Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

CV Joints - 2001 100-Series, 4.2 'VX'

BobMurphy

Country Flag
scotland
In the fine tradition of "it never rains but it pours" I was checking the truck over before taking it for an MOT.....

No.1 daughter was using it to tow her horse yesterday - today I've got the N/S wheel arch, suspension and inner edge of the tyre covered in brownish-ish grease. The CV joint has gone :doh:.

Neither Roughtrax nor Milner stock them; so where is the best place to get replacements (I'll replace both while I'm at it) ??

I'll see what Simon Holton quotes for a Toyota genuine pair :whistle:.

Is it an MOT issue ???? I'll phone the garage and see what Charlie says :thumbup:.

Bob.

CV-joint boot gone doesn't necessarily mean CV-joint gone.
Pollution would be the MOT issue - flinging grease around.
The CV joints are very durable as long as they are sealed and well lubed. If this leak has been going on for a while, the joint might be damaged. If not, it can be cleaned, relubed and rebooted. One popular solution, if in a hurry, is to buy one new CV-shaft and change the leaking one, as that is a fairly quick job. Then you refurbish the old one and keep as a spare for the next time. They are the same left and right, so that's a benefit with this method.

Panic over - When I investigated properly I found that the CV boot had popped off the back of the CV and the grease had escaped. This was a new problem as I'd been working in that wheel arch only a day or so earlier. The retaining steel band had gone so it either worked loose or rusted through - though the O/S one looks to be in good order.

The old grease was cleaned out with paper towel and it was re-packed with Moly CV Grease. My CV Boot strap kit didn't look up to the job so I used a pair of SS jubilee clips joined together. The band is tight and it won't rot.

We have a track full of very deep potholes leading to the Livery Yard and a lot of people have had problems. I have had to replace drop links and suspension springs on the Ifor Williams Horse Trailer (my daughter drives that track faster than I do, but she isn't concerned about repairs !

The wheel arch and all surroundings were cleaned with Industrial cleaner and hot water, hopefully it won't be a problem come MOT-time on Wednesday.

Bob.

Back