going into the battery when charging and @Chris told me to make sure i did something in the settings, cant remember what though :( and all was good after that. Ps. dont try to screw too many cables onto the negetive post of the ctek, the thread strips easily!
There speaks the voice of experience. I have a negative busbar if needed, separate to my fused distribution box.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
In my picture I haven't got the solar connected but that's why I have the bus bar, it stripped the thread with two cables as the screw thing isn't quite long enough

They do sell extended terminal screws

Afternoon all

after seeing a few of you with the monitoring last year I decided when I rewired I would go the same way. So I now have a victron bmv712.

i also run a ctek 250sa with both solar and starter battery supply

iam having an issue sorting out the location for all the -ve connections

ctek show a chassis -ve to the leisure battery and this is how I have always had it, with no issue.

The bmv shunt wiring diagram only shows a leisure battery connection to the battery side though with all the system/charger connections the other side (see images). The diagram also shows the starter battery connected to the system side of the shunt. So should may chassis ground go here too?

crude wiring diagram attached and both product drawings
Remove negative terminal from battery cable (the battery who’s load/charge you wish to monitor) and connect to the Victron shunt. Take a similar size piece of cable from the opposite end of the shunt to the negative terminal of the battery. Job done.

Just make sure any future negative connections are connected to the non-battery side of the shunt or in this case as you have that connected to vehicle body (best way) connect any future negatives to vehicle body.

Back