Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Cylinder Head replacement

Mark N

Well folks, looks like it head replacement time for me :evil:

The head is off and confirmed as being warped - to buy genuine Toyota here in Uganda is 8,000,000USH (£2000) :roll: hence I'm looking for other options. So far from searching here and 'another forum' I have come up with these options but really would like to hear about personal experience and recommendation before I buy. (Obviously not going for Milners made in china).

SMS
EBAY
RoughTrax

Anybody happen to know how much a cylinder head weighs?

So any recommendations would be greatly appreciated! (Have posted on tlocuk too)
Regards
Mark

{Admin - fixed your 3rd link}

EBAY link seems like a wicked deal ...
maybe too good to be true? :think:

but, WOW!! sure would be tempting.

Bit puzzled by the description - OE Manufacture?

Toyota manufacture their own heads, so its either a genuine part or its a pattern part, I'm guessing that its a pattern at that price.

On saying that, they have mega feedback.

Pete

Looks like Roughtrax wont export the full head, just the casting, which is a shame, as that would be the best choice.

No price on the SMS kit, but it is mostly genuine parts, would be interested in the cost.

Pete

I got my replacement head from e-bay, ready to fit with new belt, gaskets and bolts......around £600. delivered.

Thanks for the feedback guys - if I have to get one I will probably go for the RoughTrax (there are ways round the export thing...it'll fit in a suitcase right :dance: ).

Spoke to my mechanic again today and as it's only chinese stuff available here (or the genuine T one) then he has gone ahead and had my head skimmed and will then check thoroughly if he will be able to get the valve clearances within spec and all the other critical dimensions. Seems to be worth a try so I will know more the middle of next week as he is away the weekend and doesn't trust his guys to do it.
Thankfully we have friends away at the moment that are lending us their 90 series! (Must not overheat this one... :roll: )

Thanks again,

Mark

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Crushers said:
EBAY link seems like a wicked deal ...
maybe too good to be true? :think:

but, WOW!! sure would be tempting.

Same thing on oz ebay for $990 or $440 bare.

Is that what's allowed to be repaired by skimming or is that the max that you can install a head with?

The Toyota manual does not advocate skimming. To do so would increase the compression ratio, change the valve timing and reduce the clearance between valves and piston.

To check the amount of warp you have, place a straight edge from corner to opposite corner on the head and using feeler gauges, measure the gap under the straight edge. Repeat on the other corners. If either reading exceeds the max. allowed, scrap the head.

If you are using a steel rule as the straight edge, take two readings using both edges of the rule. Average the two readings. This should cancel out any warp in the rule.

Roger

Mark N said:
Thanks for the feedback guys - if I have to get one I will probably go for the RoughTrax (there are ways round the export thing...it'll fit in a suitcase right :dance: ).

Spoke to my mechanic again today and as it's only chinese stuff available here (or the genuine T one) then he has gone ahead and had my head skimmed and will then check thoroughly if he will be able to get the valve clearances within spec and all the other critical dimensions. Seems to be worth a try so I will know more the middle of next week as he is away the weekend and doesn't trust his guys to do it.
Thankfully we have friends away at the moment that are lending us their 90 series! (Must not overheat this one... :roll: )

Thanks again,

Mark
Much of their stuff comes from China
Roughtrax are always looking for price v quality.
Depends on exactly how much you want to pay.
There is some very good Chinese things available, but at a stiff price though, so almost none of it ends up outside China.

Gra.

Gra.

There are two options where they specify AMC heads - these are made in Spain, although whether that is any better than China I dont know, but they have been around for about 50 years.

The AMC head for the 2.4 has some changes which are reputed to reduce the risk of cracking (improved cooling between 3 & 4 I reckon), although whether they have done the same for the 3.0 I dont know.

Pete

Back