Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

D-4D cutting out. Any ideas?

Animal Mother

Country Flag
wales
There's a potential that I could snap up a bargain 2006 120 D-4D. It's got 184k on it and it's an LC5 manual.

The chap says it keeps cutting out on him at idle, at lights, when starting (hot or cold).

It has been to Toyota and they've just replaced 2 injectors as they were out of tolerance, new EGR and new fuel filters. There was carbon buildup in the intake and related components which they've cleaned too.

The car, after this work is still cutting out. Toyota believe it may be the high pressure fuel pump.

Any thoughts of what it could be? My initial thoughts are one or a combination of:

High pressure pump
Dirty/faulty MAF
CPS faulty
Cracked common rail

Reminds me of my uncles Hilux when he put crappy biodiesel in it . "some sensor" was the best description he could offer me when a solution was eventually found .

I'm not overly familair with the D4D engine but I would have thought a faulty injector or maybe even 2 wouldn't caus to cut out completely. More likely to be the IP affecting all four cylinders IMO.

Last edited:
Just woke him from a drunken slumber and from his description a blocked suction control valve seems most likely .

Does it throw any codes?

A cracked common rail will show a fuel leak code.

SCV blockage is pretty common.

Does it throw any codes?

A cracked common rail will show a fuel leak code.

SCV blockage is pretty common.

Only codes for the injectors. They're sorted now, it still cuts out though.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks for the responses so far. By the responses, it sounds like it can be solved, and doesn't sound terminal. What do you think?

I just googled "2006 landcruiser d4d engine" thinking a the cost of a recon engine is your worst case scenario gambling stake .

I didn't find a recon but i did find some interesting reading .

Back