Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

D4D variants

Karlosfandango

Country Flag
uk
Is there any way to check which power version I have in the funbus? A search on here and tlcoc didn't prove very productive.

Isn't it on the bulkhead plate under your bonnet 1KD or 2KD something like that ?

Would that then signify what power it has? It's just a bit confusing when looking for parts (cough Lindop chip) to know if it is 161,163,170 bhp etc.

Is there any way to check which power version I have in the funbus? A search on here and tlcoc didn't prove very productive.

Look on your V5 registration document, Section 4, P.2. Max net power (kW), then a simple Google search conversion from kW to bhp will tell you which one you have, e.g. 127 kW = 173 bhp

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If you are looking at Chips & power, its a good idea to block off the EGR with a $7 blanking plate. You can also divert the cooling of the EGR straight back to the engine saving about 7c in coolant temp.
A spray can of decarb down the air intake in 2second bursts will clean out some of the buildup.
Not only do you get more power but the turbo spins up faster.

Funnily enough I stripped the egr/tb as far as the manifold and this is what I got out. There's probably as much again in the manifold but it felt much softer and oily.

I think I've read just about every thread on blocking the egr but still aren't sure if removing one of the vacuum pipes will do it or if it needs a solid blocking plate or one with a 7mm hole to relieve the back pressure from the turbo?
IMG_1727.JPG

gee!! my Fortuner 2014 TRD has 54K on it and I was horrified at the 1/4 inch of buildup.
I got the solid blocking & the 7mm hole and installed the solid blocking first. I have an Innova 31703 OBD2 scanner just incase I screw up but all has been good so far. I also took the PCV to the air cleaner via a catch can.
I also got a heads up at the factory in Thailand where I bought it that about 100K km start thinking about an injector change to avoid the burnt out pistons (lean injector problem on all 1KD). Here in OZ its about $2k for a set of injectors but you need to update the the ECU with the injector codes,,, so I might talk to Bosch when I get that far.
Happy Carbon hunting, Ed

Funnily enough I stripped the egr/tb as far as the manifold and this is what I got out. There's probably as much again in the manifold but it felt much softer and oily.

I think I've read just about every thread on blocking the egr but still aren't sure if removing one of the vacuum pipes will do it or if it needs a solid blocking plate or one with a 7mm hole to relieve the back pressure from the turbo?View attachment 136787

I need to do the same job. I also got the blanking plate so will do this when I get there.

Found it last night, pauper spec 163bhp :(
Same spec in mine. I also added a aftermarket boost chip and it did improve performance (thread on here somewhere) but occasionally on full acceleration it would go into limp mode, so I removed it.... I might add it back and then turn it down a tad

I've got the 163 bhp lc4 manual with a lindop chip ( the one you splice into the throttle)

I've had it fitted years (5?) With no issues. It has 3 settings, I usually run it on the middle setting, or have it on full for towing. I've had it that long I can't remember what the car was like before I fitted it!

I've thought about blanking the egr too, but, surprisingly, was advised against it by west coast offroad.

I need to do the same job. I also got the blanking plate so will do this when I get there.
Well finally got round to installing the blanking plate. I drilled a 7mm hole as this seems to be recommended. Wasn't to difficult, hardest part was removing the connector from the sensor as it is in a awkward place.

Next job is to clean the egr valve, but that is a messy job for another day

Last edited:
With the year and engine code investigating what hp Toyota claim you have shouldn't be difficult with stuff like this on the web . Toyota KD engine - Wikipedia - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club] but i wouldn't be surprised if Lindhop could tell you what you need using just your numberplate for identification .
Hi Shayne. I've just posted something related to this issue (KDJ120R-GKPEYW -> what's the KW / HP? - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]). I'm also trying to find out my car's KW and HP. What's the Lindhop? Where do I find it, and how do I use?

I saw Bhutan's post, but I don't have such document!
Look on your V5 registration document, Section 4, P.2.

Please advise.
Many thanks :)

Back